Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 10:54 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times

Advertisements

I enjoy reading all the posts about people who are wanting to move or trying to figure out how to move away from family and friends, yet it seems that after that first post you never hear from those people again. Some of the threads on here are from 4 or 5 years ago and yet for some reason people still reply.

I often wonder what happened to the OP. Did they make the move? Did they stay where they were? How are they doing if they did brave the unknown and left family and friends?

I am sure many people don't look back after moving and don't find it necessary to return to City-Data once they are settled in their new town, or once they decide to stay put but I would love to hear how some of those OPs are doing.

If you have posted and are still on CD for whatever reason let us know how you finally made the move or why you didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I enjoy reading all the posts about people who are wanting to move or trying to figure out how to move away from family and friends, yet it seems that after that first post you never hear from those people again. Some of the threads on here are from 4 or 5 years ago and yet for some reason people still reply.

I often wonder what happened to the OP. Did they make the move? Did they stay where they were? How are they doing if they did brave the unknown and left family and friends?

I am sure many people don't look back after moving and don't find it necessary to return to City-Data once they are settled in their new town, or once they decide to stay put but I would love to hear how some of those OPs are doing.

If you have posted and are still on CD for whatever reason let us know how you finally made the move or why you didn't.
We made the move to SoCA High Desert - husband moved in February and rented a room and the kids and I came out in early June. We closed on our house in Oak Hills the first week of July. We moved for his promotion. I have found a long-term detail - full time with the same agency I worked for in TX - but looking for permanent job. I have an interview with the VA in Loma Linda on Thursday.

I met another high desert mover - MBeckoff and we have connected here - had a couple of meals together and it turns out she and my family are going to the same church.

I am happy to be here - our daughters (14 and 11.5) are settling into school and have made some friends - they have had friends over to the house. We survived our first threat of wildfire and evacuation this past weekend

We may only be here 3-4 years (that's what we alway say - but end up 8-11 years between moves). We move with promotions for husband.

I enjoy city-data - subscribe to a couple of the forums and check it pretty often. I don't often write a long post - mostly it is just agreeing or thanking someone for a recipe.

Thanks for asking.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We are still in the process of beginning our move. We decided last dec to move back to europe and set a date of June 2012 to be out of here by.
The kids just started their final year of school in NY. We visited France in August and did some house hunting. Found something we loved, but didnt like the price!! So we are still looking.
Have a few properties to sell here, one is in contract and hope to close in Nov, the other went on the market last week and we are beginning to de clutter our own property to get it ready to list ; it was painted and updated in the last few weeks.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I moved East, for a job, and while living there was okay...the people are sure different than they are in the West. The culture is different. It is like getting a new pair of shoes, that you just don't like as much as the old ones, but tolerate. Glad to be back home. I never thought I had a "home" until I moved East, and realized that no matter what, my home was always going to be in the West.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM

203 posts, read 511,672 times
My story just sucks. I moved to a small town in Kansas with my fiance' a year ago. Moved into a townhouse. We shared a common wall with the next door neighbors who happened to be two sisters, ages 20 & 24.
You can probably guess what happened. Yep, with the 20 year old. They are now expecting a child. I have been stuck in this hell for six months, since I found out, as I couldn't get out of my lease and couldn't afford to pay out six months of rent.
Now, I'm moving again (THANK GOD) this Friday to a new, bigger metro city just outside of Kansas City. Back to where you can get something to eat or shop past 8pm, LOL.
It's a brand new start and I'm leaving the past heartbreak behind..hell, they deserve each other. By the way, he's 40. *eyeroll*

Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptstrays View Post
My story just sucks. I moved to a small town in Kansas with my fiance' a year ago. Moved into a townhouse. We shared a common wall with the next door neighbors who happened to be two sisters, ages 20 & 24.
You can probably guess what happened. Yep, with the 20 year old. They are now expecting a child. I have been stuck in this hell for six months, since I found out, as I couldn't get out of my lease and couldn't afford to pay out six months of rent.
Now, I'm moving again (THANK GOD) this Friday to a new, bigger metro city just outside of Kansas City. Back to where you can get something to eat or shop past 8pm, LOL.
It's a brand new start and I'm leaving the past heartbreak behind..hell, they deserve each other. By the way, he's 40. *eyeroll*
Oh man, I don't even know what to say...... so sorry that you went/are going thru this and best wishes for a easy move!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM

484 posts, read 970,169 times
I moved from AZ to SoCA about two months ago. I came for a better paying job which is helping me pay a little bit towards another degree and I felt that I just needed a change. No family in either place, no wife, no kids.
I have mixed emotions about the move. I plan to stay here a few years to get another degree and build up my savings as my pay is higher. But I realize all of the things that I loved about Tucson and I really had a great job too. I just got an itch that I had to scratch. I have since searched on this site and elsewhere for a place that I will eventually call home. It seems that Tucson really may be that place. Luckily I am young and have a great opportunity here so I can just suck it up as they say for now.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,483 times
Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had lived in Seattle my entire life (50 years). My husband and I have been in SC now for a few weeks and love it here. We moved due to his work (military). I had always wanted to leave Seattle, but the opportunity never presented itself until now. We flew out here and purchased a home a month ahead of time, and closed a few days after our arrival. So far, things are going great and neither of us have any regrets.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 PM

90 posts, read 188,330 times
My move is still on schedule for next month. I've given my 30 day notice to my landlady. The next two weeks will be all about some serious packing and the first part of October will be devoted to logistics and rsvps and last minute research. I will be traveling by train from Seattle to Atlanta via Chicago. Should be leaving some time between the 15th and 31st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues