U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:39 AM

407 posts, read 147,527 times

Advertisements

Yet nothing stopped me from going to my Pluto line.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:28 AM

4,426 posts, read 4,292,113 times
Wow, thanks for bringing back an old thread I missed the first time. Yes, not much has gone right living where I live now. I left Atlanta 6 years ago and have missed it ever since. Where I am now its impossible to meet people, and there's very few singles. I'm like a fish out of water. I can't say its all gone wrong because career is pretty solid. Personal life is a different story altogether.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:39 AM

8,998 posts, read 4,111,791 times
Oklahoma City, where I live now. I've been here for seven years now and I've hated every minute of it. Now there has been some good things I've experienced while living here but overall, I feel like I've been robbed of seven years of my life and it will be eight years by the time I can finally move.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 10 days ago)

9,513 posts, read 3,649,616 times
I think people who hate where they live, would hate the next place they move to, also. The problem is usually within themselves.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:49 AM

4,426 posts, read 4,292,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think people who hate where they live, would hate the next place they move to, also. The problem is usually within themselves.
Totally disagree with you, although there can be other issues in addition to the quality of life where they live.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 AM

3,973 posts, read 1,697,241 times
Quote:
There can be tangible reasons why people hate a place. I hated one place for a variety of reasons, but the two I really disliked were partially due to health reasons. One had northern and southern pollen and a ton of controlled burns and my allergies were just terrible most of the time. It was also a smaller town without many amenities, which did not help. I lived in a big city outside the US for a little while and it got dark insanely early in the winter and was really polluted, so I ended up getting sick all the time there as well- both with seasonal affective issues and just with lots of respiratory ailments. I have lived in lots of other places and didnít dislike them nearly as much as those two places.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:15 AM

18,672 posts, read 23,241,522 times
Quote:
It sometimes is within themselves, but just as frequently it's a bad fit.

Let's face it. It is relatively easy to live where you were planted on this earth. Whether you don't like where you are from because it's expensive to live there, it's boring, or you don't love the weather, odds are you will fit in. At least feel comfortable. To start, you will speak the way the locals do. The food will be familiar. Even if you are different in a particular way, you will fit in.

If your politics happen to be different, you will get a pass. People know you. You are not a dangerous "Left Wing Extremist" or "Right Wing Extremist". You are someone's brother or sister and you're OK - even though you have strange ideas.

Moving can be tricky. Try that different politics thing with a regional accent.

Some places are just more accepting of others and there are places where certain personalities just will not adjust. Sometimes people have to live someplace they don't like because of a job commitment.

It's always easier to stay put. However, I kind of like moving. However, I only left my home area, in all honesty, because we could no longer afford to live there in the way that we were accustomed. We also had to send our kids to college and taxes kept going up. I do miss my friends back in the NY Metro area and I go there at least 4 or 5 times a year and stay a week or two.

One place we moved was not a good fit. The other is. We still may move a third time to Florida. We have family there and friends. Almost everyone is from somewhere else. And, it's God's Waiting Room.

It's also easier to move to a place where there are a lot of transplants. That isn't my opinion. That's been studied.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 AM

18,672 posts, read 23,241,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Yet nothing stopped me from going to my Pluto line.
What is your "Pluto line"?

Old 04-28-2019, 03:11 AM

407 posts, read 147,527 times
sheena12, I am talking about AstroCartoGraphy and AstroClick Travel. But it's so frustrating and complicated. They say I have to move to the Americas or Asia for more luck in life. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Btw, it's weird how for a year abroad I was able to make more friends than in my home city (I left as I also made more open enemies there, it was a bipolar place!). Somehow my friendships with people in my home city don't last or don't even develop. The vibe of the city is nice, but apparently I don't get on well with people here that well. AstroClick Travel says it's on my Jupiter line, must be a fantastic place... but it's not. Hence why I don't trust all these woo woo mumbo jumbo like Astrology.

In every city or town I've been there are some areas where I feel good and some where make me feel uneasy and tense. And that has nothing to do with the place itself or its economy/people -- it can be a commie-era pre-fab buildings 'hood, yet give off good vibes. Or it can be a shiny city center street or luxurious neighborhood that gives me dark and tense vibes. One thing's for sure, the country side usually gives off nice vibes, it must be all that nature!

I want my next move to be to a positive, uplifting place, not meh one like my home city where I like the place itself but can't see eye to eye with people, nor bipolar like that city where I made dozens of friends but also met so many open enemies.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:50 AM

5,684 posts, read 5,933,771 times
Yes. It was a costly mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or