Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else been in this situation? You know you need to move but just can't figure out where to go? There are pluses and minuses to anyplace. Spots like San Francisco are expensive for a reason, as is California in general. You pay for the weather and the beauty and interesting things to do. Spots like North Dakota are cheap for a reason (sorry to anyone in ND). ND has long and cold winters and I've driven through it and would not put it in the top ten for excitement.

Anyway, what do you do when you know you need to leave your current spot and yet can't seem to find a spot that excites you? In every move I've ever made I was excited to move there. I've narrowed my choices down to New Mexico or Portland/Vancouver, but there are huge drawbacks to both. And I'm not excited about either. Yet I refuse to buy another house in this state. Anyone else been in this spot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,272 times
Do you work from home or are you retired? Unfortunately, I have to go where the job takes me so I haven't been able to pick! I wish I had your flexibility. As far as not finding a spot that excites you...just have a good attitude and make the most of any place you go. I honestly think it is what you make of it.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Interesting that your two areas of choice are the antithesis of each other!

Where in NM?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
Do you work from home or are you retired? Unfortunately, I have to go where the job takes me so I haven't been able to pick! I wish I had your flexibility. As far as not finding a spot that excites you...just have a good attitude and make the most of any place you go. I honestly think it is what you make of it.
Unfortunately, neither. I am unemployed.

I think it makes a HUGE difference where a person lives. I lived in San Francisco area and was very happy there, with the exception of living so far from the city as it was all I could afford. However, I worked in the city and used to love to walk through all the diverse neighborhoods.

Where I live now is the opposite. Consequently, I'm not as happy and way more bored.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Interesting that your two areas of choice are the antithesis of each other!

Where in NM?
I know they are, aren't they? Portland/Vancouver is closer to the ocean (which I love) and NM is not. I like sunshine but I don't like being landlocked. So I'm in a bit of a conundrum with either. As far as NM, either ALB or Las Cruces. Las Cruces is close to El Paso (which is fine), but also close to Ciudad Juarez (where there has been a lot of violence and crime). Neither is ideal. The East is out, the Midwest is out (anywhere with extreme cold or high humidity with big bugs is out). Doesn't leave me too much to pick from. Oh, and it must be a blue state.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Yes it's true there are pluses and minuses to every place, some more than others. For me, the problem is that the places I would like to live don't have much for living-wage jobs. And I'm stuck in my hometown.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
Sorry, no suggestions here, jobs moves us -

Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
The deciding factor to me in relocating is can I make a living there? If the cost of living is too high and the wages are too low, it is not an option. I made the mistake of living in a scenic place that had a high cost of living and low wages and it was most definitely not worth it. You can't eat scenery. States like North Dakota may not be scenic, but if you can make a living there it makes it all worth it.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I've lived outside of Portland in Hood River and in Santa fe.

I love New Mexico, I was just down there for a few months getting our house re-rented and the dirt and lack of green started to wear on me. I enjoy the culture and the great food, there aren't a lot of San Fran style walking areas in NM. Portland is much more diverse and pedestrian friendly and I really enjoyed it there. Many people enjoy it there too which can be a problem when trying to find a job.

Personally the Colorado mountains are the place I'm happiest. We left 6 years ago and finally made it back last year. Big blue skies and huge mountains put it all in perspective for me. Good luck on your search.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I used to think that living by the beach would make me happy. I moved to be by the beach, most of the time I liked it, but the city was crowded, homes expensive, and general quality of life was poor. I moved, ironically, to Montana. My quality of life is improved, I am more relaxed, save money, and enjoy the mountians. So, I love it here. I had the big city, you can have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues