Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Nukem, what states or areas of what states are you considering for health reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
People have to move for different reasons. But every time somebody asks for help everybody shoves money & employment down their throats. Like that's the only thing there is in life.

Money, Jobs & employment suck everywhere! Humans are impossible to deal with no matter where you go. Employers are evil pricks everywhere. Most (normal) people despise working. Rents are too high & wages are too low no matter where you go. So you have to look to other things like climate & how pretty it is outside.

Every one of us is in hell because of money & employment. It's a black cloud hanging over all our heads every second of our lives. Money & employment will never bring happiness. You have to look to other things to be happy. So when somebody asks where is a place they might like, don't tell them about money & employment, that's not going to help at all. We all know about that. There's no way to escape it. Money & employment is the same wiping our ass, we all do it but we don't talk about it.

I'm in the position where I have to move but can't worry about money & employment. The climate in East TN. is killing me. I need to move out of here because of health issues. But I don't have a college degree, I don't have much money & all I can get are crappy minimum wage jobs. None of that matters, I still need to escape this place before it kills me. If going to a homeless shelter is where I have to end up then so be it! Hopefully it'll be in a cooler state that doesn't have a sickening 6 month+ summer with no seasons like here in East TN. This place is the worst hellhole I've ever lived in & I can't worry about unemployment rates or the dollar collapsing or another great depression coming next year or the year after. That's all stupid man-made bull**** & I just can't be bothered with it. I'm too sick to bother with all the stupid retarded crap the other humans thought up.
I appreciate your post. Money is important but it is not everything. I wish you well in finding a new place to live.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I'm in Tampa as well and will be getting out soon. Pretty much going to move across the country without a job. However, $1,500 is not enough to move let alone start your own business.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
MY goodness, you should visit Oregon. Be sure to watch Portlandia a few times first.

Seriously, you'll need a better stake than what you describe to start any sort of business or buy any land.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrielle View Post

What I'm mostly looking for is: A good place to open a small eatery/cafe and get a nice little piece of farmland with space for a garden, horses, and goats.
-Lots of coffee shops.
-Trails and pathways for hiking or running.
-Eco friendly and green, like good farmers markets and family/local owned stores and cafes.
-Perhaps even culturally diverse, I really enjoyed all the Asian and Oriental shops and stores in New Orleans.
-Everything walking distance in town, like once I'm in town I can just walk around and browse all the stores and cafes with friends.
There are many places that match your criteria, even some that aren't over recommended (like Portland and Seattle for example) to the point of saturation by others just like yourself.

Check out:

Bloomington, Indiana
Iowa City, Iowa
Burlington, Vermont
Chapel Hill/Carrboro, North Carolina
Athens, Georgia

Yes, all are small college towns...which offer all of your criteria without masses of competition in terms of opening a business and offer a much less volatile economy than most cities, as well as a cost of living achievable for someone with not a lot of money to move into.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 PM

74 posts, read 236,393 times
Nukem ... very well stated.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM

117 posts, read 249,252 times
I was going to say Seattle too but wasn't sure if she is looking for that kind of rainy weather. But Washington State is eco friendly, organic gardens and coffee shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues