Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 PM

90 posts, read 188,269 times

Advertisements

Please don't move this thread to the pet forum because the question is specifically aimed at people that are relocating/moving and in the pet forum when the surrender issue is brought up, they jump all over you, and post these sad stories written from the animal's point of view about "how could you do this to me". Apparently animal lovers are die hards when it comes to their 4 legged family members.

I have tried every possible means of rehoming my pet and as much as I'm dreading having to surrender my bunny rabbit, it has to be done. Nobody will take her, it's a bad economy and apparently the "no kill" shelters are at full capacity, I've been on the waiting list since mid-July. Bringing her with me across country would be a threat to her health, and it would cause lot of complications to something already very complicated. If I had my own vehicle it would be a little easier and only service animals are allowed on trains. If money was no object she could be flown at a later date, but I don't have those kind of means.

So my question is has anybody else had to surrender a beloved pet because of a relocation? How did you cope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
I think it's a heart wrenching decision. I have left a very loved cat with my parents, we were moving to the Caribbean and had plans to smuggle her in after 6 months. We instead decided to move back stateside 9 months later and when we returned to take the cat she absolutely ignored us. She had a wonderful life, but we missed her.

I hope your bunny finds someone to care for her. I think it can be harder on the human than the animal, we remember things for a much longer time.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times
You can post an ad on craigslist on the rideshare section stating you are willing to pay for someone to take your rabbit to where you are relocating, if they are heading that way.

Another option is post a flyer at a truck stop, seeing if anyone is driving that way.

Both are longshots, but you never know.

Otherwise, you have to put your own well-being ahead of an animal. I did have to give up one dog, and of course it is painful.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
You could also go to the forums on Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder under transport to see if transportation can be lined up. Or, possibility of renting a vehicle for the move?

You can also check with local bunny enthusiast groups (do some googling to find groups on yahoo, etc) or county 4H extension office to see if world can be put out about bunny needing a home.

My personal take as a pet lover and long time owner ... I committed to taking care of them fully knowing my living situation might change, so I will do everything in my power to ensure they have a home with me. I have moved 2 dogs and 2-3 horses on several out of states / across state moves -and believe, it hasn't been cheap- because I am dedicated to them. My animals have a life long home with me. But, only you can decide what is best for you and your animal.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:29 AM

30 posts, read 191,518 times
Try your best to find a good home for your bunnyrabbit before you leave, OP! Remember, he is your responsibility. It can surely be done, just try all these options recommended in this thread. I once found homes for 4 abandoned kittens who showed up in our backyard, by just posting some flyers around the town (train stations, bus stations, stores). Contacting local bunny enthusiasts may also be an excellent idea.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
If Im not mistaken, there are rabbit rescue groups, would google them near your area (put in your zip code), they may not be right in your area but they may have foster homes who could take her or even keep her temporarily til you're settled if that's what you want to do. DrEarth had some good suggestions about finding someone to drive her out where you're relocating, they dont take up that much room and may do it very reasonably, just get ref's to make sure they're legit etc.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 AM

90 posts, read 188,269 times
ok thanks, i'll try some of those suggestions.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
No, I never did. A lot of people encouraged me to give up my dog when I re-located and was having a TON of trouble finding a place to rent.

But, I felt like I had given up so much for that move, that I was not giving up one more thing. Plus, he was like 10 years old and my first baby before my son came along.

I eventually ended up buying a town house (took a bath on that one) because I couldn't find a place to rent. I felt really strongly about it.

I'm not judging. My parents got me a bunny rabbit when I was young and he did not last too long at our house. Supposedly, they took him to a friends farm where he could 'run and be free'. They were pretty free and easy with their animals so it's hard to tell where he ended up.

I hope you can find a good home for your bunny rabbit. Sounds like you got some good suggestions to ensure that he is safe.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Has the OP tried this House Rabbit Society rescue group in Seattle?

Pet Adoption and Pet Rescue --- Seattle, Washington

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Sorry about your heart wrenching situation. Sometimes things happen in our lives, that are unexpected, and all you can do is move forward. Sounds like a lot people have some good suggestions for you. Maybe you should post an ad on CL, now, I know alot of people don't agree, but I got my cat, Jasper off of an ad on CL, and he has a pretty good home. You could make a family with kids very happy. Just think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues