Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

If there are any positives to the college town and you can enjoy some of the same activites there, think hard. Whoever is working will be spending a significant amount of time at work and if THAT isn't satisfying or up to snuff all the bike rides in the world won't make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM

327 posts, read 594,149 times
Personally I myself, would pick quality of living. I don't know how your relationship with your family is, but with mine, it's not good. There's too much drama and people hating on others and cutting family out of their lives for the dumbest things. I'm the only family oriented person in my family, so I hate what they're doing to each other and it makes me sick and sad to see because I didn't want it to be that way for my child.

So if I were you, I'd look at how your relationships are with family and how your life is where you're at now. Then look at what you're looking for, for quality of life. I would write the pros and cons of each of those two, and see which one outweighs the other.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
There was an article about once a person makes a certain amount of money that allows them to not have to worry the extra income makes that person no more happy. I agree with the response about a lot comes from within.
Some people feel family and living near is so important. My dad feels that way and is very depressed not being close to his. Now other members in my family that is not true and just visiting is enough.
10,000 a year but how much are you making? If this is to personal you don't have to say but 10,000 on 40,000 salary is different then 10 on 100,000. The less growth though is an issue and in the long run the other job could end up paying more over the years and also give you a better sense of being fufilled.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Guess it depends on what floats your boat..if you measure your quality of life by your possessions, then you'll want the highest paying job possible so you can live at the right address, have more name-brand "stuff," drive a trendy car and take more exotic vacations.

If you measure your success with friendships, meaningful budget travel and making memories and contributing to community, you'd cast your vote for quality of life.

Sometimes changes come with growing older...I used to belong to category one in my younger days, lived in a desirable "cool" city--and I was kind of a miserable character, truth told. Now I'm living the quality of life of friendship and contribution in a small community, very much involved and loving life.

In fact, as of Oct. 1st, I'll have a novel available in the Kindle store (PM me for title if you're interested) that address this very topic of materialism versus meaning...it's a fascinating topic, for sure.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
Would you move your family to a town where you would make more money or to a town that you consider to be more your ideal place to live even though you would make less money? We are in this situation. Great job offer in a college town or good job offer in a city where we have always talked about moving to because it would offer us a chance to do the things we love more often; i.e. biking, hiking,boating,skiing. The college town is a more expensive place to live but close to family and friends. Second option is further away but has so much going for it. What have your experiences been and what is your advice?
I would choose quality of life. I hope to make a move within the next two years and I anticipate my salary will decrease. I am okay with it. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:07 PM

20 posts, read 58,879 times
Better quality of life.

I live in San Diego and my husband and I make great money but live an average lifestyle. Basic 2 bedroom 2k sq ft home cost us $600k when we bought 5 years ago. We're planning to move somewhere where we might not make as much but our $ will go further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues