U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM

20 posts, read 51,511 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Im hoping to get some suggestions on places to relocate. My husband and I currently live north of San Diego and although we love the weather; were looking for a place where we can get a better quality of life for our income. I grew up in Portland OR and love the forests, lakes and rivers but moved because of the rain and grayness. I would move back in a second if it could be summer all year round. Here's some qualities that we're looking for. Please tell me a place like this exists?!

1) Long tolerable summers. Our ideal place (if it exists) would be sunny and 65-85 most days out of the year.
2) Abundance of young families and good schools where we can raise our newborn daughter

3) A high quality of living for an income of around $150K per year.
4) Plenty of Forests, Lakes and Rivers where we can wakeboard and go camping.
5) In or near a major city with a great music scene
6) Liberal/progressive
7) Within a 3 hour drive to mountains where we could snowboard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM

the last one can be excluded...not that important to us

Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM

10,395 posts, read 14,238,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellso View Post

1) Long tolerable summers. Our ideal place (if it exists) would be sunny and 65-85 most days out of the year.
I don't think you're going to find this outside of the west coast. You might find it along the Florida coasts where you get a good breeze off the ocean.
You might post your weather requirements in the weather subforum and see if you get any hits there. Or just repost your entire question in the general US forum, although you'll probably get a lot nonsense along with any serious answers.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,271,084 times
Quote:
?!

2) Abundance of young families and good schools where we can raise our newborn daughter

6) Liberal/progressive
California meets all of your requirements EXCEPT for #3.

Austin, TX would be progressive with a great music scene, and lots of outdoor activities. But the summers are probably not what you would call "tolerable".

How about Denver, CO? Great mountains, great camping opportunities. I understand the winters are relatively mild?

Asheville, NC, has some of the best weather east of the Mississippi....the outdoor opportunities in the Blue Ridge Mtns. are fantastic, and the city is quite liberal. Asheville enjoys 4 beautiful seasons.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,622,351 times
Good luck. A suburb of Chicago might fit your criteria. The issue is #3, many places in the US that are cheaper to live, don't have the high salary that you get in California, so you may earn less, but have a much slower pace, and higher quality of life, but an adjusted salary for that area. After all, even a doctor in Alabama does not earn as much as a doctor in California, based on lower cost of living.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,469,144 times
Quote:
Hello,
Im hoping to get some suggestions on places to relocate. My husband and I currently live north of San Diego and although we love the weather; were looking for a place where we can get a better quality of life for our income. I grew up in Portland OR and love the forests, lakes and rivers but moved because of the rain and grayness. I would move back in a second if it could be summer all year round. Here's some qualities that we're looking for. Please tell me a place like this exists?!

6) Liberal/progressive
7) Within a 3 hour drive to mountains where we could snowboard
You forgot one...8) A place where we can continue to make $150K/yr doing....what? (or is your income not tied to a specific place?)

Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks calgirlinnc! I'm looking into Denver and Asheville. Austin would be perfect if it weren't for the extreme heat and humidity.

Our income is not tied to a specific place and we'd continue to bring in around 150K but want to be able to upgrade our lifestyle by moving to a more affordable location

Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,271,084 times
Quote:
Thanks calgirlinnc! I'm looking into Denver and Asheville. Austin would be perfect if it weren't for the extreme heat and humidity.

Our income is not tied to a specific place and we'd continue to bring in around 150K but want to be able to upgrade our lifestyle by moving to a more affordable location
I think you will find that Asheville also has a great music scene.

I know Adele is going there, one of the few places in the Carolinas she will be going.

Good luck!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM

3,930 posts, read 7,496,227 times
Quote:

If Asheville stays on your short list, be sure to visit for a week or two in the summer. It's in the mountains, but eastern mountains are not the same as western mountains. Also, Asheville 85 degrees is not the same as San Diego 85 degrees. And Asheville will go many weeks without reaching 65 degrees. For comparison, the winter highs will be similar to Portland's, but the lows are significantly lower.
Climatology Comparison for Connellys Springs, NC (28612) - weather.com

Asheville is also pretty expensive and is not known as a family area (although of course many families live there). Read about it on the NC and Western NC forums.

Southern California is the only place I can think of that meets your requirements. (including the $150,000 - I can't imagine that not being enough.)

Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,732,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I think you will find that Asheville also has a great music scene.

I know Adele is going there, one of the few places in the Carolinas she will be going.

Good luck!
She cancelled her U.S. tour.

ADELE: Home

I wouldn't mind a place like the OP described. However, I don't want to live in any of the states mentioned, so quess I'll stay put.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 10-10-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues