U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times

Advertisements

I moved from North East Pennsylvania to North East Ohio and I feel as though a heavy boulder has been lifted from my back!

We are from New York State and we'd enjoyed many happy vacations in the Pocono Mountains. We thought the move was a "natural" for us.

We were SO WRONG!

For complicated reasons we did not wind up in the Poconos but 40 miles north. It was truly horrible! Nothing went right for us. Problems with cars, health and violent neighbors!

We hated or neighborhood but every time we attempted to purchase a house, something went wrong.

Once we were turned down by a seller because we were "originally from New York"!

We found our self in Ohio by accident. We were taking our son to college and we spotted a house on line, called about it, went to see it and received financing the very next week!

We have been living here for almost 6 months. We already have friends. We have good neighbors and we are involved in our community.

From my experience, I will say this -

1. Just because you vacationed at or near a place or in a certain state, and loved it, does not mean that place should ever be your home.

2. If you are having difficulty moving to a state or another location and a series of odd events prevents you from moving there, this could be God or the Universe or whatever you prefer, telling you "NO".

I'm not encouraging people to become quitters. But too many strange obsticals might be a sign that you should look elsewhere!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)

8,695 posts, read 10,842,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
1. Just because you vacationed at or near a place or in a certain state, and loved it, does not mean that place should ever be your home.

2. If you are having difficulty moving to a state or another location and a series of odd events prevents you from moving there, this could be God or the Universe or whatever you prefer, telling you "NO".

I'm not encouraging people to become quitters. But too many strange obsticals might be a sign that you should look elsewhere!

Boy are you right! Moving to where we are now--nightmare extraordinaire! Selling home living hel*, the move, trying to rent a place 3 wks before the closing, landlord showing our rental and possibly having had to rent again, houses on the market from hel*. We actually looked at a house w/ a stairways/iron stairs going from kitchen down to cellar (sharp & winding one). I called this the stairways to hel*! Job interviews from hel*, co-workers from hel*, taxes from hel*, weather from hel*. You get the idea. But, I met a lot of animal friends.

God is telling you, "Hey wait a minute."

Old 07-17-2013, 01:36 PM

7,737 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I moved from North East Pennsylvania to North East Ohio and I feel as though a heavy boulder has been lifted from my back!

We are from New York State and we'd enjoyed many happy vacations in the Pocono Mountains. We thought the move was a "natural" for us.

We were SO WRONG!

For complicated reasons we did not wind up in the Poconos but 40 miles north. It was truly horrible! Nothing went right for us. Problems with cars, health and violent neighbors!

We hated or neighborhood but every time we attempted to purchase a house, something went wrong.

Once we were turned down by a seller because we were "originally from New York"!

We found our self in Ohio by accident. We were taking our son to college and we spotted a house on line, called about it, went to see it and received financing the very next week!

We have been living here for almost 6 months. We already have friends. We have good neighbors and we are involved in our community.

From my experience, I will say this -

I can't rep you enough for this one! Both are excellent points. You should not move where you vacation. Sure, the area may be scenic and may have fun things to do, but you should always remember that you are on vacation when you are in those places. You are not at work, you don't have any responsibilities, and you are relaxed because you are on vacation. I always tell people the same thing when they get captivated by Montana's beauty when they visit in the summer (and are in for a shock in winter.) People in Montana don't hike, hunt, ski, fly fish, boat, or camp every day, they still have jobs just like everyone else and with the low wages there you might be lucky if you can afford to all of those things. Sure, the mountains are pretty but the novelty of looking at them doesn't last long and they don't feed you or pay your bills. Orlando is a great place to visit but I'm sure Orlando residents aren't in Disney World or Universal Studios every day. Hawaii is another great place to visit but I'm sure the beaches do get stale after a while. You should base a move on whether you can afford to live there on the salaries they pay.

The second point is also true. I have mentioned this previously on this thread, but I moved to western Montana and nothing went right. To begin with, it took me all summer to rent the place due to the incompetence of the slumlords and then they snooped around and stiffed me on the deposit. My car broke down within a short time, as did my cell phone, the pay was horrible, the cost of living was high, and the people were the some of the most ignorant, rude, backwards people I have ever met. I flipped the town off the day I moved out. I had plenty of doubts before moving in to town but listened to a lot of bad advice and ended up moving there anywhere. I agree, God, or whomever or whatever you choose to believe in does warn you and it's best to listen.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I can't rep you enough for this one! Both are excellent points. You should not move where you vacation. Sure, the area may be scenic and may have fun things to do, but you should always remember that you are on vacation when you are in those places. You are not at work, you don't have any responsibilities, and you are relaxed because you are on vacation. I always tell people the same thing when they get captivated by Montana's beauty when they visit in the summer (and are in for a shock in winter.) People in Montana don't hike, hunt, ski, fly fish, boat, or camp every day, they still have jobs just like everyone else and with the low wages there you might be lucky if you can afford to all of those things. Sure, the mountains are pretty but the novelty of looking at them doesn't last long and they don't feed you or pay your bills. Orlando is a great place to visit but I'm sure Orlando residents aren't in Disney World or Universal Studios every day. Hawaii is another great place to visit but I'm sure the beaches do get stale after a while. You should base a move on whether you can afford to live there on the salaries they pay.

The second point is also true. I have mentioned this previously on this thread, but I moved to western Montana and nothing went right. To begin with, it took me all summer to rent the place due to the incompetence of the slumlords and then they snooped around and stiffed me on the deposit. My car broke down within a short time, as did my cell phone, the pay was horrible, the cost of living was high, and the people were the some of the most ignorant, rude, backwards people I have ever met. I flipped the town off the day I moved out. I had plenty of doubts before moving in to town but listened to a lot of bad advice and ended up moving there anywhere. I agree, God, or whomever or whatever you choose to believe in does warn you and it's best to listen.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Not long winded at all! Actually, full of wisdom!

If you remember, up-thread, I visited Wyoming with my parents in my teens. I loved it! LOVED! I was a teenager who loved riding. I loved the mountains!

Later I watched any movie with Wyoming as a setting. I want to vacation there again.

But I thank God - I'm comfortable with that term - that I have my home.

Great Post!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,717,452 times
You all bring up excellent points. I moved to an area, where I knew there was high demand for my work. Too high of a demand! I never got a day off, they were short staffed, I was constantly over booked, two and three deep. It was crazy. If the job is bad, you know it will mess up the rest of your life!

I met crazy guys, one I knew a month, and he was at my place, I went to get my laundry, he was alone in my house for five minutes, I found all my rings missing a day later.

I moved, and it was the best move ever. My life is rainbows now.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM

322 posts, read 484,893 times
I lived in New Haven, CT for 3 years from 2010-2013 while in law school. Iti literally the most depressing place in the U.S. I don't advise ANYONE to move there.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 PM

724 posts, read 1,151,920 times
I found this thread on a day I really needed it. A day, a month, a season, a year- let's just say a decade that I really needed it.

I go back and forth regarding is it the place or is it me? I'll take it, at least to say, this place is not for me. The place is in the southwest. (NM) It is generally reviewed, at least to the extent that I know, as having a great climate. As with most of the factors mentioned here, it depends on what you like. Four seasons? Okay, but sizzling is four to five months.

I visited here once before the move, which was done out of love. We moved here in August, and I thought I was put in an oven. Maybe a furnace. My health and body reflected my despair more quickly than my mind accepted it.

My first husband and I lived in northern Vermont. I felt vibrant. I spent time in Portland and San Francisco and felt that same snap of being alive. To a lesser, but still positive degree, I felt it in San Diego.

I've written quotes from this thread (to my little notebook, not the computer function but one I keep here by my desktop), just as I did from another one that I saw a couple of weeks ago which I can't get on my screen now but had to do with moving and regret. So, I have the inspirational quotes but did not write who said them.

I am ashamed to admit how long I have, to quote a poster here "some people stay in hell way beyond what they should for fear of trying"...at least that is what I copied.

Someone else wrote about inhospitable climate. That is this, or this is that. For me, to have to plan activities to cope with the heat from at least June-August and the bright which is all year is an exhausting task in itself. I have migraines and the sun just reflects from any surface into my brain.

I am surprised that I have not read every post on every thread on citydata. From my computer's room I at least have put up bird and hummingbird feeders and find solace in that. I mean put up out the window so I can see some life in this parched, dying, brown space. Here I am, I can't sleep and once I finally get to a place where I can be vertical my initiative to do anything depends on how bright that sun is shining, and is it +80 before noon and is it really worth it to try to get out of the house today? I had energy, really I did. What the blinding sun does not suck out of me the winds do.

So, I have plans but they evaporate with the searing sun and so much time goes by.

I applaud those posters here who have found the strength to deal and those who have found the strength to get out.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,847,584 times
The NE doesn't do it for me and I've spent way too much of my life in this area. For the last five years, I've felt a crushing weight living in NJ and I'm glad that we managed a move out of state. I will miss my friends horribly but we had to get out of there. My hubby worked in NYC and grew to loathe that city with every fiber of his being. Even though Texas is getting knocked a bit on this thread, I'm hoping this move will be best for our family.

I think the unhappiest time for me personally was in the Washington, D.C. area. Extremely congested, we made zero friends in the neighborhood...everyone was so transient. Our home was burglarized. My hubby experienced a huge career setback. It was really a depressing time in my life, our marriage, and my general well being. I never felt safe in the D.C. area either and always on edge.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 PM

943 posts, read 852,025 times
Yes, absolutely. Experiencing this now as a matter of fact. All I can do at this point, with my current unemployment, is trying to look to the future, which includes moving out of this town. I am doing everything I can to make it happen, and I will.
I really haven't had a LOT of good luck in my life in general, so maybe I have a negative attitude. One based on the fact that life is a lot of bitter mixed in with some sweet.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,868,617 times
I'd like to add to Sheena's comment, because I believe it is spot on.
If you are having difficulty moving to a state or another location and a series of odd events prevents you from moving there, this could be God or the Universe or whatever you prefer, telling you "NO".

For the past 3 years as I prepared to get out of this hell hole, people have ask me why i'm not moving back to ______ or _____. I usually come up with a bunch of excuses, but the truth is, not only did the universe kick me out of those cities, had I been paying attention, it was trying to tell me not to go to begin with. It seems when you are not supposed to move somewhere, there will be a multitude of signs saying don't do it. Not small stuff either, usually major events or things. This go around in my search to move, I paid attention to those signs. Here's hoping my next move next month is the right move. Right now, all signs say yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or