Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM

14,676 posts, read 7,978,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think all of these moves have helped me grow as a person. It is always good for anyone to experience new places and meet new people, whether it turns out to be a good or bad experience.
I have lived in Louisville Kentucky, Connecticut, Miami Beach, Fla, Baltimore,
Maryland, Utah for a brief period and then finally to Lexington, Kentucky.
All the places have had good points and bad, and it's amazing that the different cities have such a different culture. But it is always interesting to move. Some of the places were nice, some not so much - but they all help me grow as a person, if that makes any sense.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM

49 posts, read 96,658 times
Been to every state except the east coast I'm only 29 and live on Minnesota and looking to move again.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,571,833 times
I don't see how anyone can think cuz you move somewhere and it didn't "work" for you that it's a failure. I don't understand that type of thinking. You try different things your whole life is you're alive. If you don't wanna try because of fear than that's more of a failure I think. You learn a lot about yourself,what you like and don't, how to adapt, flexibility, thinking on your feet. I think not trying something because of fear is a worse fate!

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 09-07-2012 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 AM

5,015 posts, read 7,391,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I don't see how anyone can think cuz you move somewhere and it didn't "work" for you that it's a failure. I don't understand that type of thinking. You try different things your whole life is you're alive. If you don't wanna try because of fear than that's more of a failure I think. You learn a lot about yourself,what you like and don't, how to adapt, flexibility, thinking on your feet. I think not trying something because of fear is a worse fate!
So true!
You'll regret what you never tried!
Letting fear of "failure" run your life...is no way to approach life.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
Some people think they are failures because their life in State B is different than State A where they lived last. I grew up in a mobile family. We moved nine times by the time I was 8 years old. I looked at moving as a new adventure. When I became an adult, moving was part of military life. It was no longer an adventure. It was a new chapter in my life. Each area has a secret and its history whether its Al Capone or a beautiful glass chapel hiddn deep in mountain woods.

The past is gone! Long live the future and your new life..

Old 09-07-2012, 01:37 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,571,833 times
I think we have "ideas" about places and we can live our whole life "thinking" it's true even if it isn't. It can be about a state being red or blue or a place we grew up or any other 1000 things.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,407,468 times
I've lived in AZ, VA, MD, MN, WI, IL, FL, NM and TX...I have a little nostalgia for all of them. My least favorite are WI, FL, NM
My favorite is VA/DC/MD area and someday I know i'll get back there.
I spent the last 5 years in Houston, TX and I was just dying to move back to VA but since I was divorced in TX my son had a geographical location restriction on him and my ex-husband would not let us move - I was trying to get my ex a job in VA and coerce him into moving there I didn't want my son to be far from my ex because of potential future abandonment issues (which he probably will still have). I moved to AZ this past June because my ex said he would move here, so I packed up and left TX....How dumb can I be? Houston has the best economy and job creation in the country and I was so set on moving that once I had the opportunity I did. I can't stand this hotter than the surface of the sun dust bowl! I was born here and I am now finished with it...Now I am working on moving to VA, WA, MD, MA (might as well move now since I have big plans for my five year old to attend Harvard)! Anywhere but here!
I am quite sure that once I get to the next place I'll want to move again eventually. I know I have commitment issues but some things never change and I might as well embrace it, right?
Anyone else with similar thoughts?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,448 times
I'm originally from NY but relocated to CA when I was in my late 20's. I was in CA for 8 years and got married, and had my 1st baby last year. My husband and I always had this feeling like we wanted to move back east especially when the baby was born so she could be close to all our family. Well we recently moved to CT and we've been here for 4 months now and we're already talking about the east coast not being the right decision. It seems like not much time has gone by since you left home until you come back and things just don't feel the same. I feel like this chapter of my life is over, and we're not even the same people anymore. Not sure what our next move will be....

Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM

836 posts, read 1,654,641 times
I'm kind of a geographic malcontent.

Now I move someplace new and see how long I can stand it.

Sort of a hobby.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,643,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNC View Post
I'm originally from NY but relocated to CA when I was in my late 20's. I was in CA for 8 years and got married, and had my 1st baby last year. My husband and I always had this feeling like we wanted to move back east especially when the baby was born so she could be close to all our family. Well we recently moved to CT and we've been here for 4 months now and we're already talking about the east coast not being the right decision. It seems like not much time has gone by since you left home until you come back and things just don't feel the same. I feel like this chapter of my life is over, and we're not even the same people anymore. Not sure what our next move will be....
It is very hard especially with kids. When we had our first moved from West to East, we had no family. However we were very lucky living in a great neighborhood with amazing friends that became our family. Unfortunately we had to move and now I have that feeling where is home? Friends and family are all over the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues