Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:24 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,183,073 times

Advertisements

OK, all the sibs have split everything up but my mom had tons of just stuff. Handwritten notes, news articles, pictures, tons of pictures, just lots of stuff.

I am getting to know her more as I go through her things and a lot of this stuff goes back over 50 years.

It is so hard to know what to keep. I have a scanner but every time I start going through her stuff, it becomes so emotional for me I can't continue.

Any hints?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,251,256 times
Bette, it will become easier over time. If in doubt, hang onto it for another day. I know the mindset to clean everything so you can move on but once something is tossed, it can't be reclaimed.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,490,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Handwritten notes, news articles, pictures, tons of pictures
...it becomes so emotional for me I can't continue.
Any hints?
Don't try to do it all at once or even feel you need to.
(Re)packing with glances through it as you go might be enough for now.

Then when you have an afternoon and are inclined...
drag out a box at a time and do the review and cull.
Repeat as needed.

hth

Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,844,254 times
On a parents passing it is normal to keep some things for a while...I look at it as being a healing part of life.

When my wife died some decades ago I kept her clothes, purse, drivers license and many other things in her side of the closet and dresser drawer. Took a while but I eventually removed them...all a healing factor.

Same with my dad passing. Old Passports, drivers license, many papers I did not completly understand or knew about...turned out not very important as with a type of legal situation etc. Still have some things today...over 18 yrs and not sure why.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM

50,005 posts, read 63,335,877 times
What you have is a precious glimse into the past. Just put it aside for now, and maybe your children will be glad to see it some day...or even their children.
My parents had kept a rather clear deck, so there was nothing really personal to clear out. I am the main ancestry person for both my family and my husband's and I would be so happy if I had a way to know some of these people in a more intimate way.
Just put everything in a clearly marked box and pass it to someone who will be a good steward of it.
There are some who care about such things, and some not at all. I have a lot of family dishes, for example, which I am doomed to hang onto because I care about things like imagining who ate from them and what all the conversations were while they were used. Other's just don't care, and that is all right too.
You could scan everything and put it on a disc if you don't want to keep the papers.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,489,919 times
So sorry for your loss. Been there, done that. It is a most difficult thing to do after you lose a loved one.

I suggest you get however many tote boxes you need to hold all the stuff, label them and put them away in storage. One day, when the pain has eased (and it will), you can sit down and go through it when you are less emotional.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,264,324 times
I am so very sorry for your loss. Sorting it all out isn't an easy thing to do. I would go over to my parents house to start sorting, I would open one drawer and then get so emotional that I would have to quit. My advice is to take your time, it's an overwhelming process to say the least. My huband didn't really understand how I felt and kept pressing me to get things done even if it was to throw out stuff. Looking back I wish I hadn't thrown out some things that I did. So don't push yourself too hard is my best advice.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,213,800 times
Sorry for your loss, it is obvious this is very emotional for you. Since I am getting my possessions down to five boxes, it was pretty easy for me, I got rid of everything. I kept two paperwieghts. Going thru the stuff would have been too difficult, and time consuming for me, so I decided to just get rid of it all.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,844,254 times
Since I was getting up in yrs a while back (today am 80) decided on my own to pass out things that I thought was important so that there would be NO bickering amongst my Adult kids etc.

They all had been given something to pass on to the grandkids later on.

All the boys got a diamond solitaire ring along with one grandson since he is the last of the family tree (name)... grandaughters got gold chains with a special stone pendant.

Oldest daughter had the Antique gold earrings from my mother that has been long gone before daughters passing on.

As to my papers...destroyed most but did keep my parents 1908 and 1909 birth certificates along with my own for a picture frame. Nice thought on my part...who knows if it will happen at all.

My home here in Mexico is being left to my Great Grandson age 7 (Dual Citizenship) so there would be NO problems with any transfer of Title (ownership)

Thanx for allowing an old fogey to lament on the coming possibilities.

Steve

Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,183,073 times
Smile Some great ideas....

Steve - 80 is not that old today. My husband has several clients still working - they want to - doing great!!

To All - Thank you - I just felt I wasn't going fast enough. She didn't really have any jewelry; the stuff is more sentimental like her small bible when she was 8 years old and her handwritten notes within it.

She had 2 MBA's - for her day, that was a lot. She also served in the Canadian Army. She talked about how she loved her college years but not to a great extent - she was very independent for her time and I have a daughter who (I think) inherited that spirit.

My mom left her small town in Canada and went to school in Montreal and really never went back. She did her MBA (2nd) at the University of Chicago after the war.

She was a great mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues