U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:20 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I really dislike when someone makes this pat statement. I've lived places in places that I loved and I've lived in places that I hated. The difference for me in all of these cases was the place. The problem is not always just "themselves" (although it can be). Some people don't thrive in certain places for lots and lots of reasons.
I also dislike it. It comes across as judgmental, and reductionist.

There are so many mitigating factors as to why one place would be a "good fit" and another not.

I don't blame the uprooted person - or the place they moved to. Sometimes it's just a bad match.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:25 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Not sure if I agree with this for me anyway. I was born and grew up in Northern NJ. I never liked it and never felt right there, even as a kid and a teenager. I got out as soon as I possibly could and will never, ever go back. I hated going back even for short visits.
I didn't say a perfect fit, I said probably easier.

I didn't grow up far from you, in western Long Island. For some reason, I always felt "better" in New England.
When it came time to choose a college, I limited my search to New England and wound up in Massachusetts.

I love Western MA, by the way, especially the Pioneer Valley.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,041,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I didn't say a perfect fit, I said probably easier.

I didn't grow up far from you, in western Long Island. For some reason, I always felt "better" in New England.
When it came time to choose a college, I limited my search to New England and wound up in Massachusetts.

I love Western MA, by the way, especially the Pioneer Valley.
I, too, always felt better and more myself in New England. My family had a Summer house on MV and I always breathed a sigh of relief upon arriving.

I went to college in MA and moved to NH from NYC finally about 13-14 years ago. I too now live in the Pioneer Valley now (Northampton)! I just moved here in February, so I am still settling in. But so far I really love it.

While I really loved living in Manhattan, I hated Kew Gardens and N. NJ. Even the years I spent in Manhattan, I knew that I didn't want to live there for forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or