U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM

1,928 posts, read 2,436,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondrop123 View Post
We are moving in March, I am going to have the baby in PA, I cant take the stress. My husband and parents arent speaking, my parents are so unhappy about it, they say i am being brainwashed by my husband. They wonder why i would want to move away from everyone, they say they wont come visit because my husband doesnt talk to them. They dont ask about me moving or what all i have planned for my new house, what kind of area is it, nothing. I love my parents but i really just want to tell them to go sit in time out and when you have gotten all this out of your system, call me.
Good for you! I really think you are making the right decision for yourself. I wish you the best of luck with your move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM

208 posts, read 305,350 times
I say go!! I'm 45 and am still being manipulated by my parents and I'm so very over it. I would have left years ago, but am dealing with a spouse being difficult over it. My stress level is through the roof!!

Edited to add: Just saw you are going, good for you!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM

275 posts, read 165,939 times
You're 32; time to grow up. If you're receptive to counseling, find a counselor that's effective and has reasonable appointment availability. If you're not, work hard, read/talk lots, and good luck.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,794,120 times
Welcome to PA! Where did you end up deciding to settle?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM

25 posts, read 19,578 times
Give them time, in the end they will be fine with the move. My son moved five plus hours away a few years ago. I was very sad, for various reasons I won't go into. Huge life change for my husband and I occurred around this time as well. However, looking back, I can now say I'm glad he moved away. I'm me again, not just his mother. I catered to my son too much and he took it for granted how much attention, support and money he received from me/us.

Now, he visits and expects me to do everything for him as I used to. It's funny...he still wants me to cook, do his laundry, take care of his dog...give him financial advice, career support...etc. I tell him, that I'm sure he'll figure it all out...he doesn't need my input anymore. He get's offended...guess he didn't expect mama to change too.

So...there are two sides here. Parents will fight against it, but eventually, they may revel in the freedom and find joy in finding themselves and their own hopes again once the offspring leave and move away. It's nice to not have to be responsible for anyone else anymore, just myself, husband and our dog. Life is Good...and there is so much left for just us to do and experience.

So, really, go ahead, enjoy your own life, they will adjust...

Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM

41,648 posts, read 44,930,403 times
Everyone that moves away has to do so at sometime and parents often take it abdly. I wouldn't stree about it tho as you will habve enough stress once to start to actually prepare for the move.One of the nice things about going into army or off to colege when younger. They and you get use to it for later years.Quite different when older and you yourself never lived anyhwere else. Easier to adjust when i your 20's really.Good Luck

Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,513,285 times
I say talk to the hand because the hand ain't talking

Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM

297 posts, read 338,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondrop123 View Post
We are moving in March, I am going to have the baby in PA, I cant take the stress. My husband and parents arent speaking, my parents are so unhappy about it, they say i am being brainwashed by my husband. They wonder why i would want to move away from everyone, they say they wont come visit because my husband doesnt talk to them. They dont ask about me moving or what all i have planned for my new house, what kind of area is it, nothing. I love my parents but i really just want to tell them to go sit in time out and when you have gotten all this out of your system, call me.

I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues