U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM

128 posts, read 192,087 times

Advertisements

I had a bad personal relationship and both parents had just died and I just wanted out..so i packed up my car and went to north idaho..couer d alene, all by myself from california. i got a motel for a week and found an apartment. i hiked and watched the eagles and enjoyed the snow and amazing scenery. it is so darn neat up there i miss it.

i stayed 7 months and returned home to my house in cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM

284 posts, read 421,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Wscotting, 1st off, I think you are very brave & adventorous. If you dont mind me being nosy, do you think you keep moving for the newness, looking for something that might not exist, people like yourself, Better jobs, or do you just get bored? Not putting you down at all, just curious. You & I are different as night & day, and your lifestyle fascinates me....and scares me. I was put in a situation last year where I had to move, and deciding where to go about made me lose my mind. My dream would have been to be born & die in the same state, town & even the house. I think those that live in their grandparents old homestead, are the luckiest of all. I love the familiar.

Good luck and happy trails to you...
Mostly, I get bored. It's one of the reasons why I did temp work for so long... and why I'm considering subbing and tutoring instead of teaching full time.

But, I'm getting too old for all this stuff (maybe! ) so I'm considering settling down for a little while and *gasp* stashing a nest egg somewhere (don't tell anyone...). Who knows? It could happen. Maybe...

Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 AM

49 posts, read 77,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman View Post
Yes, it is very important when making a big move that isn't "necessary" that you are not doing it for the wrong reasons. Maybe that is why it has taken so long to finally decide to pull the trigger.

Marc
So what are some of the right reasons to do it? Considering you're not out of a job, aren't in an abusive relationship, or anything else like that? How do you know that you aren't doing it for the wrong reasons if there's nothing extremely negative about the place you are in now?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 AM

68 posts, read 195,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_smi98 View Post
So what are some of the right reasons to do it? Considering you're not out of a job, aren't in an abusive relationship, or anything else like that? How do you know that you aren't doing it for the wrong reasons if there's nothing extremely negative about the place you are in now?
Every part of the country has a certain type of culture and an indigenous population with attitudes and personalities that can dominate a region. If you do not relate to or enjoy that type of culture, I think that would be a good reason to move. Also, your skill set might be more marketable in another part of the country.

For me it is both. I grew up in Maine then moved to the South with family 22 years ago, but have never liked it here and have always found it hard to relate to people in this state. Also, my skill set is more in demand out west.

I certainly can make it here, but I have decided not to settle and always wonder what could have been. I gave this area 22 years of my life and at age 40 I am ready to live somewhere of my own choosing. My only regret is not making this decision 10-15 years ago.

Last edited by Thejumpsuitman; 11-24-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM

304 posts, read 529,808 times
I want leave, but am not brave enough. I am afraid to leave with no savings and no job lined up, even though I have no kids or obligations. I do office work, like you do. I think you will be able to find something, though. But rent is so expensive these days.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_smi98 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman
Yes, it is very important when making a big move that isn't "necessary" that you are not doing it for the wrong reasons. Maybe that is why it has taken so long to finally decide to pull the trigger.
Marc

People keep telling me that I'm running away from myself by moving so often. They keep telling me that I'm crazy for leaving jobs, friends, etc... and moving on to a different place. They tell me that I'll find the same "problems" everywhere I move, and that moving is just a waste of resources I could be saving for old age. I'm not sure what "problems" they are referring too, but oh well...

This moving business is honestly one of those things that's hard-wired into me. I can't stay in one place for very long before I get itchy feet and have to move elsewhere. There's so much to see in this world, so many people to meet, so many experiences to have, and staying in one place will never allow me to do these things...

In my mind, there is no "right" or "wrong" reason to move. If you want to move, then move. What's stopping you? I mean, if you have obligations, a contract, a lease, or something that *is* stopping you, then don't move until that obligation is taken care of. Then, it's all up to you.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 PM

847 posts, read 1,240,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
People keep telling me that I'm running away from myself by moving so often. They keep telling me that I'm crazy for leaving jobs, friends, etc... and moving on to a different place. They tell me that I'll find the same "problems" everywhere I move, and that moving is just a waste of resources I could be saving for old age. I'm not sure what "problems" they are referring too, but oh well...

This moving business is honestly one of those things that's hard-wired into me. I can't stay in one place for very long before I get itchy feet and have to move elsewhere. There's so much to see in this world, so many people to meet, so many experiences to have, and staying in one place will never allow me to do these things...

In my mind, there is no "right" or "wrong" reason to move. If you want to move, then move. What's stopping you? I mean, if you have obligations, a contract, a lease, or something that *is* stopping you, then don't move until that obligation is taken care of. Then, it's all up to you.
I admire your courage to live life on your own terms. I have had people tell me all those same things when i mention moving so alot of times i keep this dream to myself so no one can stop me. I just wish i had savings to go somewhere...its a goal of mine to try to save close to a $1000 in the next year and leave

Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 195,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I want leave, but am not brave enough. I am afraid to leave with no savings and no job lined up, even though I have no kids or obligations. I do office work, like you do. I think you will be able to find something, though. But rent is so expensive these days.
I don't think not moving in your situation means you are not brave, I think it means you are wise. If you are going to make a move, you should do your best to put yourself in a position to be successful.

Save as much as you can, visit the area you plan to move, try to meet people online from that area, get a sense of the job market. Plan for it and you will have a better chance to succeed.

Marc

Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,016,087 times
Quote:
I think that's a big part of it. Sometimes old friends, acquaintances and even sometimes family can get you into a rut and it can affect the way you even see yourself. If you burn your bridges, it's sink or swim baby!

I agree with this, and it is one of the main reasons I want to leave the city I grew up in. I believe it would be like a fresh start, and while I have some places I would prefer to live, I believe any new large city would provide me with the new beginning I'm looking for.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl

I don't think not moving in your situation means you are not brave, I think it means you are wise. If you are going to make a move, you should do your best to put yourself in a position to be successful.

Save as much as you can, visit the area you plan to move, try to meet people online from that area, get a sense of the job market. Plan for it and you will have a better chance to succeed.

Marc
This is very good advice, even though I never take it. Being broke means never having the money to visit the city I plan to move or even "save as much as you can," esp. when living from paycheck to paycheck. However, if it's possible, definitely do that.

Or jump in with both feet and see if you can swim. It works both ways. ^_^ But it's really not a question of bravery. Some people are wiser than others about moving. I'm certainly not wise, I'm impulsive... but it works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or