U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM

420 posts, read 543,176 times

Advertisements

I just finished my last day of work. It has hit me real hard as I met wonderful people and made lasting friendships at that job. My boyfriend is coming next week and then the move. Still stressed, but now I am more scared. Last night my boyfriend finished moving his things into our new apartment. He gave me a "tour" of the place on skype. I am excited but terrified at the same time. I have been fighting tears all day today, but I still feel I am ready for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,602,776 times
Let the tears roll - they can be healing as well as a great stress reliever!!!! You are probably both mentally and physically exhausted at this point. Who said there is nothing to fear but fear itself?? There are a lot of things in life that will shake you to your core and this is one of them. You will still have a network of work friends from your old job and eventually you will meet new friends in your new area - things will fall into place and eventually you will be at peace. Try and carve out some "me" time every day, pamper yourself a bit, and try and keep an open mind and a smile on your face. You have come a long way since your first post, and I have faith that you will conquer this as well. I wish you luck on your move, peace in your heart, and a wonderful and happy holiday season...

Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 AM

3,047 posts, read 6,562,700 times
I have moved many times in the last 5 years especially. I am basically always on the move and to a few different states. I thought I read somewhere moving is on the top few list of most stressful. That death and divorce.
I do feel in general some people get stressed or anxious more then others. I am one of those people. I worry about the what if's and unknown so trying to stay in the moment as much as possible is helpful. On some of my moves it has shown me what I can do on my own or accomplish if I have to. Also makes me try new things so I can meet people etc.
You have alot of new things ahead and changes. I think all the feelings you have are normal. When you get to your new location there will be some days of feeling homesick etc but give it time. They say it takes at least 6 months. Try to find ways to meet people as that can help make it feel more like home. A positive for you is that you have a place already. I have had to find a place in short time frame and that is hard.
I'm sorry that your friends are not being supportive. That puts more ? into the already. Glad your bf is being supportive though. It is ok to cry and like the other stated it can help.
I encourage you to talk about how you feel,reach out for support even when you get there, ask for help if need it.
Good luck and I hope things go smooth

Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 PM

7,676 posts, read 8,974,848 times
Moving is an adventure. It is stressful initially, but think of it as an adventure and enjoy the ride.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 AM

124 posts, read 193,610 times
^ I agree!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 AM

44 posts, read 70,735 times
I think that when you have planned properly about everything before movingthen it is not a stressful or difficult task.Everything is done smoothly.But I will also say that long distance moving is stressful than local ones if we have planned also..

Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM

128 posts, read 191,824 times
Default Stressed!

I am moving on dec 26th! i basically cancelled christmas except for dinner..my car got wrecked and it is in repair shop, they are telling me it might not be ready til 12/28!!!! we are driving 1000 miles, over three dangerous potentially snowy passes...i am leaving a great job and dont know if i can find one where we are moving to...(my hub got a job transfer so that is why we are moving)

we have no place to live at our destination as we dont want to rent sight unseen. his car has a bazillion miles on it, it will probably break down but he refuses to just ditch it and both ride in mine (the one that is probably not even going to be done by then!!!) we have two dogs on this long trip...hmmm am i leaving anything out??? oh ya i need to have a quick meltdown!!!

prolly no one will read this its an old post but just had to vent

Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 AM

18,853 posts, read 31,638,195 times
It will all work out. A few months from now, you will be relaxing, wondering how you managed the whole mess.

My last move, I was SO stressed. Had ZIP money! I mean, NOTHING. I have NO clue how it all worked out. It was incredible...but it all did...and Jasper and I are perfectly settled in our new place. Before I left, I had my car checked out...and discovered it needed all new hoses, and a bunch of other stuff...so, go on a 2500 mile car trip without the stuff, or fix the car? Well, I fixed the car, and blew $1500 of money I did not have...that was my cash for the trip, and to get settled...it was crazy how someone up above must have been looking out for me...really.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM

420 posts, read 543,176 times
Default update

Well, the big move has come and gone! I had several concerns with the move, not only the stress of it all, but also moving my cat :

Moving with Miss Kitty

After my boyfriend flew in on December 10th it was initially kind of bad. It was like a serious exercise in procrastination. We were not leaving until the 19th so everyday was "we have plenty of time! Take care of it tomorrow!!" When it finally got down to the wire we went into hyper mode but the damage was done: we didn't leave until the 22nd.

We were moving our stuff with ABF and although there were some very tiny hiccups that was probably the smoothest thing about our move. They brought the pod, we packed it up, they took it the day we requested. Honestly did not even realize it was gone until I looked out the window and saw it was not there.

We had gone to the doctor and gotten my cat some kitty tranquilizers which we were told would "not put her to sleep, just take the edge off". That was very accurate. She did not sleep once the entire 10 hours, at least not at any point that we noticed. Whenever we turned around she was wide awake, and when we said her name she meowed. We did not bother taking her out of the cage until we got to Ohio. Per doctor's orders we had stopped feeding her several hours in advance.

Once we got to Ohio we unloaded the car and this is where the ABF hiccup happened. It was VERY minor, but I could see where it may have made someone uptight:

Several weeks prior to the move a rep told me if I wanted my things by Monday (which is the day after Xmas) I would have to call on Friday and schedule it. I did as I was told, called on Friday. The gentleman said no, that they could not deliver on Monday. I asked is it because it will be so busy? He said, No actually we will be very slow, but we will only have two drivers.

I then told him what the rep had previously told me. It was only after I explained that that he agreed to drop my things off on Monday and we made an appt. He then transferred me to someone else for billing, and while talking to the woman she said "There is no way you will get your belongings on Monday. We're closed." I said "I thought only the office is closed?" she responded "Yes, only the office is closed but you still won't get delivery on Monday."

I wanted to ask "Well, what appt did I just make then?" but decided not to pursue it. I preferred my belongings come on Monday, but Tuesday would have been fine as well. In the end, my stuff came on time on Monday. And in all honesty I do not believe there would have been any confusion had it not been right after Xmas.

Due to the holidays we have had to travel a lot back and forth from his home state of Michigan to Ohio, but we have gotten a lot done! All boxes our unpacked, all rooms are set up, all that is left to put together the dinette table.

The area we live in is so lovely! It is quiet and everyone has been soooo friendly!! He is in grad school, and I am just now starting to look for a job. I am confident, though, because everyone I have spoken with has said "if you can't find a job in Columbus that means you don't want to work." I went to the UPS store and the woman there wrote me a list of companies that are currently hiring.

I wanted to thank everyone for their well wishes and advice. I was so keyed up over the move, and it was reading these forums that helped me through it all. Thank you so much, and sorry for such a long update!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the move cost us right about what we expected, a little over $1000. ABF took up the chunk of that, the rest was gas and some misc. things we needed. We are pretty low maintenance and generally neither of us in a given month put more than $200 on our credit card so it was a shock for us seeing it so high. Moving is so expensive!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,638,195 times
Glad it went well for you. Best wishes in your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or