Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
etx

49 posts, read 105,717 times

Advertisements

I did in 97, had a place and a job within days like everyone else at that time. Its a bit sad reading these posts, our country has changed so much!

I'm trying to plan a move right now and I wish it were still 1997
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM

12,704 posts, read 14,876,224 times
I've never done it & will never do anything that spur of the moment. I'm a HUGE planner. Even if I did, I'd never do it without a job mainly & of course some kind of plan. I could care less about not knowing anyone since I've never had a lot of friends in my entire life anyway.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:37 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,894,926 times
My husband and I had no jobs, but we sure had plans. Would have never left home without one.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
I guess if money was no object i'd probably roam around for a few years looking for that perfect place

http://www.motorhome-rvcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/luxury-class-c-motorhome-2.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
With no job, no friends, and no real plan?
Did it once, albeit I had a fiancee waiting for me in the city where I moved but I still didn't move in with her. It was pretty low-risk back then because the economy was humming and the unemployment rate in the city where I moved to was 1.5%. Had a job and an apartment within 10 days.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,241,586 times
This thread is very interesting to me.

I have a little bit of money (but not a whole lot) and I'm currently unhappy.

I have been thinking about this...

Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
This thread is very interesting to me.

I have a little bit of money (but not a whole lot) and I'm currently unhappy.

I have been thinking about this...
Probably better to save up some more over the next few months. Hang in there and prepare at the very least and try to network and find work in the new place. If you are really unhappy then a change might be beneficial if it is your environment that is making you unhappy. One thing to remember though: We can never run away from ourselves. Wherever you go, There you are as they say.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,241,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Probably better to save up some more over the next few months. Hang in there and prepare at the very least and try to network and find work in the new place. If you are really unhappy then a change might be beneficial if it is your environment that is making you unhappy. One thing to remember though: We can never run away from ourselves. Wherever you go, There you are as they say.
Obviously on the bolded part.

I like myself, I'm not going to run away.

Some people want a change of scenery and something different besides living in the same area ones entire life. There are also ex's in some peoples life that they would like to get away from. Some do not really like where they are living and need to move anyway.

This topic is not about networking and looking. It's about going out and taking a chance on doing something different in life - "Just Pack (Up) And Move."

Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Obviously on the bolded part.

I like myself, I'm not going to run away.

Some people want a change of scenery and something different besides living in the same area ones entire life. There are also ex's in some peoples life that they would like to get away from. Some do not really like where they are living and need to move anyway.

This topic is not about networking and looking. It's about going out and taking a chance on doing something different in life - "Just Pack (Up) And Move."

And it is admirable. Of course many people change their lives. And quickly. A need for a "reset' of sorts. A fresh start. My statement was meant to address how one will meet their basic needs. Being prepared would ease a lot of the stress. Sure you can just get out of dodge with the cost of a plane, train or bus ticket. But money runs out fast if you have no income.

I am glad to hear that you have self-esteem and an understanding of all this. Just be safe, Make sure you are housed and fed. I have unfortunately never done this but believe me, Have thought of it and still do. i am 36 and not getting any younger.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM

23,973 posts, read 32,296,294 times
I have never done it but I know people who have done this, and it's appealing to me. I can't do it now because of certain family responsibilities, but I don't rule it out in the future.

I think people are entirely too attached to their past, their families of origin, and their home turf. It does take a certain type of bravado.

I also think we need to differentiate between adults who do this, and irresponsible parents who move all over the place because they are evicted or have personal problems.
That's selfish and wrong.

The idea of doing it before you have children - or after they are grown is a whole other story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues