U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,115,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanat30 View Post
Thanks so much. I haven't even thought about things for my truck. I'm putting this stuff on my list.
Don't forget that you also need to make sure that your cooling system/radiator fluid is changed to handle the much lower temps. Good wiper blades and tires are important too. You'll also want a snow brush/ice scraper with a long handle if you've got a big vehicle. If your vehicle is parked outside when it snows remember that it will take the defroster a little while to work on your windshield (at home you can start it up and go back in for a last cuppa, or fill your insulated travel mug).

Don't do what I did my first winter living back in snow country and put the new snow shovel in the detached garage. Now it lives on the covered back porch all winter so I can get to it without crossing through deep drifts to the garage. DUH!!

I like hooded fleece jackets - and they are available all sorts of places - you don't have to go with LL Bean or other expensive companies for those sorts of things.

Ugg type lined boots (I go for the cheaper knock offs) for indoors are a great thing to have, especially if you have hardwood floors or anything other than carpeting.

uggs - Google Search

I hope that you'll find your new home/experience to be great once you get settled in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 AM

16,751 posts, read 25,766,660 times
Not sure how old your kids are but you can get snow pants/bib-type overalls for playing in the snow, usually pretty cheap at Sears or a place like BJs and Costco. If they are little the bib-type are good because they are adjustable so they can last a few years. Honestly, many times we would just use fleece lined pants (the kind that are nylon on the outside) that you can get at Old Navy and Target. Most kids aren't going to last outside in huge amounts of snow....it's all dependent on age, how much snow there is, how cold it is, tolerance for the cold etc etc. Not sure where you are exactly moving so I don't know how much snow you'll actually see. If it's a more temperate climate there will be winters where you don't see any snow at all, or just a negligible amount.

Remember a lot of stuff can be worn year over year even as your kids grow. They won't out grow hats, mittens, scarves all that fast.

I like vests too....great for layering and great for days when it's not terribly cold out. So much easier to move around in.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:59 AM

629 posts, read 1,472,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
arrg i am jealous of you..been trying to move back for years! we just kept extra jogging pants and legwarmers ready for when the kids came in from playing in the snow. threw the wet stuff into dryer and ready for round 3. now for going out in public, just dress warm and use your common sense. hats, scarves, long coats, ear muffs, gloves/mittens, wool socks, sturdy shoes, and lots of cocoa!!chains/snow tires can be really needed sometimes. i got stuck at the great swamp in jersey in lots of snow. duh moment for me. slush can be very slippery. cold weather gives you a natural blush. rinse your car off-salt is bad for cars. northerners love a southern accent. i find myself pouring it on a little thick for my friends up there. the only rude person i ever encountered was in Pennsylvania. she was visiting from Florida!
Awwww..I hope you can get back there. That's funny about the lady from Fl being rude. So here's a dumb question. If it's cold enough for snow..and we wash our truck won't the water just freeze on top of the salt/slush?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You didn't say where exactly you are moving - NY or PA and what part?

If you give me the general area, I would be better able to help you about what to expect.

I have lived in both states.
Well..it's both. His job is in Sayre PA and we will probably purchase a home right across the state line from there in Waverly or Spencer. Just south of Ithaca.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,293,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanat30 View Post
Awwww..I hope you can get back there. That's funny about the lady from Fl being rude. So here's a dumb question. If it's cold enough for snow..and we wash our truck won't the water just freeze on top of the salt/slush?
The force of the water coming out of the jets at the car wash is usually enough to blast off the salt, but you'll want to use the brush attachment if doing it by hand. Most folks just drive through and let the machine do it. Plus, there are powerful heat dryers as you drive out to blow off any remaining water.

A lot of great suggestions on here; may I add one more: Flannel sheets. Possibly an electric blanket too, for any bitter cold nights. Will your new home have any type of back-up heating? If the power goes out, you'll want something.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
you know kids dont get cold..even when their lips are purple. we had that snow last year in georgia....how did you dress and what did you do to keep warm and safe? its just longer winters up there. dont panic.
You are right about that...my kids were out in it and my youngest was barefoot. In and out with and without jackets. Crazy! That's what I worry about..they seem to have a different cold meter than me. lol I was inside bundled up drinking hot chocolate.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Don't forget that you also need to make sure that your cooling system/radiator fluid is changed to handle the much lower temps. Good wiper blades and tires are important too. You'll also want a snow brush/ice scraper with a long handle if you've got a big vehicle. If your vehicle is parked outside when it snows remember that it will take the defroster a little while to work on your windshield (at home you can start it up and go back in for a last cuppa, or fill your insulated travel mug).

Don't do what I did my first winter living back in snow country and put the new snow shovel in the detached garage. Now it lives on the covered back porch all winter so I can get to it without crossing through deep drifts to the garage. DUH!!

I like hooded fleece jackets - and they are available all sorts of places - you don't have to go with LL Bean or other expensive companies for those sorts of things.

Ugg type lined boots (I go for the cheaper knock offs) for indoors are a great thing to have, especially if you have hardwood floors or anything other than carpeting.

uggs - Google Search

I hope that you'll find your new home/experience to be great once you get settled in.
Great tips..I had no idea about the radiator. I guess any mechanic shop can winterize us when we get there? I've been so distracted with making sure I've got our bodies covered that I haven't really thought about our vehicles.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Not sure how old your kids are but you can get snow pants/bib-type overalls for playing in the snow, usually pretty cheap at Sears or a place like BJs and Costco. If they are little the bib-type are good because they are adjustable so they can last a few years. Honestly, many times we would just use fleece lined pants (the kind that are nylon on the outside) that you can get at Old Navy and Target. Most kids aren't going to last outside in huge amounts of snow....it's all dependent on age, how much snow there is, how cold it is, tolerance for the cold etc etc. Not sure where you are exactly moving so I don't know how much snow you'll actually see. If it's a more temperate climate there will be winters where you don't see any snow at all, or just a negligible amount.

Remember a lot of stuff can be worn year over year even as your kids grow. They won't out grow hats, mittens, scarves all that fast.

I like vests too....great for layering and great for days when it's not terribly cold out. So much easier to move around in.
I think it's called the Southern Tier in NY..just south of Ithaca. I'm afraid this area sees alot of snow from the lake effect but I'm not sure. My kids range from 5 to 14..all boys. So the good thing is I will always have handmedowns to pass on and save money.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
The force of the water coming out of the jets at the car wash is usually enough to blast off the salt, but you'll want to use the brush attachment if doing it by hand. Most folks just drive through and let the machine do it. Plus, there are powerful heat dryers as you drive out to blow off any remaining water.

A lot of great suggestions on here; may I add one more: Flannel sheets. Possibly an electric blanket too, for any bitter cold nights. Will your new home have any type of back-up heating? If the power goes out, you'll want something.
Oh ok..that makes sense. How often should we do it to protect our vehicles? I always heard that cars from up north have a special protective undercoating..do we need to have that done to ours to prevent it rusting?

I'm glad you brought up the heating question because I have wondered about some things. Our rental has gas heat but several of the houses we are looking at buying have oil heat. I've been told it is very expensive (like $800/mo) so I wonder why people don't convert and put in electric or gas heat?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 AM

452 posts, read 736,151 times
Coming from the north to the south you will have fun and the boys will think it is so cool. There is a difference in the cold from area to area up north we had a dry cold that did not go to the bones now where we are at it is a wet cold that gets you to the bones. Having had both you will enjoy it. Do not let the cold get you to stay inside if it is sunshining get the boys out up north there is not as much sun compared to the south so just beware of that. As for the cold the boys unless going to private school will wear jeans with a nice t-shirt or shirt check the schools website for dress codes. Sears will become your friend for the cold weather wear. Invest in a snow shovel and sled after awhile you can upgrade to a snowblower once you get the feeling for how much snow. If and when you buy a house make sure you have a garage if you do not make sure you have something for your car called freeze lock. It is incase it gets cold and wet in the lock of your car you can spray it into the locking mechanism and it will make it so you can get into the car. When it does get really cold make sure your car is better than half full of gas so you lines do not freeze up and if you buy cheap gas invest in something called dry gas at any automotive store. When looking for a house ask for the utilities bills and you can tell what is more expensive. Having lived up north more than half my life I will say I love a wood burning fireplace or stove. Enjoy and it is just a new experience for your family make the most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or