Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 PM

8 posts, read 20,395 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm looking for moral support. I hate where I am now.
So looking into places and in some cities I can only start off renting a room.

I'm on unemployment insurance and nothing no job offer where I am for the past 6 months. Still I can meet all my bills with the UI

So has anyone ever given up an apartment to rent a room in order to make a fresh start and get away from a place one hates ?

I'm in a bind. Feels sort of like a Catch 22. I have a BA in the wrong field
for the times we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanite11 View Post

I'm on unemployment insurance and nothing no job offer where I am for the past 6 months. Still I can meet all my bills with the UI

So has anyone ever given up an apartment to rent a room in order to make a fresh start and get away from a place one hates ?

I have two degrees and have been in the revolving door. I have a temp job now, which I found out I am going to be losing soon.

I have mulled over this continual struggle to "find a decent job" and the crappy searches, the arrogant treatment, and no matter how hard you work, it is never enough.

I think I am fairly intelligent and should be able to eck out a living for myself. I thought about getting like minded people together and maybe forming a community. Not a commune. But just people that would help (no leeches or freeloaders) each other and maybe do some substinence living, I don't know...just mulling this over. Have any thoughts on taking a different path? I want to get off this merry-go-round.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:

Do you have the means to start taking some college classes and work on a Masters or get a second degree?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 PM

341 posts, read 672,160 times
Quote:

Saw your post, thought that I would respond.

Sorry for your sadness,,,,,,,,,,,,where do you live?? Where are you looking to move to?
I wished I too had someone to talk to with my issues....have not worked in quite a few (wont even say)...I am now old (early 50s).....but I have returned to school....wont take me too long to finish what I need..............
THEN, I am moving out of California back to where I used to live......much happier there.
I think that it is important to live where you want and not be in a place that you do not like.
So....as I have done for myself.
1. Set 3 or 4 goals...not too many.
2. Make yourself a road map......dont let anything distract you.
3. Complete one goal at a time,,,,,then you will feel better.
4. Put yourself first,,,,,I have learned the hard way,,,,,always.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,964 times
I don't know anything about you so I can't help you much in that area, but all I can say is that I can sympathize. I hate where I live also.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:52 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
There was a point in my life where I might have posted the exact same words. 10 years ago I was sharing a house w/7 other people and sleeping in one of the closets. I could pay my bills, but that was about it, and we were on the verge of getting kicked out. No one wanted to hire me for my qualifications - all I could find were crappy, low-paying jobs.

So I sucked up my pride, moved back with family to save up some money. Went back to school for a degree that I determined had the best chance of lucrative employment (regardless of whether I 'loved' it or not). Found out I actually loved the stuff I was studying and had an unexpected aptitude for it. Met a hot guy who was attracted to brainy chicks. Got a killer internship. Graduated and got a great job in a beautiful city after marrying previously mentioned guy.

I pretty much followed what the previous poster laid out - I set myself several goals with the overriding one being to make a decent living. It meant getting out of my comfort zone (History, French) and eyeing the world with a strictly mercenary outlook. No one wanted History majors - everyone wanted engineers, so despite the fact that I'd never had much math and barely knew how to turn on my computer - I went back to school for engineering. So that was my path out of the place you're describing. Yeah - not doing what you love is tough, but I wasn't doing what I loved. I was working fast food and call centers and it sucked even more. Once I decided on my path forward, I didn't let anything get in my way. Didn't know math? Study harder. Didn't understand how to program? Practice more. I sat in the front row, knew all my professors. They recommended me for jobs and helped me find opportunities. the world is hungry for good engineers and I've found my skills to be in demand ever since. It's been a nice change. I still love history and French - now I can go over to my emplyer's location in France and talk to the locals. I use it more as an engineer than I did when it was one of my major areas of study.

So that was one person's solution. I'm sure there are many other ways I could have made it happen, but the key was deciding what I wanted (financial stability), identifying a path to it and making it happen.

Best wishes to you in finding a path that's right for you!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
There was a point in my life where I might have posted the exact same words. 10 years ago I was sharing a house w/7 other people and sleeping in one of the closets. I could pay my bills, but that was about it, and we were on the verge of getting kicked out. No one wanted to hire me for my qualifications - all I could find were crappy, low-paying jobs.

So I sucked up my pride, moved back with family to save up some money. Went back to school for a degree that I determined had the best chance of lucrative employment (regardless of whether I 'loved' it or not). Found out I actually loved the stuff I was studying and had an unexpected aptitude for it. Met a hot guy who was attracted to brainy chicks. Got a killer internship. Graduated and got a great job in a beautiful city after marrying previously mentioned guy.

I pretty much followed what the previous poster laid out - I set myself several goals with the overriding one being to make a decent living. It meant getting out of my comfort zone (History, French) and eyeing the world with a strictly mercenary outlook. No one wanted History majors - everyone wanted engineers, so despite the fact that I'd never had much math and barely knew how to turn on my computer - I went back to school for engineering. So that was my path out of the place you're describing. Yeah - not doing what you love is tough, but I wasn't doing what I loved. I was working fast food and call centers and it sucked even more. Once I decided on my path forward, I didn't let anything get in my way. Didn't know math? Study harder. Didn't understand how to program? Practice more. I sat in the front row, knew all my professors. They recommended me for jobs and helped me find opportunities. the world is hungry for good engineers and I've found my skills to be in demand ever since. It's been a nice change. I still love history and French - now I can go over to my emplyer's location in France and talk to the locals. I use it more as an engineer than I did when it was one of my major areas of study.

So that was one person's solution. I'm sure there are many other ways I could have made it happen, but the key was deciding what I wanted (financial stability), identifying a path to it and making it happen.

WOO HOO! Best post of the week

Folks would be wise to pay attention.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
Yeah for Kayela

way to go

Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post

Best post I've read in a month! Congratulations on your success, and thank you for such a constructive post!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
yes definitly a great post, Kayela...worth printing out and keeping for a reference and a ray of light in a dreary situation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues