U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:06 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,044,384 times

Advertisements

Do you consider moving stressful?

Not really, I've had a lot of practice, my family moved six times before I made it into seventh grade, Dupont Brat spoken here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,738,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I was talking to my SO last night and telling him how stressed out I am. He thinks I stress too easily. But here is the deal: we are moving mid December. 5 days after we get to our new home is Christmas... and since we are doing relocubes the eta for my belongings is December 23rd. He was wanting to talk about Christmas last night. I told him I didn't even want to think about Christmas.

I still have to get boxes, tape, a lock for the cube, things to tie my crap down, tranqs for my cat, etc. Then I have to box all my stuff up and I was planning on deep cleaning my apt, top to bottom. I have some people lined up to take the furniture I don't want anymore. Oh, and I have to work. And work sucks, especially since I work in credit cards and crazy shopping season is coming up. I am seriously considering quitting my job a week earlier so I have time to focus on the move.

Is it just me that I feel overwhelmed about moving? Do most people feel this way when they move, especially from one state to another? In the past when I moved, I just did it. I really didn't think twice, but for some reason this is different. My SO tells me not to worry because he is going to do all the loading, unloading, driving, and "everything will be ok in the end" but the process and thinking of it all is driving me crazy.
You're stressing out. You just toss your stuff in some boxes, load it into a truck, drive to your new house, toss the stuff outta your boxes, and voila.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,344,711 times
I HATE moving.

My family and I lived in 13 different places and moved 13 times in my 19 year life. All in the same state. When I finish college I plan to stay where I am since the opportunities of my career field are plentiful and prosperous. Luckily I live in an area where there is a mix of everything and much to do. In 2 hrs I could be skiing, going to the beach, in another major city or be in another state. Moving is stressful, time-consuming, $$$ and downright annoying. As you can probably tell I have moved a lot in my youth and would rather not move at all. Maybe moving to my own place or when I start a family in life, I would do so but moving to an entirely different area is tiring. If I wanted to "hop around" places, I would rather visit. I've had enough moving and would want my kids to never live the same way I did moving around when I was a kid.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,140,539 times
OF COURSE moving is stressful. It's normal to feel stressed out, and completely exhausted (due to all the extra work involved), too. I have moved dozens of times and it is always stressful. Tears come easily and usually just before the scheduled move date I feel scared and for no reason, have second thoughts about the wisdom of moving. After the move my stress goes away.

Now, if you move, settle down, get everything put away, learn to find your way around town, make a few friends there, and STILL feel stressed out, that might be a little less normal.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,459,684 times
Moving becomes more annoying as I get older, I find.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:32 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
My life has been about staying in the same place for LONG periods of time, then moving several or more times quickly, then growing moss again. The one year I moved three times was the worse. This last move is intended to be the LAST one. So of course, it was literally halfway across the country, from socalsuburaneverywhere to a small town in Ok.

I did lots of planning and research on how to move cheapest and lucked out on that, with a relatives friend loaning their horse trailer and truck. But my apartment was TINY and I couldn't pack more than half before it was removed the day we loaded the truck. Half got packed well, the rest was tossed in quickly.

Advise is look at your stuff. What do you most want to get there in one piece? Do it first. Pack for weight, not content. If you can't lift it, its too heavy. If you can take that week off early do so. Pack by priority of care and when the enivitable moment when your not done and its time to load comes, all the stuff that has to be packed firmly is.

Take a survival suitcase. My neice, when they moved to NY from California, didn't get their furnature, or the kids beds, or toys or books, etc for almost two months as the truck got stuck in Texas. Most delays are not that long, but expect them.

And set a goal per day. Say five boxes if you have time. Do priority. Have a pile of stuff in the kitched which is going but can't be packed until you leave and keep it together. You won't necessarily finish before the rush, but you've done something.

And with the trip? Make it an adventure. Take lots of pictures. You're opening up a whole new time of your life, be it a new place or a new relationship. Close out the one and be open for the next. You'll find its much easier if you see the light at the end of the tunnel, not just the tunnel.

The good thing with your SO is that as he is more staying put with his job, you likely won't have to be doing it again too soon.

Moving to something entirely new, though very stressful in the process, has been the best thing I ever did for myself.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,772,651 times
Whenever I have to move, I'm mentally "on the edge" for about a month before the move. I can still carry on my life normally but I cannot relax as much, cannot concentrate as deeply, cannot take my mind off of the upcoming move for an extended period of time, etc. Anyone else feel this way as well?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,761,232 times
Oh yeah. Most times you can regulate your schedule with the work to be done, but last time since other people were involved, and I helped someone move and then I moved I was not only not ready to move but I was tired of the act of moving. The long-term payoff (change of scenery) is worth it though usually.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM

662 posts, read 1,226,040 times
Default Don't be hard on yourself

Moving is one of the top five stress inducing situations in life--right behind death of a loved one, divorce and job loss.

Moving within a city isn't as stressful because you still have your support network of friends and family. When you have to move to another state, not only do you deal with the headache of physically packing, unpacking, finding a house, etc, but your support system isn't there.

Furthermore, once you are in the new city you must google map everything and try to figure out how to get places. You have to be friendly all the time if you want to make friends. You don't have friends to go to lunch with or to have over for a glass of wine. You spend your day unpacking and organizing and cleaning. I think it's hellish.

I just moved in June of 2010 and had to move again to another city and state a couple of months ago. This place still doesn't feel like home.

I have had to move other times in my life. I even lived abroad for seven years, but I agree with earlier posters who said it's harder the older you get.

Good luck with your move. Remember, even if you don't pack everything perfectly, you will somehow get all your stuff to your new place. You have a young love and new adventure and that means a lot.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,229,900 times
Moving 2400 miles from Kentucky to California was extremely stressful, until the move was actually underway. Then it was just a long, 2400 mile drive that actually wasn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or