Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 PM

34 posts, read 61,723 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I am looking for good solid advice on where I could possibly relocate in this crappy economy... I am 30 yrs old and I am currently an administrative manager at a really great company in FL. Even though I like my job I really dislike the weather here. I am originally from California and I have lived in CO and NM. All great places and I love and miss the climate out West.

Here is what I am looking for -

Artsy town preferably somewhere out West where I could get around without a car (I like to walk or ride a bike) even in Winter. I am a fine artist on the side (not professionally yet), so I am looking for a place to get going with that. I do not want to pay more than $600 a month on a 1 bedroom apartment and of course this town must have good paying jobs available.

I know a bunch of you are probably laughing at me right now and thinking I am delusional for even asking if such a place exists. I am thinking this myself right now... But, seriously any info is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,774,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckNFlorida View Post
Hey there! I am looking for good solid advice on where I could possibly relocate in this crappy economy... I am 30 yrs old and I am currently an administrative manager at a really great company in FL. Even though I like my job I really dislike the weather here. I am originally from California and I have lived in CO and NM. All great places and I love and miss the climate out West.

Here is what I am looking for -

Artsy town preferably somewhere out West where I could get around without a car (I like to walk or ride a bike) even in Winter. I am a fine artist on the side (not professionally yet), so I am looking for a place to get going with that. I do not want to pay more than $600 a month on a 1 bedroom apartment and of course this town must have good paying jobs available.

I know a bunch of you are probably laughing at me right now and thinking I am delusional for even asking if such a place exists. I am thinking this myself right now... But, seriously any info is welcome.
I'll trade ya lol.

All kidding aside, you might like Denver, where I live. The cost of living is mostly reasonable and wages are all right (though at this point you may want to try to find work before you were to move here given the economy). Boulder, Fort Collins or Colorado Springs are probably also decent places to look but it may be harder to travel out of state from these locations if you don't drive. Also the cost of living is higher in Boulder than these other places. If you do decide to choose Colorado, make sure you put potential addresses into Google for the Bedbug Registry given the rather bad bedbug problem plaguing Denver in particular. Hope this helps!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Lol! If you like heat with 90-100% for six months out of the year then come on down!

Colorado is very nice. I lived in Colorado Springs for a short time when I was a kid and I loved it. I've heard that the job market is not so good though like you said... I am definitely keeping it in mind though. Especially since there is an Art Students League in Denver, which is really cool.

Hope the bedbug thing gets handled soon!

Thanks Osito!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM

I meant 90-100% humidity by the way. Lol.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,563,266 times
Albuquerque? Austin? Not sure without a car though. West and car go together like a duck and pond.
Maybe get out the map and try to cancel out places you definitely don't want, places that are maybe's and places that are strong possibilities and work it from there.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM

605 posts, read 700,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
West and car go together like a duck and pond.
So true!!! It will be extremely hard to find a place that you can get around on a bike or on foot - as it would indicate more of a downtown-environment - which also means, more expensive in most cases. It won't really fit with your budget unless you were willing to compromise - for example, renting just a room, as opposed to your own apartment/studio.

Good luck on your search! There are already some great suggestions posted above.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,071,647 times
I dunno...just throwing an idea out there. How about Asheville, NC?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 PM

Haha! Thanks everyone. Yeah Asheville seems pretty cool. I just miss living in a dry climate. A downtown area is what I am looking for, not in a huge city. The search is still on for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues