Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM

284 posts, read 499,516 times

Advertisements

I've moved to eight states in the past 16 years. I've lost count of the times I've moved within the states to however many cities trying to find a cheaper place to live 'cause the rent went up, but the move from state to state was always made spur of the moment, between jobs and without a real plan other than, "I'm bored here, let's see what [this state] is like." For nearly two decades, since my first divorce, everything I own (and this includes when I had three kids - though I made an effort to stay put longer when they were living with me) could fit into my car and be packed on very short notice. I've never been evicted. I just have itchy feet. Job? I can get one when I get wherever I'm going. Furniture? It's cheap at thrift stores. Place to stay? There's always hotels, motels, cheap month to month apartments, rooms to rent, or in extreme cases, my car (only happened once).

Just this past January, I packed my things in three suitcases and caught a train from MS to NM with no job and about $3K. So far, it's working out okay. It usually does for me, which is why I move so often I guess. ^_^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 AM

113 posts, read 895,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
I'm doing the same thing very shortly...packing eveything in the car and driving. But I DO have a job at my destination.
Than you're not just packing up and leaving. Finding a job, contacting them, phone interview (I'm guessing) takes lots of forethought and planning.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 AM

113 posts, read 895,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareCare View Post
Yes we have done this too, as recently as January of 2011. Both of us got jobs relatively quick, however one ended in December, been looking ever since so we are getting ready to do the same thing again. Crazy in the economy---maybe? But everything happens for a reason!
"Everything happens for a reason"...very dangerous thinking.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I've done this a few times in the past. I may do it again in the near future.

Good times!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
Yes and I have never regretted it!!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM

6 posts, read 11,031 times
Yes gas is high everywhere! But if you are unemployed and hate the place you live.....there is nothing better than the adventure and risk of trying something new! We are going from Omaha, NE to Clearfield, UT here in a few days without jobs but have a place to live. One of us is CNA so that should be easy and the other is in Accounting and Finance....but willing to do anything just to have work!! Life is full of risks and there are no guarantees! You never know where it might take you!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 PM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
I am so ready to do this.

It seems crazy but we are living somewhere we do not like and only wound up here because my husband got hired by a local business. We are not from here and it was okay but he was fired after less than a year on the job.

He never liked the job and felt it was going to be a failure despite his best efforts so he began looking here but the jobs are few and far between that pay decently--story you hear everywhere nowadays.

Anyhow we are just desperate to leave. We want to go where there are more jobs and more opportunities. I wish we could just get some sort of truck and take the essentials and go.

All the statistics and all the internet searching means nothing. He has had a few bites from his area of interest--one of the boom towns--but it's scary to just go to this this, move to a place thousands of miles away.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Go where you get a job. It has always worked out okay for me.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM

81 posts, read 192,235 times
Default Just Pack Up and Go!?

I have some guarded admiration for you. On one hand I admire the free spirit nature of your life style. On the other it appears reckless to live as you have moving from place to place. I guess it is OK to move around a lot and try various places, jobs, and lifestyles. I've known two people like this that I have met in person. One was a skilled machinist who worked making good money for six months of the year in the industrial northeast and moved to Texas for the colder six months taking odd jobs and doing free lance work as he could find it. The other was a lady cardiac nurse who worked for an agency that would send her to various parts of the country, or world, where they needed her. I met hr in the San Francisco area when my wife ended up in the hospital there. She said she never lacked for work. Her agency even found housing for her.

My father retired for the army and packed up the car with two small children in 1960 and moved to San Antonio, TX from Indian Town Gap, PA. My mother asked him who he knew in San Antonio, TX. He replied "absolutely nobody, but I am tired of snow." That may seem reckless, but he did have his army pension as a baseline. Fifty years later my parents have passed on, but I and my brother are still here.

For myself, employment wise I bounced around quite a bit till age 35 before I finally settled on education. I am now retired now, but do some free lance work sometimes just to keep occupied and entertained. My nomadic impulses were satisfied by staying in the Army Reserve and asking for summer two to three week tours in different parts of the country. I got to see what other places are like. Yes, there are more interesting places than San Antonio, in some respects. What you view as your stinky home town may be someone else's dream town refuge from their stinky hometown. Overall I think it is a mistake to think that where ever you are is a backwater and that "real life" happens somewhere else. "Real live" does happen somewhere else, but it happens where ever you are too.

I hope my ramblings have offered some incite for you.

Best Wishes and
I hope you find what you are looking for where you are looking for "it."

Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times
I did it in 1994. I had about a thousand in cash. One day I finally decided to go. Gave my notice at work, gone in two weeks. Did not regret any part of it. I left my small town in the Ozarks of Arkansas and moved to what was a big city for me, Salt Lake City. I knew some people there from church but no one very well.

The experience was exhilarating. I was on my own and doing what I wanted, answering to no one. I landed a job within days, worked my way into a better job down the line. I grew up through this experience in ways I hadn't previously. I was pretty young then and didn't know enough to be scared.

I'm tempted to do it again. Now, I'm not so young and kinda scared to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues