U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,574,549 times

Advertisements

I think spontaneous relocation can be a positive experience if you are relatively young, single and have a realistic perception of what you can expect. We don't need nearly as much as we think we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:57 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,313,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I think spontaneous relocation can be a positive experience if you are relatively young, single and have a realistic perception of what you can expect. We don't need nearly as much as we think we do.

I'm 27, not married, no kids, etc.

only thing i have is a job. and i am less than thrilled with it. tho it pays ok 45k a year, but i wanna move soooooooooo bad, just freakin up and go

Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 AM

508 posts, read 896,542 times
we did that all the time growing up... took the last paycheck.... filled up the car and where we ran out of gas is where we were living for the next few months... it worked out ok...

Old 09-27-2011, 05:32 PM

365 posts, read 554,146 times
Getting ready to pack and go next week..................... No obligations but,to myself. I need a change of scenery bad. I say go for it !!!!!!!!!!!! Think of it as an adventure. Just research a few of the cities your interested in and check them out .

Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Yeah, I forgot to add that's just me, well and 2 cats. But no kids or spouse to worry about.

Without getting into any detail, things are not going as planned around here and I'm thinking I can not only resolve things in another state, but also save my sanity with a change of scenery, etc. Right now I am trying to estimate and save a nice cushion to live off of in case I don't find work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I do general office work.

Also, I know job situations might make or break a decision, but if it makes sense - I am not leaning toward one area more than another. Warm weather, preferably, no heavy snowfall or frigid temps. However, I am not dead set on, say, CA and CA only, nor do I HAVE be near a major NYC type of city. Small town is just as good IMO. Know what I mean?
I'm with everyone else it seems. If you're able to squirrel away enough to live on for several months and have little keeping you there you might as well go for it. I would warn against a major cross country move as that can be a shock to the system as well as an expensive move. Sometimes when one is trying to get away from a bad situation the tendency is to want to get as far away as possible, which results in a bit of overkill if you're to bear in mind travelling a few hundred miles from most anywhere in the US usually results in much different geography and lifestyle. North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida are much closer states with some viable options for you. Good luck with the move and search, let us know where you decide you're headed!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,536,837 times
I have done that a couple times, but that was when the economy was better. I want to move to E. TN or SC now, but it scares me with the current job situation! My husband has a job here in CA(semi full time), but I can't find anything.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:43 PM

23 posts, read 42,803 times
Oh yes. In the space of a week, I packed up everything I owned save a few large pieces of furniture and moved in with friends 60 miles away from home. It was stressful and crazy, and I still had to find a job in my new place, but it has turned out to be an excellent idea. I'm glad I did so.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 PM

800 posts, read 1,600,811 times
After a particularly cold, long winter in Calgary, Alberta, I started dreaming about Arizona, where the owner of the company I worked for vacationed for the winter. I made this dream no secret to my husband, and he told people he worked with about it. Somebody from his work anonymously placed on his desk a classified ad looking for people with his skill set to relocate to Phoenix. Two weeks later I was living in a state I had previously never set foot in. That was '96 and haven't changed metro area since. Became a U.S. citizen this past January.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM

151 posts, read 172,298 times
I'm actually doing this in January. Okay, so it's not completely a spontaneous move but it's a HUGE change for me none the less. I've had it planned since about June. I will be moving from Central NY to Louisiana. It's a move that is long overdue and I feel will be a great plan for me. Many things made me decide this. For one, the only family I have here is just my mother (which is great but can get a little lonely). The weather here is TERRIBLE. It actually just snowed yesterday (TOO EARLY! ) I planned it out to where I will have money saved (College loan refund and bonus from work) to where I can pay for my car and car ins for a few months. I happened to luck out and have a place to stay rent/bill free. The job outlook is not so good right now but I'm still applying and trying my hardest to find something. Plus I'll be attending school. Let's just say January cannot come soon enough!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,460,418 times
I up and moved to Germany in 2004 with only a suitcase full of hopes and dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or