Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM

172 posts, read 471,349 times

Advertisements

Would you move your family to a town where you would make more money or to a town that you consider to be more your ideal place to live even though you would make less money? We are in this situation. Great job offer in a college town or good job offer in a city where we have always talked about moving to because it would offer us a chance to do the things we love more often; i.e. biking, hiking,boating,skiing. The college town is a more expensive place to live but close to family and friends. Second option is further away but has so much going for it. What have your experiences been and what is your advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
The issue for me, is how much is "less money", are we talking $10,000 a year, or going down to minimum wage? I recently took a pay cut, for quality of life, and am perfectly happy.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Definately quality of life as long as you can afford to live off your income! I always say that I'd rather work at a job that I enjoy and make less money than work at a job that pays a million dollars and I don't like it.

Quality of life is so important. In this day and age, people tend to forget that. Enjoy where you live and live a less stressful life. Money is important but it's not everything!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
The question of how much less money and which offers more long term growth (if that's something you are looking for). We moved back to a high COL area last year for quality of life but also knew that my husband's position would expand and offer us more cushion.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:00 PM

172 posts, read 471,349 times
Roughly $10,000 less a year and likely not as much opportunity for growth or to move up.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I think that there is a lot of value in living close to family and friends. I don't really understand your post, you will make more money, in the college town, close to family and friends, or less money at a place where you can go skiing and boating? I would stay in the place close to family and friends, making more money, and just take a ski vacation.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
I think you answered your own question by saying that the further away town has more going for it. I assume that one will be better pay? How much of a pay cut are you talking about with the college town close to family? If it will put you in the poorhouse don't consider it. While I do agree that money doesn't buy happiness, being poor will guarantee it.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 PM

128 posts, read 284,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think that there is a lot of value in living close to family and friends. I don't really understand your post, you will make more money, in the college town, close to family and friends, or less money at a place where you can go skiing and boating? I would stay in the place close to family and friends, making more money, and just take a ski vacation.
I agree!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM

130 posts, read 426,393 times
Quality of life - for people who are seeking a better way of life not escape but change, inner change.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
Additionally a consideration is what stage your immediate family is in AND your relationship with your larger family. I have 2 sets of friends who moved further away from family to promote their careers and make more money; significantly more money (guessing 50k ish). The upside is that the income made it easier to travel "home". But now that their parents are getting older, they've both expressed concerns about being so far away. We live in a college town with a great quality of life, decent cost of living, but a majority of the wages are on the lower end. One hasn't worked for some time now, but now can't find employment here either so he CAN be closer to family. The other hasn't taked about considering a move. IMHO, I'd rather spend Christmas with friends and family or than skiiing by myself. Personally I don't think that 10K is enough to offset the difference. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues