U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 AM

521 posts, read 3,930,637 times

Advertisements

It seems rather presumptuous to question the amount the grandparents paid an anonymous moving company to move them using an entire truck that was "longer than a van and shorter than a school bus". That rather vague explanation suggests that the vehicle used was somewhere between 15' and 45' long depending on the type of van and model of school bus used as a reference.

The issue is further complicated because the OP didn't state if the “10-15” miles distance from an unnamed origin to an unnamed destination was a local move within a defined commercial zone (performed, perhaps, under the terms and conditions of a 'regulated' intrastate tariff) in a high rent district, or across connecting state lines using a published interstate tariff.

The post mentions nothing about the overall health of the homeowner and the amount of supervision they provided, access/egress limitations, parking restrictions (or permit expense), or the distance the crew had to travel from the threshold of each residence to where the moving vehicle and equipment had to be parked.

Also notably absent is the amount of moving equipment and professional precaution used by the movers, and the amount of property damage or type of loss sustained during the relocation.

Without knowing whether or not the contents of the furniture being moved had been packed in advance, or seeing a complete inventory list describing the number and size of the boxes, totes, and containers “not moved by the family”, or having the exact weight of the entire load, the specific number of laborers used and the amount of time actually involved in the job, it sorta hard for inexperienced strangers in an open, public forum to accurately access if the value of the service performed was worth the amount of money paid.

If the family thinks the cost was too much, why wasn't someone supervising the movers on their elder's behalf or negotiating with the company before the service was completed?

Would $1300 be too much to move me 15 miles - especially if "someone" in an public chat room said it only cost them $600?

That's the problem of using the internet to shop for a reputable mover.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 AM

415 posts, read 2,156,374 times
RikkiTikki and Myself are both in Sales in the moving business for National carriers, While I don't personally know RikkiTikki, I do know the information that is provided is pretty accurate and objective.
I myself have been in the moving business since 1978, there is very little I have not seen happen. One thing I have found is those that are trying to see how cheap they can move, usually end up with a cheap move and numerous complaints. They pay very little for unqualified help, and the wonder why they had so many problems.
I feel what a person that needs to move, should be looking for is a quality mover at a reasonable cost, not the cheapest cost they can find. There is ALWAYS a company who will give you a CHEAP price and CHEAP service.
Protect yourself and know who you are doing business with.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 AM

10,810 posts, read 14,783,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkiktd View Post
Earlier this year in February, I moved 20 miles. I live in Orange County, CA if you want to compare cost of living/prices.

The apartment I was moving out of had 3 floors (tight stairwell) with 2 bedrooms. The one car garage was full of furniture. I have all my own appliances. The living room was also full of furniture. The bedrooms had furniture in each, as well as boxes of books, clothing, video games, bedding, etc.

Here's a rough list of what we had:

2 Refrigerators
1 Washer
1 Dryer
1 Stove
1 Microwave (mounts above stove)
1 gigantic sofa (L-shaped and huge, doesn't fit in most living rooms)
1 modular sofa
2 mattresses
2 bed frames
1 dresser
3 nightstands
2 large L-shaped desks, plus the legs and frames
2 office chairs
1 dining table that seats 8 without leafs
8 dining table chairs
2 large leafs for the dining table
1 smaller table that seats 6
1 leaf for the smaller table
4 chairs for the smaller table
2 seven foot bookshelves
2 four foot bookshelves
2 plasma TVs
1 plasma TV stand
1 standing lamp
1 Cat tree
About 75 boxes of house goods, clothes, and other misc things

I had four movers and two trucks. Originally I reserved 2 movers and 1 truck. I told them to bring an extra large truck when I reserved them, and when they showed up I told them that they brought too small of a truck. They took a walk around the house and called into their boss to let him know they needed a bigger truck. The boss called me and said he'd provide a second truck at no extra cost, and if I wanted would provide two extra guys at half price for each (would get the move done faster too).

In the end for 20 miles, all the stuff above (I probably missed a few things, but you get the jist of it), I paid $750. I gave them a tip on top of that, but my move was way cheaper than your grandmother's for slightly further away and way more stuff.

Unless you're living somewhere that's more expensive than Orange County, it does look like you were overcharged.
You got a GOOD deal.
stairs, 6 dozen boxes, 2 refrigerators, etc.
The customer may not realize how the stairs can affect the amount of time to do the job.

The OP should have gotten a price around what you did.

The OP never stated whether they had any stairs.
I would not have charged the OP, even $750, if they were a lower level apartment or house, and they already had all beds taken apart, dresser drawers empty, etc. I did alot of local moves and I do not remember one being near $750.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,608,809 times
I had two guys moved 2 bed apartment furniture (complete) + a lot (2 sofas, dining table, additional king size mattress etc that I bought for new house I was moving in to) 25 miles away for $450. Two guys for 4.5h with 18ft truck. I live in MD and my apt was on 3rd floor.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,947,614 times
Wow!!!
We had Mayflower move us once across a few states (VA to CT) and it cost us like $2600 and a car is included in the haul. I did nothing, they packed everything.

So yes, I do think $1300 is too much for a local move for a truck smaller than a school bus... ours was for a full size 18 wheeler.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:16 AM

950 posts, read 711,215 times
My new wife just moved most of her furniture/possessions to a storage unit 8 miles away.

many boxes !

All the boxing was already done

Two young guys came with a big enclosed truck. About 3.5 hours

Total bill............$380
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues