Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM

89 posts, read 291,214 times

Advertisements

I would just like to hear others' opinion on my situation. My husband and I are from very small towns in SD- where you literally know everyone from birth through college- he could NOT wait to get away after college graduation; I of course was going with him, I was devastated to leave my family and friends behind, but I did not want to be away from him either.

We took a new journey (only 8 hours away- but hey, it's a far enough distance for me!) within the past 6 years he has done great at his job, we got married, bought a house, and started our family here. Though we have no other family around, we have made good friends.

Now it's my turn to want to leave- move closer to family and try a new place. Do you think it is unreasonable of me? To ask my husband to leave his job and this place where he feels "established"? I have absolutely nothing holding me here and can not wait to leave. We have discussed this several times; he is willing, but I wonder if it's mostly to please me, just as I would only stay here to please him- feels like a lose, lose situation. Anyone ever been in a situation like this? Where we would move would be better job opportunities for both of us, and half the distance to allow our parents to see our girls much easier.

I did it for him 6 years ago- should he do it for me now? Or is this completely rude of me to be pressuring him to move (within a year after I am done with my second go round at college)

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this....lol- I just can not shake this!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1628 View Post
Where we would move would be better job opportunities for both of us, and half the distance to allow our parents to see our girls much easier.
That's doesn't sound like a lose-lose situation to me? If you both could get better jobs - and you'd be closer to family - how is that not good for both of you?

Unless of course this new place is a small town, like he couldn't wait to get out of? And he'll miss the city?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,506 times
Well, clearly you have to talk with your husband to know what would this really mean for each of you. It's not easier to have a good job these days, but if you have better opportunities near your family, it seems up to you guys.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
I would certainly not just pack up and move because I want something "different" and to be closer to your family (although, that is certainly a powerful incentive). Unless those opportunities are in writing you are taking a huge risk. Remember, you will have to basically start all over again with establishing yourself and meeting new friends, which isn't the easiest thing to do.

Nothing wrong with putting some feelers out and plans, but wait until something solid is in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues