U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,258,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When I was married, we bought this house, my ex picked it, we had a flood there. Sewage backed into our home from a storm drain. Our home was ruined. And, no flood insurance. It was awful. I always disliked that house. It had bad "feng shui". I truly believe in "feng shui".
Believe in feng shui also. We had a wet and sodden house that was a money pit and LITERALLY sucked us dry.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,781,794 times
Default scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Absolutely. And I've also felt right at home instantly in certain places!

My reasons may strike others as far out, but certain people are open to vibes. And some vibes affect some people in a bad way.

Residual energy is held in certain places. Building a new house won't change that by the way. It can be in the building, but more often than not it exisits in the earth, what when on there way before you arrived and the people who have been subsequently drawn to the place, which you actually alluded to in your post.
That conjures up images of the Amityville House

Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,703,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I think anyone who moves to SC is out of their mind.
That's funny. I hear that from my wife all the time. We moved just south of Charlotte. We not really in redneck country. One big boring place!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,676,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
That's funny. I hear that from my wife all the time. We moved just south of Charlotte. We not really in redneck country. One big boring place!
Charlotte, NC? At least it's better than anywhere I've been to in SC. I can't think of one positive thing to say about that state, sadly.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:49 PM

7,740 posts, read 9,037,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Charlotte, NC? At least it's better than anywhere I've been to in SC. I can't think of one positive thing to say about that state, sadly.
I have to laugh when I read these posts about North and South Carolina. I had a lady in the career services department at my college try to sell those states as if they were the Promised Land. Aside from the fact that I couldn't even afford to interview there, let alone try to fund a move there, I knew there was no way I could live there due to the very different culture and the climate.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,102,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
yes, absolutely, New York City. It all started even before I moved there (on my 1st visit). Won't go into all the details but it was one really bad, horrible thing after another. I was lucky I got out of there alive and still sane. This was like over 40 years ago and I have never gone back, nor will I ever.
I feel the same way about NYC, except I am actually FROM here. And still stuck here, sadly. I absolutely hate it with every fiber of my being. I know, deep down, I am now meant to be here, and am working my hardest to get OUT.

I can't understand people who deem this place the greatest city. UGH. I despise it.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,366,210 times
then there are those unlikely places who fit like a glove...I moved from Southern New Jersey back to coalregion, Pa and it was just what I needed. I was happy, the stress fell off me, I got a job ...but then they started laying off workers left and right and it all went downhill, if I hadn't needed to work for a living, I'd still be there, stressfree

Old 06-01-2012, 03:09 PM

541 posts, read 1,817,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigo14 View Post
It can be maddening when you live in a decent place that everyone else seems to think is fine but you're unhappy and somehow can't overcome the feeling that you don't "fit." I lived in a small city for four years where I was miserable and yet always feeling that it was me, not the place. Meanwhile my energy levels dropped, I had low-level depression that I couldn't overcome. It was partly an inhospitable climate, partly just a place that was somewhat conservative. And maybe it was geography -- I always had a feeling of stuckness there, something weird about the "vibe."

Now while I know that some of this was indeed my own attitudes that needed to change, I felt my destiny was imperiled if I remained there. But depression/low energy kept me stuck, which fed the depression/low energy, etc. Well I finally had a negative situation that pissed me off enough to overcome inertia and move. And it was very transforming to choose a new place and try a new way of life! There may always be challenges, or imperfections, but TRULY things became so much better because I decided to relocate and begin anew. I gave myself the gift of a fresh start!

Wanted to post on this because people may say that it's you/not the place that's at fault, or you have to change yourself first, or there are no geographical cures. While there are pitfalls in any move, and you do have to prepare, I've come to think that there ARE miracles that can happen when you try a new place. It's like staying in a bad relationship because you don't think you deserve something better, or that it's up to you to try to make it work. Sometimes you just have to say, this ain't it -- and take a chance on a place you think will be much better for you. Even if it doesn't work out in every single way, it's empowering to move toward greater happiness!
Yes! So true.

I am from NYC and lived in MD during college. I loved both places. I moved to MA when I met my husband and was there for 9 years. I loved MA too, but we were sick of the winters and wanted cheaper housing and to try something new. My husband's company was selling to a bigger company and there were rumors of lay offs so we felt it was a good time to move.

We liked FL a lot and moved there for nearly 6 years. We both liked most things about our time in FL, but never found decent full time jobs with good benefits. We loved our town, we loved where we did work, we made tons of great friends and always had SO many things to do close by! We did have a few negative things happen other than the job issue (husband slipped and broke his elbow, had a run in with some nasty people with one of our side businesses) but the positives outweighed the negatives! At the time the steady job thing got us down though. Everything was temp, contract.

We moved back to MA 2 years ago when a friend told DH about an opening at his company. The pay was the same as DH was making in FL, but it was steady (not contract/temp) and had great benefits. We did not really want to move, but the benefits were too good to turn down.

Well now we regret it. I have that stuck feeling. Like I am moving in slow motion all the time. The funny thing is we are living in the town we always said we would love to live in-upscale, great walking city, close to train line into Boston, right near the ocean, nice rental house with a big yard... The thing is I just feel-lost. For the 1st time in my life I can't just deal with it. I have not found work in 2 years so I work from home doing my own thing rather than take a min. wage job. It is so boring and isolating. I feel so unfulfilled. With me not working much we can't do many extra things like we used to (travel, go out to eat, have an extra car so I can get out more.)

The landlords are very nice but super LOUD. Banging around all the time. Slamming doors. Waking us up at 2am running up and down the stairs. The house is so old and smells musty (dirt floor cellar.) The carpets are old and stink. We have steamed them, but I think they are 10 years old! When it rains or snows a lot the cellar has major running water leaks and it smells. We always thought we would love an old house and now I am so glad we never bought one We do try to make the most of it and get into Boston when we can or go hiking/biking, etc. Our hearts are just not in it though.

We are trying to get back to FL ASAP. Applying every day. Networking. Our parents are giving us a hard time because they think DH's job is awesome. The job does treat him well but he has no interest in what he is doing (banking.) They hired him on the recommendation of our good friend and DH's tech know how. He is bored and has no room to move up. It is a small company and no one is going anywhere. He already makes the most in his dept. but we still struggle without me making a lot.

I had a call for an interview in FL and wanted to stay with my parents there short term if they said yes, and they freaked out over the interview. I will just stay with friends or at a hotel if that happens again. I feel like we have no support. The parents can not understand why we want to move back to FL. I got SAD very badly the past 2 winters and just want to get out. I would try CA as well (we both get great vibes/energy there) but it is $$$ and we only know a few people out there.

This thread made me feel better though! Like we are NOT crazy

Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 AM

27 posts, read 67,689 times
luvthatmouse,

When you work at home you're a lot more sensitive to the place you live in, I know what that's like. The little things that you'd deal with if you were working outside become magnified and can be much more irritating when they invade your space (both physical and head).

It sometimes just takes time to sort it all out, moving is a huge deal! So many details and choices to be made and sometimes it's just not right yet. The waiting/exploration period can be very fruitful. It's good to keep in mind your "touchstones" for what you want in a new phase of life and not be too fixated on a certain city or state. So many places that used to be dullsville have been regenerated and can be a great choice as a new home and they may come to your attention as you do your research.

Also sometimes you just need stability for your work or other purpose in life more than you need a fresh start. It's hard to know which is best sometimes. I regret staying too long in some places I lived that I didn't like, but it's a tough call: part of me wishes I'd had the gumption to move, but I can also see how that phase of my life was served by living in a place where the rent was more affordable or there were people or opportunities that were important for that time. It's very consuming of your time and energy to move sometimes, so you want to at least try to hit the mark on what you really want, and there's no shame in delaying till it feels right or a door opens that gives you a sign that it's time.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 AM

541 posts, read 1,817,099 times
We have been focusing on FL since we know so many people there and my parents are there. We have a lot of friends we can stay with short term if we need to. We are also familiar with areas, roads, shopping, etc. I would move to another area that was warm year round, but I don't know if DH would. I wanted to move to CA for college and my parents discouraged me from that. I wish I had done it! We have applied to a few things out there because we do have 2 very good friends in San Diego, but the only thing that called so far was another contract job.

Our rent here in MA is too high. We had to decide on the job/move in about a month, so we took the house that our friend said was the best. We had hoped I would be working right away. Now rent is a stretch and we are not able to save or do much extra. We would probably have to move when the lease was up even if we stayed in MA. So a big PITA anyway. I would rather move someplace I had a job too. That we really liked. And a job DH enjoyed more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or