U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM

861 posts, read 904,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Yeah, don't they advertise for roomates on Craigs list or something like that?

In my younger days I moved from NY to Las Vegas. Had maybe 600 bucks, no job, no friends, no place to stay planned in advance. No problem. Worked out fine, lived there 13 years. Like they say, if there's a will, there's a way!
Yea but that was 13 yrs ago when the economy wasn't so bad, times have changed and 600 dollars wont get you far now a days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

4,553 posts, read 7,020,390 times
You should contact your university and speak with someone involved in recruiting, although it is very late in the season for hiring if you want to work for a large accounting firm. They might be able to refer your resume to the larger and mid size firms and get you some interviews. I would definitely use your university as a resource because alot of people get positions that way. Were you involved in any on campus recruiting?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,383,996 times
My DD packed up and moved to Las Vegas a year and a half ago. She had a Master's in BioMed and 5 years working as an assistant pathologist in a small lab. She took $10,000 with her, her pickup truck loaded down with her worldly goods, and a 'can do' attitude. The first thing she did was pay for a year's lease on an apartment, so that she would always have a roof no matter what. Then she started submitting resumes. When she was down to her last $600, she got an entry level job in a high-end lab. After several promotions and a LOT of hard work, she now is the assistant pathologist making 6 figures.

Can it be done? Sure. Is it likely? Ummmm... hard to say. Going someplace blind in this economy is a HUGE risk. But it is unlikely she would have been hired had she not already established a residence; she had been going back and forth to Vegas for over a year putting in resumes and even getting interviews. The place that ultimately hired her was not one of the places where she had applied before she got there.

What's the liklihood of your getting an accounting entry-level job, even as a college grad? You need to research accounting jobs in the area before you move; internet as well as newspaper ads, and see what $$ they are offering as well as what the cost of living is. Will they pay an entry-level a living wage? I strongly reccommend that you go on the C-D forum for where you are heading, and ask around. Are there accounting jobs available? How much competition is there? Is there a nearby accounting college that turns out a high level of qualified employable people? How many colleges? One? Six? Twelve?

Life is hard - it's harder when you are on your own and broke with no opportunity. Do your research.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 PM

14,153 posts, read 44,686,687 times
I agree with Granny, and would point out that CA is not exactly a booming economy, and the cost of living, specifically housing, is scary. If you can mooch a room with a friend, OK, maybe.

Think this through - what do you do if you go to LA, no job, no job ever comes up, and you run out of money?

Accounting jobs are available everywhere. DM me and I can put you on to the step-daughter's old firm, in Seattle, that has a branch office in LA. This firm is usually hiring. Might be a lower-risk trajectory.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 14,637 times
Here I am, a month later, and I still have not made a decision. I still also do not have a job here on the east coast. There is some good news: I have passed 1 part of the CPA Exam, so that should help my resume out.

I'm still contemplating moving to LA with no job lined up. I have been applying to any accounting positions that I see in LA but haven't really received much interest. I honestly believe I could find a job if I moved there, but it's still very risky.

Let's say I find a job here on the east coast soon, (and I believe I will find a position soon), when and how could I ever move to LA? Let's assume that I won't get a position with a company that has an office in LA. Am I just supposed to work here for a year and then get up and quit and move to LA all of a sudden? Sure, I will have more money saved up and a years worth of experience under my belt but won't employers in LA think of my behavior as "risky" for just quitting a job in a tough economy and moving somewhere where I have no contacts? This is why I almost think it would be better to just move now when I don't have any commitments. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts/opinions on my tough situation.

Thank you, as always.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM

28,376 posts, read 61,709,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb5271 View Post

I'm still contemplating moving to LA with no job lined up.
I honestly believe I could find a job if I moved there, but it's still very risky.
Forget looking for real full time jobs and especially from a distance.

Investigate how the professional level and technical **temporary** agencies operate in CA. Determine which is the best in each area (west LA vs San Fernando Valley etc) and the pay structures and hopefully make contact with a few of them to ask the pointed questions.

Once you have **something** sorted out that earns you enough to cover the nitty gritty COL (rent, gas, grocery) and by that maintain or even fatten that cash reserve... THEN explore the real and permanent jobs (and finish the CPA too).

hth

Old 09-25-2011, 01:45 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,577,460 times
It might just be easier to network with someone where you want to go, people open doors for you more than any college degree ever could.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 PM

701 posts, read 1,525,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
It might just be easier to network with someone where you want to go, people open doors for you more than any college degree ever could.
When I worked for the state employment office, we were told that surveys consistently showed that 70% of people interviewed said that they got their last job because someone they knew referred them to it. Hard to work that L.A. network from the East Cost.

If you want to go to L.A. and you have $10,000 why in the world are you not already there? Temp agencies, college alumni associations, people on this forum who refer you to their daughter's company... give it all a go.

What's the worst that is going to happen? You are going to run out of money and have to come home and keep looking for a job.

According to CL, there are all sorts of rooms for rent in the $600 range in L.A. Which means if you watch your money, you will have a good six or seven months before you have to start looking for a return ticket.

Bet on yourself coming up with something in that time.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM

34 posts, read 70,955 times
go for it man.

I (22m) did the same thing as u like two years ago. I moved from Europe to NYC with no job, no degree, no friends, no place to live, BUT $10000 in my pocket. I didn't look for a job for like 6 months and lived of my savings (used like half of it by that time). As long as u don't spend ya money like crazy, u should be fine for a few months.

I give u one advice though. look for a minimum wage job OR check out temp agencies, this way your money will last longer and it will give u more time to look for an accountant job in case u can't find one right away. but that's just what I would do...

P.S. I'm moving to Florida next year and I'm gonna do it just like that....again.

Last edited by verlorenersohn; 09-27-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,256,768 times
Why limit yourself to L.A.?

Many parts of California are absolutely wonderful....San Diego, Orange County, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Santa Cruz. Even San Francisco, although that's probably more expensive.

Also, I recommend that you have your resume looked over/re-written by a professional. If your resume is amateurish, you won't even get an interview.

Another thought: Does a master's degree in accounting enhance your career goals? You could attend one of the many, many, Calfiornia univeristies (look at both the U of C system and the Cal State system)....and then you have a chance to get your feet wet out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues