U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,587 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice or thoughts.

Three and a half years ago, I FINALLY got to move to the UK, which I had wanted to move to for many years. For me, that ended up meaning Glasgow.

Unfortunately it has never grown on me; I still wake up unhappy to be here, hating the weather and the culture. I really want to love it here because I invested so much in it, but I really dislike the place. I have also not had very good experiences with the people here - some friends of mine tell me it's just 'the culture' and I need to get used to it. Job opportunities are also slim to none here. I have not been happy in a long, long time.

I am wondering if I should move, or if I am just not giving the place a chance? I'm at a point where I really need to be looking for career work, not temping. I also love warm weather and the ocean, being outdoors and in friendly communities. If I do move, I want to try to go somewhere that has most of these qualities, and I would be willing to go anywhere in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 AM

6,854 posts, read 11,125,737 times
3.5 years is a good chance! No need for second guessing.

You said it yourself, you need to quit temping and work on your career. Get moving on jobs and make sure they're in warmer places closer to the ocean.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 22 days ago)

8,704 posts, read 10,850,989 times
I think the misstake a lot of people make is staying in a place past its' expiration date. Then, it only seems to get worse. 3 1/2 years is more than enough time to know it isn't a good match.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:18 PM

577 posts, read 1,137,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuiloa View Post
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice or thoughts.

Three and a half years ago, I FINALLY got to move to the UK, which I had wanted to move to for many years. For me, that ended up meaning Glasgow.

Unfortunately it has never grown on me; I still wake up unhappy to be here, hating the weather and the culture. I really want to love it here because I invested so much in it, but I really dislike the place. I have also not had very good experiences with the people here - some friends of mine tell me it's just 'the culture' and I need to get used to it. Job opportunities are also slim to none here. I have not been happy in a long, long time.

I am wondering if I should move, or if I am just not giving the place a chance? I'm at a point where I really need to be looking for career work, not temping. I also love warm weather and the ocean, being outdoors and in friendly communities. If I do move, I want to try to go somewhere that has most of these qualities, and I would be willing to go anywhere in the world.

I would venture to Southeast Asia.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:03 AM

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Hollytree - I do feel like three and a half years is long enough, but it's difficult to explain to people around me why I don't like where I am living, since they seem to enjoy it a great deal. Phoenix lady - I know what you mean. This is the first time I've stayed long past the expiration date on a place, but I think it is due to all the effort I invested in getting here. I also really wanted it to work out, but as time goes by it seems as though things get worse rather than better.

Discovery - it's funny you should mention southeast Asia. I'd been considering Thailand or Singapore for awhile.

The primary concern for me right now (aside from weather) is finding friendly people/friendly community. Would you say that southeast Asia is generally friendly? I realise that's generalising a very large area, but would love to hear further thoughts.

Last edited by nuiloa; 09-21-2011 at 03:49 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 PM

7,742 posts, read 9,037,388 times
If you don't like it after 3.5 years move. You've given it a chance.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:39 AM

Thanks to everyone for their answers; I think it has given me the courage to make the decision I'd probably already made internally.

I have an interview for a job in Bali coming up and I am also applying to teach in Korea. It's going to be hard to give up the dream I initially had coming here, and has been hard to admit to myself, but I think moving on is my best option now.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:36 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,257,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuiloa View Post
Thanks to everyone for their answers; I think it has given me the courage to make the decision I'd probably already made internally.

I have an interview for a job in Bali coming up and I am also applying to teach in Korea. It's going to be hard to give up the dream I initially had coming here, and has been hard to admit to myself, but I think moving on is my best option now.
We ahve been where you are now ; and we are still here. After 25 years of living in NY, the first 20 were great, the last 5 have been a huge struggle, we have decided also to go.

We never want to regret not doing something. Then one gets angry, bitter, resentful etc. It is up to ourselves to become happy and do what we strive for.

Go for it ; enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues