Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 AM

86 posts, read 84,116 times

Advertisements

I've been trying for up to 2 years to get a bite so I can move. It's been fruitless.

I did get a few calls the last couple of months and one in person interview (and a few phone ones) but it came to nothing in the end. I am basically geographically limited to where I can travel to in a day or two as my job offers little leeway on when I can "just take off." This area is too expensive to rent/buy IF I did get a job---at least at this time in my life.

I've found the best thing is (worrying though) is to move first then look for a job. My wife and I did this a few times when we were younger but as you age, you get more scared no one is ever going to hire you again. I've been out of work a few times and it took awhile to get a job.

But hey, sometimes you have to "get out" of a bad situation and just move.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:17 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I transferred. That's my advice for most people in career positions: join a company that has divisions all over the US.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
As a professional, I networked my way into new jobs and did not move until I had accepted an offer. That would generally take 3 months to several years (in the case of my move from Colorado to Denmark.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:09 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
It's a catch 22.

It's next to impossible to find a job in a city where you don't have a local address unless you have some kind of difficult to find skill or experience. You can send thousands upon thousands of resumes to various cities. If you don't live there, you will not get a single call. I am stuck in a small city I don't want to be in for this reason. I can't afford to just quit my job and leave and I can't find a job before I move because my address is here. For this reason, I'll be stuck here another 3-4 years. It's unfortunate.

I think the best way to move is to either save up six months of living expenses and just move, or find a job in your current city that allows you to transfer. Applying for jobs in another city without an address there will not work, unless you are fresh out of college (employers are more open to non-local candidates who are fresh college grads).

Old 07-09-2017, 09:08 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Very rarely will people hire 6 months out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues