U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 PM

420 posts, read 547,935 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my SO last night and telling him how stressed out I am. He thinks I stress too easily. But here is the deal: we are moving mid December. 5 days after we get to our new home is Christmas... and since we are doing relocubes the eta for my belongings is December 23rd. He was wanting to talk about Christmas last night. I told him I didn't even want to think about Christmas.

I still have to get boxes, tape, a lock for the cube, things to tie my crap down, tranqs for my cat, etc. Then I have to box all my stuff up and I was planning on deep cleaning my apt, top to bottom. I have some people lined up to take the furniture I don't want anymore. Oh, and I have to work. And work sucks, especially since I work in credit cards and crazy shopping season is coming up. I am seriously considering quitting my job a week earlier so I have time to focus on the move.

Is it just me that I feel overwhelmed about moving? Do most people feel this way when they move, especially from one state to another? In the past when I moved, I just did it. I really didn't think twice, but for some reason this is different. My SO tells me not to worry because he is going to do all the loading, unloading, driving, and "everything will be ok in the end" but the process and thinking of it all is driving me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:16 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,783,040 times
Yes, the whole thing is overwhelming. I usually feel so paralyzed by the task, that I procrastinate, then, in two days do everything. And I have to decompress for about two months after the move.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 PM

284 posts, read 422,021 times
Moving affects people differently. I've moved over 20 times in the past two decades -- ten of those from one state to another -- and don't find it stressful at all. But some people find moving from one apartment to another within the same complex to be completely nerve racking.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,626,505 times
I think it is one of the MOST stressful things you will ever do. If you can afford to do so I would consider quitting the job even sooner so you will have time to accomplish all the things on your list. As if the Christmas season isn't stressful enough in itself - sit down and start a list of all the things you need to do. I find it easier myself to do the worst tasks first and get them over with, then it isn't so bad. I find men in particular kind of rely on us gals to do the "worst" of it, and let them do the physical moving stuff. Part of the bad stuff is the planning, packing, cleaning, etc. not just the physical part of moving. I noted that you refer to your SO (significant other?) are you worried about a major move in terms of him not being around for the long haul? That in itself would be stressful to me...is he gonna be around long term after you rearrange your life in a new area???

Old 11-05-2011, 01:36 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,880,577 times
It's stressful, but more stressful to stay in a place you don't like or hate!

Old 11-05-2011, 02:24 PM

420 posts, read 547,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I think it is one of the MOST stressful things you will ever do. If you can afford to do so I would consider quitting the job even sooner so you will have time to accomplish all the things on your list. As if the Christmas season isn't stressful enough in itself - sit down and start a list of all the things you need to do. I find it easier myself to do the worst tasks first and get them over with, then it isn't so bad.... Part of the bad stuff is the planning, packing, cleaning, etc. not just the physical part of moving. I noted that you refer to your SO (significant other?) are you worried about a major move in terms of him not being around for the long haul? That in itself would be stressful to me...is he gonna be around long term after you rearrange your life in a new area???
Well, I think that is part of the stress. I am moving in with him in Ohio (I am currently in Missouri). My Significant Other is in a PhD program, so he is not as flexible to move, I've known for a while that if we were going to be together it would be me moving. We have been together for 2 years but never lived together.

So yes, it is the move, the stress of it all, the job thing, XMas, and the relationship going to a whole new level of commitment that is overwhelming me.

SO is flying in on my birthday (December 10) and we will be leaving December 19. I have some loose ends I have to tie up before that prevents us leaving earlier. I was going to quit December 16, but am now considering the 9th. That would give me plenty of time to clean, pack, organize.

Quote:
I find men in particular kind of rely on us gals to do the "worst" of it, and let them do the physical moving stuff.
Indeed! He has often fallen back on "it's ok, I'm the one driving and moving the boxes" and because of that I should not be stressed. I'm much more keyed up person than him to begin with... this move is a major life changing event for both of us, but he is so much more relaxed about it than me.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:38 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,072,429 times
The act of moving and the costs associated with moving are stressful, but once you get settled in, it becomes an adventure.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:03 PM

3,190 posts, read 7,087,310 times
Leaving your job a week early will be very helpful. I'm a very organized mover, but I need at least a week of no other commitments to pull it all together.

Make list of everything that needs to be done. I find that I don't get overwhelmed when I can see what still needs to be taken care of and what has been accomplished.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:21 PM

521 posts, read 3,951,156 times
If you're doing ReloCubes, you might want to pack a few extra things to tide you over in the event of a delay.

These types of DIY mobile/portable containers are shipped via the same ABF freight transportation and cross-dock distribution networks as the rest of their general freight. Most nationwide common and contract carriers experience a spike in delays during the holidays because so many of their over-the-road drivers want to spend the time at home with their families.

That will be especially true with Christmas falling on the weekend this year. Many drivers and warehouse workers will probably make it a four day holiday.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 PM

6,138 posts, read 9,114,129 times
The older you get, the worse it is. Its bad enough to drive you to drink !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or