U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting to move somewhere that SOMETHING goes RIGHT

Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,017,531 times
I live there right now.

Job situation is horrible, housing is unaffordable, and the available medical care is a joke that is under the strangle hold of a practical monopoly.

Hilarious thing is, Im not sure Ill ever leave. Im almost 31, and not even close to a point it would make sense to move.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 PM

30,066 posts, read 16,619,946 times
I like where I live but nothing is going right. I can barely manage the lawn; for a relatively new house - I've had a plumber over at least 6 times; my dog had a screwed up surgery; tree stumps that the old homeowner left me are growing back; no landscaper ever returns my call;

I really don't know what the universe is trying to tell me.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 5,111,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I like where I live but nothing is going right. I can barely manage the lawn; for a relatively new house - I've had a plumber over at least 6 times; my dog had a screwed up surgery; tree stumps that the old homeowner left me are growing back; no landscaper ever returns my call;

it's saying go south--since i moved up north to PA--am on a downward slide

Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,755,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

What part of Ohio are you in and how long have you lived there? I am from Ohio and let me tell ya, when we went back (twice) it was very clear it was not for us.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,258,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigo14 View Post
It can be maddening when you live in a decent place that everyone else seems to think is fine but you're unhappy and somehow can't overcome the feeling that you don't "fit." I lived in a small city for four years where I was miserable and yet always feeling that it was me, not the place. Meanwhile my energy levels dropped, I had low-level depression that I couldn't overcome. It was partly an inhospitable climate, partly just a place that was somewhat conservative. And maybe it was geography -- I always had a feeling of stuckness there, something weird about the "vibe."

Now while I know that some of this was indeed my own attitudes that needed to change, I felt my destiny was imperiled if I remained there. But depression/low energy kept me stuck, which fed the depression/low energy, etc. Well I finally had a negative situation that pissed me off enough to overcome inertia and move. And it was very transforming to choose a new place and try a new way of life! There may always be challenges, or imperfections, but TRULY things became so much better because I decided to relocate and begin anew. I gave myself the gift of a fresh start!

Wanted to post on this because people may say that it's you/not the place that's at fault, or you have to change yourself first, or there are no geographical cures. While there are pitfalls in any move, and you do have to prepare, I've come to think that there ARE miracles that can happen when you try a new place. It's like staying in a bad relationship because you don't think you deserve something better, or that it's up to you to try to make it work. Sometimes you just have to say, this ain't it -- and take a chance on a place you think will be much better for you. Even if it doesn't work out in every single way, it's empowering to move toward greater happiness!
I agree with this! Life is way too short to live in a place that you hate.
I don't care if your family has lived there forever - or if you just pulled up roots a few years ago and moved 2000 miles away and detest it.

Chances are you're not going to like it any better.

Too many people let fear and sentiment rule their lives. Give a new place a try. The old one will be there if you really don't like it.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I haven’t posted here for … well over a year, at least. (I have been busy moving, retiring, and setting up a new place.) I decided to browse City-Data again, and came across this thread. Wow, did it hit a nerve!

My “bad” place was Phoenix, Arizona. I moved there for a job I truly desired. There were some good things there – the place I worked at and the people I met at work. But I never felt happy.

I had moved from Western New York to Phoenix. I only lasted about two years. I truly wanted to make it work.

Yes, there was culture shock – I had never lived in a desert before. But it was that awful oppressive feeling that I did not “fit.”

While there, I never felt right. I was depressed, and... my mother died back east in a botched operation…. That was kind of the final straw. I just remember crying an awful lot. I could not shake that undeniable sadness and loneliness I felt there.

I moved to Boulder, Colorado – not that far away, but it was amazingly different and happy! I actually regret having moved from Boulder.

Then I tried Phoenix again after leaving Seattle (yes, I’ve moved around). I left Seattle for personal reasons (the weather was not the main factor, although I was relieved to be out of the gloom). I got to Phoenix, and it started all over again. I couldn’t get a job, a place, it was depressing, and it was like deje vu. Finally, one of my friends, also from the east coast who found Arizona wonderful for him said, “This is not the place for you. I think you should find another place to live – it is too difficult for you here.” That made me at least realize I wasn’t crazy.

And then, my last time there was when a sister of mine had moved there, and decided to leave for a job (it almost seemed like Karma that she chose to pull her kids out of a high school they loved to get her husband a better job when he was already a CEO). I went there for the funeral because her son died during a “good-bye” camping trip – he did not want to move from there – and there he remains….

I figured my mother and my nephew died there. I had a miserable time. I loved the one place at which I worked, but other than that, it seemed I was lonely, depressed, often would just start crying, things just didn’t work out. One block after another. And then when my mother died, I said, “That’s it!” and I moved to Boulder – where it was dramatically different.

I know this sounds a little hokey, but have any of you heard of Astrocartography? It is a way to see where your planets are in different places. Ironically, I had Jupiter (good things) and Saturn (bad things) crossing over themselves right there in Phoenix. The “good” was the job and those people; the bad was everything else. I will never live on a Saturn line again! In Boulder, NO Saturn line!!

I honestly do believe that there are “good” and “bad” places for us. I am now in a middle-ground place – it’s nice, but it’s not how it was when I lived in Boulder, although it is similar. However, frankly, I’m scared to start over in another unknown place! At least here I know it went okay, and I have a beautiful environment and friends. If I want mountains, I have them easily accessible here.

It is weird how some places actually DO seem cursed! I just think that for whatever reasons, whether they be metaphysical, physical or just who knows, that some places ARE better and worse than others. So, if you ARE stuck in a place that just doesn’t seem to go your way, you seem to always be going upstream, and it’s been awhile of really trying to make it work, I think it is logical to leave. If it’s really bad there, odds are it may be okay someplace else.

And the worst thing is, like some have said, you STILL sometimes feel drawn to some of those places (and I do believe in Karma, so I think that is part of the draw). Often I have thought about going to Phoenix for workshops, or just to visit the desert…..but I honestly do not want to set foot in Arizona again. It is plain scary to me!
I'm sorry that all of this happened to you.

I happen to believe in astrochartography. Nothing hokey about it.
I don't know a lot about it, but from what I understand, certain places are good for some people and not for others. Not all places are bad or evil - but a few are.

Could you tell me what a Saturn line is?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 AM

I was reading this and sharing it with my husband. It strikes me that a few places seem to come up over and over as negative, where as others positive or at least neutral.

It could be that these are places that attract people because of their "good weather" - or it could be something else.

I think it's something else.

For example, perhaps the most transient and superficially desirable place to folks East of the Mississippi, is Florida. I would have expected to have heard many more horror stories from that transient state. But I think there were only 2 - and one was resolved.

Places that seem to come up over and over again are Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico.
It strikes me that perhaps we were not meant to live in certain places.
Places with out grass and water, for example.
Perhaps living in an inferno that requires A/C 24/7 - 365 is a lot worse than enduring three months of a bit of cold.

I don't know, it's just a thought.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM

841 posts, read 1,663,252 times
Yes.
I believe in giving a new place AT LEAST 1 year.

We lived in one state for a year and it only got better the end of the year there but by that point my husband had a deadend job and we decided we didn't want to raise our (future) children in that area. That was in 1995.

In 2007-2010 we lived in a different state and hung in, despite me being unable to get a steady job. He had a job he liked but it was disruptive to our lives and by the end of it, my son's schooling had gone down the tubes, we felt depressed at losing a potential house purchase, and like I said, I couldn't get a job ANYWHERE. (so I am very used to the Recession.). We also endured severe winters, isolation, and other negatives but tried to hang in until the end.

Now we moved HERE last year for my husband's new job and he got fired early in 2012.

Nothing has gone right here and he can't get hired for anything else. I've been homeschooling for 2 years to give my son some stability. I can't have him in and out of schools with his issues.

Right now I am so done here but despite a few nibbles, my husband has not gotten any job offer in 4-5 months. He was looking BEFORE he got fired.

I wish we could find a place where things could work out. It's easy to say bloom where you are planted but you need some positives to keep you inspired.

By the by, neither my husband or me are what you'd call uneducated or have bad resumes. I have a lot of various experience and education, despite breaks for childcare, and my husband has worked steadily since coming to the USA in 1992.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM

7,742 posts, read 9,037,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was reading this and sharing it with my husband. It strikes me that a few places seem to come up over and over as negative, where as others positive or at least neutral.

It could be that these are places that attract people because of their "good weather" - or it could be something else.

I think it's something else.

For example, perhaps the most transient and superficially desirable place to folks East of the Mississippi, is Florida. I would have expected to have heard many more horror stories from that transient state. But I think there were only 2 - and one was resolved.

Places that seem to come up over and over again are Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico.
It strikes me that perhaps we were not meant to live in certain places.
Places with out grass and water, for example.
Perhaps living in an inferno that requires A/C 24/7 - 365 is a lot worse than enduring three months of a bit of cold.

I don't know, it's just a thought.
The transient state that has not come up much on here is Montana. People come there with romantic notions about how the state is only to find out the wages are low, jobs are few, and cost of living is high. I think the best advice is to not move to places that are romanticized and go where you can make a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or