Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,134,421 times

Advertisements

Nightbird and Granny, did your ancestors mainly live on flat lands? I feel very out of place on a plain or a large farm without a view of mountains. I think it's because my ancestors were mainly hillbillies from Switzerland, going back for hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,667,898 times
Nah, we're all from County Cork. Kinda scary, actually - all of our great-grandparents but two who were Blackfoot/Cherokee came from County Cork, and our families didn't intermingle on this side of the pond until DH and I married. We could actually be related, far back... or bitter enemies! Of course that could explain why we think and react the same to everything, too...

But don't assume that Nebraska is flatland, m'dear! We live in an area known as the Sandhills, and places on our property are so steep that you can stand straight up and bite the ground! One of the reasons we chose this area is because it is hilly, without being rocky and impossible to till, like many mountain spots.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 PM

48 posts, read 177,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
1) Why are you thinking about moving to those states?
2) What are you seeking to move to/away from?
3) What sort of income/jobs are you looking for/do you have?
4) What sort of people are you (aside from outdoorsy)?

Well, for the first question, the answer would be mainly to be surrounded by nature as opposed to nothing but building after building after building with only a hint of green every other block. From what we've read while researching, it seems that these states offer smaller towns that aren't connected to each other (just look at any California map, EVERYTHING is connected). Our city we live in is small (in comparision to other cities) but we can't tell that because we're connected on every end to another city. Also, these states are far enough away so as to maybe not deal with the problems California has but not so far that we can't drive back to visit family.

For the second question, we want to move somewhere that has a bit better air quality for health reasons. A town that takes pride in itself and desires to preserve that feeling. A small town/city that's somewhat close to a bigger city would be nice (so we can livein one but work in the other). On a lesser note, someplace that has more focus on and concern about nature and preservation. We're looking to move away from, I don't want to say "bad elements" because I understand that you can trade one bad element for another. We're just tired of dealing with the problems that big cities bring.

On the third one, that answer would be flexiblebecause of the fact that some states will be paying significantly less than what we get paid out here. We both have years in retail experience; while he has some years in the medical field doing delivery and I have bookkeeping experience. Like everyone...we just want something to keep our heads above water (and help pay off my student loans).

Finally, on the fourth question, aside from being outdoorsy, we're community driven and prefer to support the stores within our own city. While we are not involved within our church (in terms of being teachers or counselors), church is very important to us. We would like to be located somewhere that showcases some musical theater; doesn't have to be mainstream, small community plays are awesome. We're open-minded to listen to other people's views/beliefs but we're not easily swayed. We won't however force our views/beliefs on anyone else. We're adaptable, hardworking individuals (who happen to be a couple. :P).

Hopefully this helps somewhat to show what we're looking for. We do understand that we won't find everything and have to make trade offs on certain things, but who really can find everything they're looking for? Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions based on those answers as to location or anything, please feel free to comment.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,134,421 times
Believe it or not, Northern California fits most of those criteria ...... anything north of Redding. I like to point that out when people seem to think Southern California is the only part of the state. Arcata or Susanville, for two of many possibilities.

Go on a big road trip some time. Expensive, but not as expensive as screwing up on where you go to live.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,871 times
Exclamation Pshhh..

**** those people who think Californians are all stuck up and that our ideals are bad. They're just jealous because while they're out in 20 degree weather freezing thier asses off i can walk out of door in shorts and a tank top!

-Like my bitchy California attitude.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,143 times
If you want lots of snow and wind those states are great. If you want some snow,that goes away by its self, and just a breeze call us. Payson Az has that and hiking, fishing, and hunting and we want busness in our town.We are also building a new campus here that will be open in the fall of 2013.
Call 928 978 3926 or email econdev@paysonaz .gov and we will tell you all about our town.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Nightbird and Granny, did your ancestors mainly live on flat lands? I feel very out of place on a plain or a large farm without a view of mountains. I think it's because my ancestors were mainly hillbillies from Switzerland, going back for hundreds of years.
Missed this, but I guess its still worthy of an answer.

The extended family was midwest, Boone County Iowa, to be exact. But they branched out into socal back when it too was open space. My grandfather was involved in the silents and moved on to be cheif set dresser for one of the studios.

As a kid we went up to Big Bear or further north each summer for two weeks with my aunt and uncle and family for a joint vacation and I love mountains. Here I have to settle for hills but its not flat at least. One vacation with friends at Big Bear we decided to go hiking. We started off on the easy trail and somehow managed to get on the expert one where it was a dent in the rock and you could look ALL the way down to the valley from nearly the top of the mountain. I've never been so scared or so exilerated but I don't think I want to do it again. We could see both lakes, Big Bear and Little Bear we were so high up.

The flattest I remember is Orange county, and when the Santa Ana River was in flood mode in 69, one brigde to high ground closed, the second a quarter inch away, and we on the flood plains near the beach. It would have been a twelve foot blast.

Family is very happy here and glad they came. I have no plans to go back to California even to visit anymore.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,089,416 times
I figure I get out of here while I'm still relatively young, then it will be a good thing.
I live in the deserts with parents right now, no family if my own. However, what one of the posters said about "everything being connected" is right on the dot.
Reasons for myself wanting to leave and never come back are varied.
The key reasons are these;
-Always felt out of place here, but was never quite sure of where I wanted to live for good. After driving trucks for the past year and making many bottled water deliveries to Denver and Albuquerque, I'm firmly split between these two metro areas.
I rode my bicycle during downtime through these areas extensively. After a short time, I actually felt so much at home in these two places that I became rather heart broken after leaving.
Don't know if it's the cleaner air, nicer people, or slower pace.
All I do know is that once I'm able to, I'm jumping on it and holding on.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 AM

253 posts, read 556,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You will still likely face hostility in Montana just because you are from California. Also keep in mind wages are going to be low there and cost of living will be high. Wyoming is pretty accepting of outsiders as long as you're a hard worker. I can't say anything about Idaho since I haven't lived there.
That's interesting that certain States are "hostile" towards people from California...you are all Americans. This attitude just doesn't exist in Canada....all that much anyway, most Canadians are too busy btching about immigrants or people who have been here for generations, but look like immigrants.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
That's interesting that certain States are "hostile" towards people from California...you are all Americans. This attitude just doesn't exist in Canada....all that much anyway, most Canadians are too busy btching about immigrants or people who have been here for generations, but look like immigrants.
Many Californians moved here in the Phoenix metro area in the 2002-05 years. People do groan about it a lot for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues