Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM

284 posts, read 498,620 times

Advertisements

Florida. I hated it. I tried several different cities, both coasts, and nothing ever went right while I was there. I will never EVER live in Florida again. If the rest of the country were on fire, I'd jump on a boat and live on that rather than step foot on Florida soil.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:34 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Florida. I hated it. I tried several different cities, both coasts, and nothing ever went right while I was there. I will never EVER live in Florida again. If the rest of the country were on fire, I'd jump on a boat and live on that rather than step foot on Florida soil.

I lived in Central Florida for 4 years. I despised it. It was a rural property, too, which for me was like being in prison, awaiting parole. Ooh, but maybe I was better off w/ the gators than anyone else. We had a lovely place, but I couldn't stand the state.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,608,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I lived in Central Florida for 4 years. I despised it. It was a rural property, too, which for me was like being in prison, awaiting parole. Ooh, but maybe I was better off w/ the gators than anyone else. We had a lovely place, but I couldn't stand the state.

Me too...god knows I've tried...my spouse on the other hand loves it and believes "I should just be thankful I have a job" I cannot better myself here-the economy sucks and no more jobs doing what I do-

Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM

10,308 posts, read 13,840,434 times
I lived in western Montana for a year and that was by far the worst of my life. Within a week after moving there I had my car break down and my cell phone quit. Dealing with the landlords was a nightmare and took the entire summer to rent. It seemed like a curse when I moved to that town. I also can attribute almost all of the problems I had to living there. I made such a low wage I had to take out a loan just to be able to move out. The people there were the most backwards people anywhere I have ever lived and were also some of the most low-life criminals I have ever met. I literally gave that town the finger the day I moved out. I made it to Wyoming and have enjoyed it ever since.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:32 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Me too...god knows I've tried...my spouse on the other hand loves it and believes "I should just be thankful I have a job" I cannot better myself here-the economy sucks and no more jobs doing what I do-
From what I've learned, I would have moved within a year of not liking a place. I've always found it just escalates staying some place I hated--gets worse. My personality is to just put up with it, hold on, till it gets unbearable--then I do leave. Same goes for jobs, working at one that is not going great or downhill, seems to get worse, then you have to go.
I hope you find a solution.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM

9,001 posts, read 10,154,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I think some places resonate w/ a person's self/energy and some don't. Ever went to a city and the "vibe" didn't feel right? Or, opposite, it just "felt right"? Even, like East coast feels different versus West, versus South versus Midwest. That type of thing. And, do people who are like-minded go to the same place? Interesting.
I've been in a place where the "vibes" weren't right. I've been really into the various energy levels of different places, and I noticed whenever I leave where I currently am I feel like a weight has been lifted. Every time. Other states have been so invigorating; just being away from here makes me happy

Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM

131 posts, read 452,880 times
Yes! I live in a place like that right now! It has been one nasty thing after another since we moved here! SOOO bad, DH is about to lose his job! We are stuck here though because we bought, not thinking we would be here too long in 2005 - that was the first crap thing to go wrong! I have had many people tell me its all in the attitude and what you make of a situation....cant seem to get out of the pits here though.....so maybe its not me.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times
Every time I have moved somewhere bad things have happened. Some of them make you think that if you had not moved you would never have encountered such a problem. I think this is part psychological and part how the world works.

When life becomes challenging. You can play the victim and/or woah is me or use it as a learning opportunity and move on in a positive direction. This is often very difficult to do because it always seems like thinks happens in bunches, one after another.

After consistently being beaten down it seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel so your answer is to move to a new town or move back to where you came from. Frequently people move back where they have friends and family and where they feel as though problem do not follow them. Well, frequently some problem do not follow after you move back to a familiar place. Why? Well, because you know what parts of town to avoid, which businesses will treat you right and you have emotional support and physical help with your friends and family that you have a strong bond with. You no longer have to take care of things yourself as you did in your "new" city.

However, if you tromp through these challenges and look at the bright side of any situation (this can be difficult) you will eventually see things begin to get better. Frequently moving to a new town means you are on your own now without a support network. This is difficult and sometime scary.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM

131 posts, read 452,880 times
Thank you FloridaKash! Todays quote..."Whatever we focus on grows" ( I am happy project) so I think this means I will be toughing it out here until things get better!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 PM

113 posts, read 449,237 times
OP here - sorry to hear that so many of us have had difficult times when we've relocated. at the very least i'm hoping we've all learned something from these experiences (even if it's just to stay the hell away from that particular area. )

floridakash - excellent post. i know for me that a major contributor to these failed moves is my lack of support system. i have twice moved all by myself half way across the country where i didn't know anybody (or i did know people, i just wasn't very close to them.) it's taken a lot of time and agony, but through this i've learned just how dear family is to me. i'm not at a point in my life where i can just start from scratch far away from everything that i know - and that's okay. some people love doing that and they thrive on being fiercely independent. for myself i have found that it's too much of a price to pay just for the sake of living in x city, or of feeling like i'm some grand world traveler. travel is fine and all - but no man's an island! i can see why so many people end up gravitating toward loved ones and familiarity - it's home. to forge a new home in a new place with all new things seems to be a herculean task. no wonder moving is one of the most stressful events in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.