U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
I moved cross country eleven years ago after a divorce. I had toddlers so a 3000+ mile road trip wasn't an attractive option, and I didn't have a car of my own anyway. I got rid of almost everything we owned and shipped their toys and my books via UPS. Our clothes fit into several large bags that we took with us when we flew (this was before the days of airline baggage fees). Total cost of move was less than $2000 including airfare.

Hi Nonny: Just curious... did you have any trouble with your ex regarding custody of your children. Did you have to go to court first? I am contemplating a move from VA to CA, but I have a young child and custody issues to deal with. The trip across will probably be easier than all the other stresses. And, I think you're right about flying. Hard to imagine my little one enduring that long trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 AM

738 posts, read 965,835 times
I sold everything but family stuff that couldn't be replaced and drove. Buying all new stuff was fun.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 13,825 times
Also planning a cross country move with the contents of a really full house. I dread calling a moving company on that one. 3/2 packed full of furniture. almost 3000 miles. Any suggestions?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM

26,466 posts, read 62,726,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhuapproved View Post
I'm in favor of the whole getting rid of everything you don't absolutely need, packing as much of what you do need into your car, and having a friend/relative ship whatever's left over once you've arrived at your destination.

I moved from Michigan to the west coast this way...not quite as far, but still quite a drive. The trip itself was excellent (solo-sightseeing!), and getting rid of all of the meaningless junk I owned prior to the move was surprisingly liberating. (Also, a year later, I decided to move to a different apartment across town, and hey! only one car trip! )
Me too. Only I moved with my fiancee and my cockatoo in the car. It was a fun trip we planned fourteen days with lots of sightseeing detours and stpops along the way, plus visiting relatives all over the country. We evnetually got sick of it and arrived 4 days early, but it was a very memroable trip.

You can have stuff shipped out over time, or bring some back with you when you return to visit.

If you have a new or nearly new car - sell it. California will ding you on fees to transfer a newer car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues