U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM

670 posts, read 1,066,219 times

Advertisements

I totally agree that there is a "vibe" and I think for me it boils down to the city energy that I felt living near D.C that I miss. On the otherhand, I agree with other posters that people in the south are friendly for the most part. No complaints there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
met alot of religious hypocrites here in the south(georgia). nothin worse than working in a restaurant on a sunday! lived here for over 20 years. moved from jersey and miss it every day. people are pretty much the same no matter where one goes. theres a certain "vibe" and old comfy feeling about the north. hard to understand and describe the feeling. kinda miss the blunt honesty i experience when i visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,266,881 times
Not once did I say everyone is the same wherever they are from. Hardly. Having lived in several areas I have found some people - very generally - to be nicer than others.

I get a kick how someone gets something as third hand and it is suddenly gospel. Just because a couple of ladies are nice to you, a Northerner, doesn't mean their demeanor is going to be the same to someone they find to be beneath them. But maybe not. Maybe they are the sort that gives everyone a chance, much like me. Maybe it was their circumstances. It could be that they had isolated incidents, didn't give it enough time, a million different little things. But until you've experienced something first-hand, quite frankly you don't really KNOW.

To the person that said Knoxville doesn't respect bicyclists, my how things have changed.

Knoxville Regional Transportation Planning Organization

Knoxvile Bicycle Guide Information & News from Metro Pulse (Knoxville, TN)

Bike Knoxville: Local bicyclist attempting to set world records

In fact, UT just recently started the nation's first e-bike sharing system.

UT Launches Nation’s First Fully Automated E-bike Sharing System | Tennessee Today

Knoxville has drastically changed since I first moved here six years ago, and its biggest changes have happened only in the last couple of years. If you come visit I promise you will be shocked.

Schools here are great, in fact. I have adult children that attended public school in Mass and Conn. My youngest started school in Florida and we traveled here to put her in Knoxville schools. I was a newspaper reporter for many years and have been in many, many school systems. Knoxville is fantastic and far surpasses the schools that my kids went to, now. Some New England schools are starting to fall by the wayside, I see.

Anyway, I find a lot of the reactions on this thread to be quite humorous. I was an atheist, Kennedy Democrat when I moved to Knoxville and was quite welcomed here. But some of the posters don't realize that they are coming across as snobby elitists.

Oh, and Knoxville is not a big city. It's a tiny city and acts more like a very big town. People are very, very friendly and would love to be your friend. However, they are not idiots. A lot of Northerners take that sweet accent as stupidity, a grave mistake. They can spot a phony from a mile away and will not befriend them.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No kidding. As a transplant myself, if I've seen one of those, I've seen a million.

The absolute worst? The ones who move to the South because of economic opportunity that simply didn't exist in their home states, and then start complaining the minute the moving van is unpacked.

They complain about the heat and the humidity. Then they complain that there aren't really cold winters.
They complain about kids saying 'Sir' and 'Ma'am.'
They complain about how Southerners interact with one another.
They complain about how many churches there are.
They, get this, complain about cashiers at the grocery store actually being friendly and helpful.
They complain about how Southerners do everything. And they do it with Southerners standing there, never realizing how insulting they are.

In that sense, I'll tell you how Southerners are markedly superior. Southerners almost to a person have far, far better people skills. They have better manners, seem to be better attuned to others, are more patient with others, and are generally a heck of a lot more considerate. Oh, to be sure, there's the occasional rude Southerner and polite Northerner. But on the whole, having lived here quite a while now, I've begun to wonder if people north of the Ohio River and the Mason Dixon Line were collectively raised by wolves.

It's really embarrassing if you think about it. And yet lots of Northerners like to look down on Southerners. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm sorry. But you just made a ridiculous argument. What you just essentially said is that because a person is inherently nice to others, that person should be blamed for not being your best friend for life?

To me, that's not the fault of the Southerner, but rather a lack of basic social skills on your part. I guess it's because we Northerners are so starved for civility or hospitality that we take any kind words as an overture. Look, if Southerners want to be your friends, they'll tell you or accept your invitation to dinner. If they don't, they'll still be polite. How this is their fault is beyond me.
This is dead on. Dead. On.

It happens to a large extent in Florida, too. But the darn transplants outnumber the locals in many places.

I've noticed here in Knoxville that some of the transplants show up for economic reasons and then whine like that. They never last.

I moved to the South because I wanted that way of life. I embraced the people and they, in turn, embraced me. But I was raised to be polite. I enjoy a door being held for me. I love it when someone says, "Ma'am." My youngest child is now a GRITS girl and she is darn proud of it!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,160,102 times
I moved from PA to Mississippi a few years ago. Now I'm back in PA. The thing I disliked the most and found the most different was the economy and job market. In MS it was like there was no middle class, you're either a "have" or "have-not." Jobs, especially blue-collar jobs, pay signifficantly less in MS. I guarantee those in MS that do the same job I do in PA make half of what I do, and probably have little or no benefits either. Weather, that's a given, May through October down there is a furnace. Snow, when it does snow down south, stay off the roads because southerners have no idea how to drive in it! People, I think the whole "southern hospitality" thing is a bit over-rated. Southerners are more hospitable, to a degree. However, in a business or political sense they are shady and corrupt, especially if you're a "yankee" or not one of "good ole boys." Actually if you're not from there or don't have family ties there you're an outsider. I couldn't tell you how many times I was called a "yankee." To many down south the civil war still rages on. Yet when my ex-girlfriend from MS came up here to PA no one ever called her a "rebel." They would just say; "you have a deep southern accent, what state are you from" ? You're also looked differently upon if you're not ultra conservative, (like you support abortion or any type of gay union),. Blacks and whites still seem very segregated. Even though I was in a relationship, southern woman did seem friendlier. That's all I can think of for now

Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM

I guess it depends where you are in the South. However, it's the same up North. You are going to be treated very differently whether you are in Boston or Indianapolis; Syracuse, New York or Peoria, Illinois. Somehow we don't paint all of the North with a broad brush but have no problem doing it to the South.

I will concede that I first moved to Florida so I was already over the shock of salaries and heat. By the time I got to Knoxville I didn't mind the lower pay because the cost of living ratio was excellent, something I can't get in New England. And I think - after living in New England and Southwest Florida - that the weather is stunningly perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or