U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 PM

7,140 posts, read 5,412,384 times

Advertisements

I am moving from the East coast to the Midwest sometime after April. I am planning to hire a moving company. I may consider moving in July as well. When is the cheapest and most expensive time to move? I was thinking if I wait until the summer that it will be extremely expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 AM

521 posts, read 3,940,605 times
Although May is officially the start of the traditional household goods moving season, anymore summer starts in April in the domestic moving industry. The typical 'off season' occurs between September thru November; and then again from mid-January until mid to late April.

Capacity is often restricted between Thanksgiving and New Years since many over-the-road van operators head home for the holidays.

Most of the larger national van lines raise their rates and extended their pick-up and delivery service days during the spring.

In 2011, many of the largest household goods carriers had already started announcing booking restrictions for the period between May 14 until after July 4th at the end of April.

DO NOT shop for a mover based on the cheapest price. It could end up costing you quite a bit more.

With this year's overall capacity shortage, the number of consumer complaints increased dramatically in 2011 as many inexperienced cash-strapped customers were ripped off by promises made by fly-by-night movers, unscrupulously brokerage companies, and pseudo move management services.

Visit my blog for some professional tips about how to find a mover.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 AM

7,140 posts, read 5,412,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Although May is officially the start of the traditional household goods moving season, anymore summer starts in April in the domestic moving industry. The typical 'off season' occurs between September thru November; and then again from mid-January until mid to late April.

Capacity is often restricted between Thanksgiving and New Years since many over-the-road van operators head home for the holidays.

Most of the larger national van lines raise their rates and extended their pick-up and delivery service days during the spring.

In 2011, many of the largest household goods carriers had already started announcing booking restrictions for the period between May 14 until after July 4th at the end of April.

DO NOT shop for a mover based on the cheapest price. It could end up costing you quite a bit more.

With this year's overall capacity shortage, the number of consumer complaints increased dramatically in 2011 as many inexperienced cash-strapped customers were ripped off by promises made by fly-by-night movers, unscrupulously brokerage companies, and pseudo move management services.

Visit my blog for some professional tips about how to find a mover.
How much advance notice should I give to a moving company when I am ready to move?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM

521 posts, read 3,940,605 times
That depends on when you plan to move.

Most national van lines require at least five days notice as a minimum, although exceptions are often made when things are slow. Beginning in April, I would allow at least four to six weeks.

Get at least three in-home estimates and then compare them for the best value - not the cheapest price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues