Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM

403 posts, read 935,576 times

Advertisements

My husband was in the military and I moved from PA to NC to FL to SC and back to PA. The move to SC was awful. The city of Charleston is beautiful but it was like stepping back in time....racism, awful job situation, snobbish attitudes, yankee vs natives, etc. So we picked up and moved back to Phila with no jobs. We got on our feet very quickly but coming "back home" just doesn't feel right. Like a shoe that just doesn't fit. I hate being reminded of my high school sweethearts and all the things I did when I was a kid. I have moved on and I want to explore a new area. I love moving and I am ready to go again. This time I have 2 young kids and I can't take chances like I used to. Trying to get a good paying job in a new area that we want to go to has been challenging. Been here 5 years and hoping not much longer...

Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero241 View Post
I moved from Ohio to Las Vegas in July 2010. It is now August 2011 & I am back in Ohio.

The 1 year I spent in Vegas was very difficult for me. I moved 2100 miles away from home with just my dog. At first it was exciting to explore a whole new area of the country. But then the homesickness & loneliness set in.

I still went out & did a lot of things by myself but kept telling myself that I needed to go home. I had a large group of friends & family back home that I am very close to. I was not used to being alone & I let it get to me. So instead of trying to make the best of it, I gave up and headed back east as soon as I could find a job.

But a weird thing happened as the moving day approached. I started thinking that I wasn't done with Vegas yet & still had some things to accomplish. I started thinking about how living in Vegas was what I always wanted & now I am giving up so easily, I have never been a quitter.

I knew in my gut that I should not be moving back. But instead of stopping it, I still moved back. I have been back in Ohio 1 week now & every day I remember why I left. Yes, it has been great seeing friends & family again, but I think I could have gotten the same satisfaction with a vacation.

The took a huge paycut to come back & have to replace things that I didn't bring back with me. It has been a very expensive lesson to learn. But it has made me realize alot of things. I did leave my job in Vegas on good terms & they did mention that they would take me back if I wanted to come back. So now I am debating moving back to Vegas.

My advice to anyone that is homesick is to go visit home for a while. There is a reason you left. Also before moving back home to really think if you have done all that you could to make your new location home.

This is true. I never psychologically fully recovered from my unsuccessful Phoenix move until recently. I mentally tortured myself for years after I flaked out. I will not move to Phoenix again, but I will move somewhere. For now though I do my best here in the Lehizzle fo Shizzle. I hope another opportunity presents itself in 6 months-2years.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I moved to Houston from NJ in 1978. Drove there by myself. all my possessions in the car! I had never been there, had one friend there.
Turned out to be the best thing I'd ever done.
I stayed there 16 years and loved it.
sigh...
In 1994 I returned to nj, I decided to attend graduate school. Why NJ? Don't know. I could have gone to graduate school just outside of Houston, but I decided to come back to nj.

I soon dropped out of school, and been stuck here. Now that I no longer work, and rely on a small social security, I feel like I am stuck here.

I wish I'd stayed in Houston.
Yeah, but you had a solid run.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
North Carolina is a vortex. It draws people. Some types love it. Others do not.

Agreed. we moved there and lived for seven years. And moved away because they hated us.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 PM

551 posts, read 582,708 times
Interesting thread.

In 2009 I moved to Houston TX for several months with my then-boyfriend. I'm from the Midwest...and I always hated cold weather. I had (have) seasonal depression, wanted some warmth, some sunshine, my ex had a great job opp, so off we went.

Oh My Gawd I hated it SO MUCH. I will say I don't regret the experience because it sure shook out my feelings of wanderlust, but truly traveling for vacation is sufficient. The experience of actually setting up a life and making a home in a completely different region, state, and culture really, was a good one, but not one I'd like to repeat.

There is no place like home, cliché though it is. I just never acclimated to the humidity (it was AWFUL), the insects (the roaches! I had never seen them before..they are huge in Houston), the traffic, etc. I liked the big city atmosphere to an extent, there was always stuff to do, but I prefer mid sized towns.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInColorado View Post
Moved from San Diego to Colorado. We've been here 16 months, bought a house, and I'm still not settled or acclimated. It's not that Colorado is awful, it's very beautiful, it's just working for me. The worst part is that my wife is now unsettled and depressed about the uncertainty. We're empty-nesters and really don't want to move again, but that may be the only way to solve this. Would take any wise, sage counsel. God help us!
^^^Boy, do I understand. We sold our home, extensively researched and traveled to where we currently
live, are renting (wise move on our part) and this place seemed to fit the bill. I want to go home
but the city's COL is much higher now. We gave it our best shot and will have to stay another year
and we will be looking to leave. The thought of staying one more year is very depressing.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
An old line from my friend, a steely eyed Army MSG, he said, " A Good Run, is better then a Bad Stand."

Here's the deal, if your not happy and comfortable in your skin for what ever reason, get out! Life's too short for anything less. I hope and wish all well, I hope it all works out for all of you, because if I was in the same situation, I know what I would do at any cost, your health and peace of mind is everything. Good Luck. Stay well.

Knight

Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
An old thread renewed!
My story: Originally from Jersey, lived in SoCal (L.A.) for several months in the mid-'80s (just after the '84 Olympics wrapped up). I liked L.A. but it's so spread out - you need a car to get places. Moved back East, back to Jersey. Moved to South Carolina in '89, after just over a year there got homesick as all get out, and after a time wanted to go back home. Family (Dad, siblings) still lived in Jersey; I was considering relocating to another part of South Carolina to take a job (Feb. '91) when my Dad had a stroke. I dropped everything and came back home to help care for him. I have no regrets about leaving South Carolina; I wanted to come home.
Part II: In '08, I began seeing someone from Ohio, this significant other escaped an abusive husband. I brought her to Jersey, she moved in with me. We married in '10, we make yearly trips to Ohio (her home) to see her family. After a time, she hates Jersey, wants for us to move to Ohio. I have a good job, benefits, etc. in Jersey; no jobs available (in my field) in Ohio - recession, you know. I did my fact checking there. Our marriage goes south, she leaves me and goes back to Ohio. I'm hurt by her leaving, but I understand the homesickness. So, she's back to her home, and I to mine.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 PM

521 posts, read 733,191 times
I am considering a move but not back home necessarily from a place we just moved to last year! We moved from Orange County CA to the north shore of Kauai, which had been a dream for many years. It's beautiful and we've made friends and seem to fit in but I feel sick all the time! I never had allergies before but they are terrible now. I've seen doctors and have meds. I've also been diagnosed with asthma since moving here and now have an inhaler. And the constant heat and humidity leave me totally drained and lethargic so I have to basically drink a pot of coffee to get going (never had caffeine before). It's just taking a toll physically and I'm very sad over it. But even with a the meds/coffee the best I feel is 70%-80% of normal. My husband and I are both over CA and plan on moving to Boulder CO if I can't acclimate within the next year or two. Our kids are not yet school age so moving isn't an issue. Very sad though since I love it here but health is most important.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:27 AM

9 posts, read 13,578 times
My roommate and I are completely packing up and moving to Long Beach, California from Columbia, South Carolina in 18 days. We are gonna pack what we can in our cars (clothes, pc, xbox, longboards, guitar, and food) then have about $7000 between the two of us. Haven't put as much planning into it as we should have. Been wanting to do the move for years but planning it for a few months. But man time is flying by. With only 18 days left there is so much stuff I need to do as well as want to do before leaving all my friends and family. It's gonna be scary but i'm hoping for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues