U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM

6 posts, read 25,230 times

Advertisements

I'll be travelling from VA to MO on Christmas holidays. I've reserved a Penske 22' truck (with all the insurances, tax and unlimited mileage for 6 days) cost me $1170. I've few concerns;

1..Is it good to have all insurance coverages from Penske? (I do've my own insurance but I don't want to use it in case if there's any damange involved)?

2..Never drove 22' truck (with a tow trolly for my 2005 Acura TL)? So much concerned about the driving it for almost 850 miles?

3..22' trcuk comes with 3 passengers seats. I've a 10 months old besides my wife? will it be feasible/recommended to take a child in the same trcuk?

Your opinions/replies/recommendations are really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

28,358 posts, read 61,547,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoniusa View Post
1..Is it good to have all insurance coverages from Penske?
Probably not. Call your agent. KNOW.

2..Never drove 22' truck (with a tow trolly for my 2005 Acura TL)?
So much concerned about the driving it for almost 850 miles?

Drive the truck alone and empty for practice.
On and off the interstate, around parking lots, a few small streets.
Practice with the car in tow as well if still unsure.

With the exception of backing up... there shouldn't be a problem.
Avoid the need to back up.

3..22' trcuk comes with 3 passengers seats.
will it be feasible/recommended to take a child in the same trcuk?

Is there a middle lap belt?

Probably not an issue but call Penske and ask them
hth

Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks for your reply to my post MrRational.

Yes, there's a middle lap belt, I made it sure from the Penske agent.
I know if I don't get insurances from Penske, it will reduce price way below $1000 - I've this thought that if I get involved in any accident (while using my own car insurance) it will raise my premiums, so I imagine it might be a good idea to have it covered by Penske?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,427,038 times
Why not let your wife and child follow you in the Acura? You save having to rent a tow dolly and simplify your task of driving the truck. It might cost a bit more but everybody would be safer.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks Zembonez.

Tha's a good point - I was only thinking about having my family with me during this long journey, I hate to drive by myself. Again, driving 22' truck with a tow dolley won't be easy/fun

Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,318 posts, read 39,584,036 times
If apprehensive / in-experienced with towing, I would have the wife and kid do the safe thing... (drive themselves in Acura).

The additional stress of having them with you seems to appear too much and an additional risk for all.

850 miles is nothing, (a long day's drive). My daily trucking run in ICY and windy WY / SD / NE / CO was 850 miles, it was my favorite and ez est job.

I did two cross country moves for friends this yr. The Penske DT 466 experience was GREAT towing trailers with cars. A dolly is more of a pain (can't back up, can't see towed car behind). I built some $5 wooden extension poles w/ lights and mounted to rear of trailer / car. I could always tell how it was trailing (and that is was still there ).

Do the safest thing, regardless of cost / trouble.

Have a nice trip, watch your height clearance, NO DRIVE-UPS and use TRUCK fuel stations !!!. Use caution when driving and parking near curb (truck will lean and scrape traffic signs)

Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,819,234 times
Quote:
I'll be travelling from VA to MO on Christmas holidays. I've reserved a Penske 22' truck (with all the insurances, tax and unlimited mileage for 6 days) cost me $1170. I've few concerns;

1..Is it good to have all insurance coverages from Penske? (I do've my own insurance but I don't want to use it in case if there's any damange involved)?
Someone else has already given you a good answer for that.

Quote:
2..Never drove 22' truck (with a tow trolly for my 2005 Acura TL)? So much concerned about the driving it for almost 850 miles?
It's a piece of cake. Just remember that the vehicle is larger then you are used to driving. So keep extra space on all sides, and don't take any chances. If another vehicle is partly blocking your lane, don't try to squeeze by.

Avoid driving into parking lots or other tight spaces. Try to park on the side of the street, or on the outskirts of the parking lot away from other vehicles, and walk from there.

Avoid backing up as much as possible. Avoid driving into any place where you might have to back up.

Know the hight of your truck, and watch for overhead objects, that you might hit. You wont have to worry much about most bridges, tunnels, overhead freeway signs etc. Those will all be well over the top of your truck. But some gas station canopies and commercial signs, will be low enough for you to hit. Those can cause serious damage.

So just drive slow, take it easy, and if you are not sure if you have enough clearance, just stop the truck wherever. Get out walk around and check that you have enough space to get by, through, or under.

Quote:
3..22' trcuk comes with 3 passengers seats. I've a 10 months old besides my wife? will it be feasible/recommended to take a child in the same trcuk?
It shouldn't be a problem, if you have a child car seat.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM

521 posts, read 3,919,450 times
I have to agree with Zembonez! If you're not familiar or comfortable driving a 35'-38' articulated 10,000 lb vehicle combination 850-1000 miles through the mountains during a busy holiday travel period, then it seems both practical and prudent to have your family follow in the car.

Having made the same trip multiple times in both an auto and tractor-trailer, I can tell you that the trip is not difficult but can, at times, be quite challenging depending on the weather, amount of traffic and ever-changing road conditions. One Christmas it took six hours just to get from Frostburg to Morgantown because of extremely icy roads caused by freezing fog.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM

121 posts, read 384,615 times
Driving on the interstate is the easy part. I agree to have wife drive with baby. Get the insurance with Penske. Your own car insurance can be a good back up just in case. We've done Penske for 3 out of state moves. Most around 2,000 miles give or take.
Good luck!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks to StealthRabbit, Kaaboom, RikkiTikki and Pauljrnicole! I am really much thankful to all who replied to my posting.

After receiving good advices from all of you, I am thinking to downgrade to 16' truck and let my wife drive my car. 22' truck was my preference if my wife and baby were travelling with me cuz it has an extra seat for the baby. Tomorrow I'll make sure (by visiting local Penske rental) if I can put all my stuff in 16'. If that's the case I am sure I'll make it safe and sound.

Great website and I'll recommend my family & friends to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues