Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,151 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I've been wanting to move out of my current area for years, but I've never really been able to tell where a good place to move would be, so I decided to ask.
I'm not sure if there is a place that completely suits my living wants, so I've put them in order by most important.

What I want:
1) Snow
Quote:
I live in Louisiana. I love the cold air, but I have little experience with snow. What I do know is that I love it, and would like the chances for a white Christmas to at least exist.
2) Decent job market
Quote:
I don't work online, so I would need to either find a job fairly quickly, or be able to get one beforehand. It would be a plus to get a full-time job that could provide me with enough income to live.
3) Fairly large or big city
Quote:
My city is far too small for me. In my area, there is a population density of 678 per square mi. (not gonna lie, I used wikipedia for that.). That is far too small for me. I work in a retail store, and when I go into our (incredibly tiny) mall, at least half of the people can, and will, spot me out.
4) Something to do
Quote:
An arcade. Or a comic book/game shop that you can hang out in and play a game of magic, or set up/join a D&D group. Or a zoo that has events. Or a weekend carnival/fair. Or... I think you get the picture.
5) Parking
Quote:
Okay, I didn't feel the need to add this one until a co-worker told me about one of the states she had lived in. I don't want to get a ticket for parking on the wrong side of the street on a Thursday because I was sick, or couldn't find my keys on Wednesday night and couldn't move it across the street. Actually, I prefer somewhere that has a few parking garages (I think that's what they're called), or enough parking space in the lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
find your spot. com

Old 09-22-2011, 03:23 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerotopos View Post
Hello!
I've been wanting to move out of my current area for years, but I've never really been able to tell where a good place to move would be, so I decided to ask.
I'm not sure if there is a place that completely suits my living wants, so I've put them in order by most important.

What I want:
1) Snow

2) Decent job market

3) Fairly large or big city

4) Something to do

5) Parking
Rochester, NY...only because out of your 5 it has #4 more than any place else I've lived. I once was going to move to Cincinnati, OH because it had all the criteria *I* was looking for....which is similar to your list.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Start with finding a job.
Wherever that might be will probably be fine.
If you want snow stay above the 40th parallel.

I think that covers it.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,151 times
^_^ Thank you guys so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202
I once was going to move to Cincinnati, OH because it had all the criteria *I* was looking for....which is similar to your list.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your list?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Upstate NY cities--Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse or Albany might fit what you want.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
For the snow part you would probably, for a little while, enjoy living where a friend of mine lives in Ontario. They've already had snow flurries this year! How much snow? Several years ago one of her sons and some friends got in trouble by climbing up on a snow drift and peeing in a neighbor's chimney. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues