Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM

68 posts, read 225,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I think it's interesting that the original premise was that everyone would of course want to live on a tropical island - but would you be willing to give up everything you care about in life, to achieve that? But in reality, based on the responses so far, only one person out of seven said they would love to, but they're too responsible to leave everything behind. The other six? They don't want to live on a tropical island under any circumstances.

It just goes to show that everyone has a different idea of paradise...

And count me in with the contingent that loves visiting places like that, but doesn't want to live there. It's definitely paradise, but it's not the only kind of paradise on earth!
I think the premise should have actually been the question... simply, "Would you want to permanently live on a tropical island like this?" The responses are more interesting than one might think. Surprising to many how few would take it.

Like you said, a tropical island isn't for everybody. Personally, I don't care much for the ocean or beach at all. Here in NC, I theorize that there are "Beach people" and "Mountain people". I am more of a "Small town America" person.

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
No. I would like to visit but I prefer to live in a city with amenities.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Kinda depends on your idea of "paradise" doesn't it?

Would there be servants bringing mai tais at all hours, pit-roast pig for dinner with all of the trimmings - and who would cook it or clean up after? Or would I have to take up a machete and go chopping thru the woods (and snakes, and other things) and get it myself? That sort of foreshortens the 'paradise' ideal...

I grew up on a beach, so I loathe beaches. Dirty, sandy, gritty; usually windy even in the warmest weather, and sand in everything - from the drinks to the chocolate cake. Humid, like breathing underwater - and clinging like endless dew to everything from your clothes to your bedsheets. Mold and mildew everywhere. Wood rots, metal rusts, and nothing -ever! - is clean. Not to mention all of that warm humidity draws bugs - creepy-crawlies as well as bite-y stingies. Pictures are pretty, but reality stinks.

My idea of paradise is endless rolling hills, dry clean air, snow in the winter, grass in the summer, a horse to ride, a garden to tend, a woodburning stove in the blizzards, a cool trough to plunge into in the summer, cold tumbling rivers and still silent lakes full of amenable fish, even under the ice. Surrounded by my cats and dogs, cows and chickens, and nary a sound otherwise - not a plane, not a truck, not a single car for hours.
And I didn't have to give up a single thing to get it all!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
I would drop and leave everything and move there if I could bring my kids and I guess my husband. He will be the one building us our huts of course, and good at making other things.

I love island living, and love my kids, so sign me up!!

I wouldn't bring much else except a bathing suit, a towel, a hat and a sleeping bag! AND a diving spear to catch dinner!!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I made a horrible error in working at a resort on an island in FL (Captiva) during the summer of 1969. I've detested island life eversince!

It left such a bad taste in my mouth, that when I went to Greece, in the early 90's, I only traveled the mainland, skipped the Greek islands completely! I've even got nervous being on the Hawaiian islands.

I was in the Fiji islands, one time, on a 2-day stop en route to New Zealand, where a Cyclone had just gone thru, blowing every leaf off the tree, debris up and down the coastline. No thanks!

Being on an island is like being in an open-air prison, and, at one time, islands were a great location for real prisons. Great idea!

Last edited by tijlover; 11-23-2011 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
It just goes to show that everyone has a different idea of paradise...

And count me in with the contingent that loves visiting places like that, but doesn't want to live there. It's definitely paradise, but it's not the only kind of paradise on earth!
+1

I think the bugs would be enough to get me to turn that offer down. I hate cockroaches but they are a fact of life in most subtropical/tropical areas. I remember my parents had to have the house sprayed constantly for the little jerks when we lived in extreme southern Alabama. No matter how clean the house was, they would still get in and make snacks for the dog (ewww).

I already live in my own paradise.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 AM

113 posts, read 450,043 times
no, because there is no dunkin donuts or starbucks.

on a serious note, i think i'd go crazy from loneliness, boredom, and isolation.

in my place of living, i need loved ones, things to do, a lot of trees, four seasons, and room to travel. and many kinds of coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues