U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM

20 posts, read 16,560 times
Default Considering a move from Austin, TX to Orange County, California

I'm 48 years old, divorced, single and seriously contemplating a move to Orange County, CA. Ever since I was a kid growing up on the East Coast I've dreamt of living somewhere near the beach and never acted on it. I was laid off from my job a few months back and am feeling that the time to move might be right. I'm very active, run marathons and generally feel very young for my age.

I know it might not be the smartest thing to contemplate a move without a job however I've done pretty good managing my money/investments and think I'm in good shape financially to pull it off. I have more than $200K in savings (seperate from 401(k), IRA). I have more than 20 years professional experience in high tech sales and operations and am reasonably comfortable I could land a decent paying ($80-100K) position within 6 months of a move.

The hard part is trying to dermine where to live without knowing where I might be working. Being in high tech I'm thinking I would most likely get a job based in Irvine. I have no ontention of living in Irvine as I want to be closer to the beach and am thinking either Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, or Newport Beach.

Just having a real hard time pulling the trigger on a move. Although I feel if I don't do it now then I never may and don't want to wait until retirement to enjoy everything a potential move to a beach town may have to offer. I can stay in Austin and look for work or follow a dream, move near the beach, and look for work. Hmmmm....What to do!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 05:34 PM

531 posts, read 174,436 times
What do you mean "what to do?" You know what to do and you know you want to do it.

So go do it. You'll be glad you did!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 AM

630 posts, read 1,446,181 times
I'm from CA, moved 4yrs ago to the east coast at the age of 47. I work in the High Tech field and I currently work with many of the major companies on the West Coast. I can tell you finding a job will NOT be easy. Most of the major companies are currently conducting layoffs (RIFTS). There are a lot of people that currently live there that are looking for jobs.

I've been looking to get back to CA. I have over 15 yrs experience in my field but there are few jobs and for each opening there are between 100-400 applicants. I wouldn't be considered from out of state either as all my family currently resides there, I have a CA phone number and address.

The move is doable, but finding a job is another story and getting a rental without a job will be difficult, as they won't accept full payment up front, best bet would be private rentals.

I wish you luck in your move and getting a job in a very tough economy. No matter what you need to do what is best for you.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
The move is doable, but finding a job is another story and getting a rental without a job will be difficult, as they won't accept full payment up front, best bet would be private rentals.
Thanks MagicTouch. Totally agree on the job front - Yes it will be difficult and if I didn't have substantial savings I wouldn't even think of doing something like this. However, renting a place without a job may not be as much of an issue. I'm prepared to show bank statements, investment accounts, etc....Plus I have great credit and a stellar rental history. I'd also be prepard to pay 3 or 6 months rent in advance if needed.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 PM

433 posts, read 552,434 times
Go for it! If not now, when?

I suggest you rent an inexpensive apartment anywhere you can find one, then move again once you've found a job and checked out commute times. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
Go for it! If not now, when?
Exactly what I've been thinking......I'm in analysis paralysis and just can't seem to pull the trigger. And indecision is the worst

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,125 times
I live in Orange County, California and my family and I are desperatly trying to move to Austin, Texas to have a better quality of life. Both my husband and I are employed, and are constantly struggling to make ends meet. Let me tell you I love California, but it is NOT what it used to be. Jobs are VERY hard to get, they are NOT paying as well as they used to because employers know that they have the upper hand to get the most out of employers without the pay. Think about it before you come to California ! Look for a job first !!! This is coming from someone who lives it day to day !! I understand the dream - go for it - just look for a job first ! Good Luck !

Old 12-30-2011, 06:10 PM

103 posts, read 43,506 times
There are no inexpensive apartments. Almost all apts around here in the Irvine and surrounding areas are owned by the Irvine Company and some are nice and some are rather ratty. Look at what's available on their website Rental-Living.com. They have some apts in Newport Beach. The least expensive apt in Newport Beach is $1645 for a 1 bedroom. Their cheapest apt anywhere is $1285 and its in an older property in a less desirable area of Irvine. Huntington Beach has lots of apts and some may be less, but then again HB is not as nice as NB, and Seal Beach would be a long commute if you were working in Irvine.
I doubt that you would fall in love with NB. Maybe Laguna Beach, maybe Seal Beach, but they are even pricier.
It's true what was said about 100-400 applicants for each job. A lot of people can't even get an interview. Plus the illegals are everywhere. I've been living here for over 30 years and things keep getting progressively worse. I'm here because I'm looking for a place to relocate. Your assets will become depleted pretty fast here. Run the numbers.
The best thing about living here is the weather. You can't beat it anywhere. But that is no longer enough of a reason to stay here.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 AM

525 posts, read 1,047,567 times
I am turning 47 and have always dreamed of living on the east coast. I am hoping a job transfer goes through for my husband so that we can make it happen this year. Believe me, I am the first one to say " Get me out of California!" but I completely understand you wanting to live out a dream!

I live in Los Alamitos, close to Seal Beach. It is a great little beach community and at your age it would be a good fit. It is pretty quiet but close to Belmont Shore and Huntington Beach, which is much bigger, and in my opinion not as friendly as Seal. You seem to be financially responsible and would probably know within the first six months whether you can sustain yourself, with or without a job. I know a lot of people will tell you how hard is is to find a job, and they are right, but only you can decided what is right for you. Is it more important to give your dream of living near the beach a try, or keep growing your savings account? I say, go for your dreams! You can always move back to where you know there is a job and you will never regret trying to live out your dream. A lot of people are dying to get out of CA for numerous reasons, (mostly financial) but you seem to have that covered. And let's face it there is good and bad in every city. I have heard wonderful things about Austin but you can probably tell us things that are not so great about. Only you will be able to decide if a town is right for you but you will never know if you don't try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues