U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 AM

131 posts, read 364,841 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! We (DH and I, plus our 3 little girls) are moving in 41 days (yippee!) from MA to CT. We are moving into MILs house (contractors are busy making an in-law apartment out of her old sewing business room).

I have questions about switching everything over. MIL already has a phone/cable/ internet bundle but is not happy with it, so we are going to switch it to a different company. Plus DH and I have to get different car insurance, etc. When should we start doing all of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 AM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
When should we start doing all of this?
After the new year?
Don't be in any hurry to change or do anything more than to unpack and put away and clean...
allow yourselves time to catch your breath, get settled into the place and and used to the routines.

You can always pay the house bills even if they're still in MIL's name.
And unless you're buying the house... it might be better to *never* change them.

As to your car registration and drivers licenses (and insurance too)...
most states have a 30 day requirement. Check the CT DMV.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 AM

131 posts, read 364,841 times
My 2 oldest girls are in school. The school wants proof of residency and the name of their dr, dentist. I am also transferring to a college in CT and I'm sure they'll want proof of residency as well. I would love to just take my time, but I think I need to have these things done soon-ish.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 AM

113 posts, read 398,279 times
you could call your intended phone/cable/internet company now and tell them when and where you're moving -it might be a little soonish at the moment, but 1-2 weeks ahead of moving is typical. that way you could even schedule a convenient appointment time if you need it, or maybe see if your MIL can be there if they need to come by to set anything up. they deal with this all the time. i was moving out of a place and my internet company called me because the upcoming tenant had already notified them when she'd be moving in; you can also call your current company to cancel service a few days before you move.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,222,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
My 2 oldest girls are in school. The school wants proof of residency and the name of their dr, dentist. I am also transferring to a college in CT and I'm sure they'll want proof of residency as well. I would love to just take my time, but I think I need to have these things done soon-ish.
Then why not switch the cable service now - and get it in your name as soon as possible? We had to wait three weeks for an appointment, so if you need proof of residency soon, I'd start on getting that service switched now!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 AM

16,720 posts, read 25,695,396 times
If you aren't buying the house and you need proof of residency, you're going to need utility bills in your name. I'd take care of that ASAP. Then when you get your first bills you can get your license. Contact a pediatrician in the area that you think you want to use and ask them to put your info in the system (if they won't do it till you make an appointment, ask how far out can you book an appointment .... then you'll be in the system and if you don't need physicals right now you can break the appointments in the future).
The school probably has provisions for people who are living with relatives, I know they do here where I live. Call the school and explain your situation and ask them what you can give them to get the kids registered. Of course, if you get the utility bills in your name now that will help a lot.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 PM

701 posts, read 1,526,333 times
Residency for colleges is often one full year from the date you get your driver's license changed. You may want to check with your college on this.

Are you moving in to take care of your MIL? If so, you may want to have a written agreement between the three of you. I am on a forum that discusses issues with caring for parents. One huge can of worms is moving in together. As the years pass, the parent(s) need more assistance. What's the plan when/if it becomes overwhelming? Whose responsible for home maintenance?

I think generations living together makes a lot of sense for all sorts of reasons. Just is helpful to go into with everyone on the same page.

Good luck on your adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues