Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 PM

14 posts, read 28,527 times

Advertisements

I am ready to leave my small town about 50,000 population and move to big city.

I am just worried about driving around in the big city. Getting there and have to find a roommate and a job. Only going with me, car, clothes and some money.

I really just worried about driving around in the big city.

Was thinking about Austin Texas or Houston Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,707,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymoney1 View Post
Only going with me, car, clothes and some money.
be sure to pack a few other things as well:
useful job skills you have competence in
the basic tools commonly needed to do that work
some actual education
advance research on where that education and skill you have are actually needed
a few business contacts or company names at least of those who might hire you
at least ONE personal contact you can rely on for at least moral support
(a spare bedroom and job references might come in handy too)
and good credit (or a big pile of cash)

good luck.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Good advice. Just looking for advice on city driving. From a small town and never drove around a big city. Big city more than 500,000..

Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,923,159 times
then stay home and let moma protect you

Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM

452 posts, read 896,354 times
Do you have any friends or family or support group to connect to? If yes, then you might be fine. As for the driving around usually you would know the area that you live around and only adventure out of that area to find new places. Houston's traffic is not bad unless you live in the subarbs and drive into the city. If this is the case then you might want to look into getting a metro pass (bus) since parking cost and gas cost. If you live in the burbs which alot of people do and work there also there should be no problems getting around. As for everything else it is just like living in a small town except the small towns are intwined into one big one. I am a city girl at heart lived in a small town for 5 years and will not go back too many people in my business that had not right to be. If you are really interested in Houston you should come and visit check out craigslist, etc. for places to live or share. You will find it is not different than small towns except they keep to themselves and if you need help there are alot of people willing to help. You will not know everyone on the street corner which is good and bad on both realms. Driving is not a big issue most of the Texans I have found are easy to drive and for Houston it is not always US citizens since it is a very diversified city. Get a GPS if really concerned also.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM

Thank you for the advice. I just saying I from a small town and never lived in a big city. I going to move to Austin and not use to the freeway or to parallel park. I going to show up without know anyone to give me a couch to stay. How do I make it in a city without knowing how to get around and where to stay when I just show up and trying to live?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,120,634 times
Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I just saying I from a small town and never lived in a big city. I going to move to Austin and not use to the freeway or to parallel park. I going to show up without know anyone to give me a couch to stay. How do I make it in a city without knowing how to get around and where to stay when I just show up and trying to live?
It's going to be difficult living in a City without either using a freeway or ever parallel parking, although the second will be easier than the first. Freeway driving is not that difficult if you just take the time to learn the ropes. Start out during times when traffic is lightest, practice merging into traffic, driving with the speed of traffic, and staying to the right until you feel more confident.

Austin's a University town so, to get the best possible job, please work on your Grammar. Poor grammar and spelling on job applications or your resume can hurt your chances.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,702,859 times
Quote:
I would say between Austin and Houston, Austin is probably the better choice since you are so apprehensive. Having lived in both cities, I think Houston would be too overwhelming for you and you'd want to move back after the first week.
Austin is a college city so the city bus is very accessible. I would post this on the Texas board and see if there is anyone on there that can forward you to some roommate friendly apartments, etc. Are you sure you don't know someone else that would want to move with you, check facebook, old classmates??
Good luck, and if you do get on IH-35 in Austin, just take a big breath, put your signal, and gun it when you get on the highway; they did used to have very short on-coming ramps. You could try to "practice" during off times like 10:30 am when traffic is kind of light.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I would say between Austin and Houston, Austin is probably the better choice since you are so apprehensive. Having lived in both cities, I think Houston would be too overwhelming for you and you'd want to move back after the first week.
Austin is a college city so the city bus is very accessible. I would post this on the Texas board and see if there is anyone on there that can forward you to some roommate friendly apartments, etc. Are you sure you don't know someone else that would want to move with you, check facebook, old classmates??
Good luck, and if you do get on IH-35 in Austin, just take a big breath, put your signal, and gun it when you get on the highway; they did used to have very short on-coming ramps. You could try to "practice" during off times like 10:30 am when traffic is kind of light.
You said short-on coming ramps. What is the best way to deal with that or tips to get on without a crash? I do like the advice. Anyone from Austin what is the best paying jobs there that don't care about a degree. Here in Nebraska cutting meat can pay 13.00 to 18.50 per hour without a degree. Just asking what is the best companies to work for down there. Still would like to know about the short-on coming ramps. Thanks to everyone to give advice.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,702,859 times
Quote:
You said short-on coming ramps. What is the best way to deal with that or tips to get on without a crash? I do like the advice. Anyone from Austin what is the best paying jobs there that don't care about a degree. Here in Nebraska cutting meat can pay 13.00 to 18.50 per hour without a degree. Just asking what is the best companies to work for down there. Still would like to know about the short-on coming ramps. Thanks to everyone to give advice.
It's all in the timing of getting on a highway, look what is in front of you and coming up on your left...It might take you more practice to drive on highways in Nebraska or when you get to Austin, practice on Mopac before the challenge of IH35.
As for high paying jobs without a degree, perhaps being a bartender. I don't know how old you are but that might pay well. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues