U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 PM

434 posts, read 439,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico90 View Post
New mexico,new mexico,great state no humidity and there is snow

Parts of New Mexico can get plenty of snow, and cold. More of it in the Mountains. Most of the state is pretty warm. I'm pretty sure you could find somewhere to go skiing.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,393,291 times
New Mexico vs Florida
Dry desert and mountains vs Flat and humid
Tough and creative towns/people vs HOAs and ordinances
local cuisine vs Everyone else's cuisine
local crafts and suppliers vs Lots of malls and shopping
Drive 20 minutes and be alone vs Drive 20 minutes and be in another town
blizzards, flooded washes, lack of water vs Endless swamps, hurricanes, no winter
Native Americans vs Cubans (should learn Spanish)
The Sandia Mountains vs Disney World

It all depends on what you want.
Do I seem a little prejudiced?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 AM

304 posts, read 528,700 times
I have never been to NM, but am a native Floridian. Listen to us when we tell you Florida sucks. Crippling heat and humidity, too, ALL YEAR LONG - and I'm not exagerating.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 AM

434 posts, read 439,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I have never been to NM, but am a native Floridian. Listen to us when we tell you Florida sucks. Crippling heat and humidity, too, ALL YEAR LONG - and I'm not exagerating.

I heard Florida sucks too, but for entirely different reasons.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 PM

7,496 posts, read 9,724,623 times
I personally love Florida but it seems like it'd be impossible to live there with the high COL and low wages and the seemingly constant threat of natural disaster.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 AM

304 posts, read 528,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I personally love Florida but it seems like it'd be impossible to live there with the high COL and low wages and the seemingly constant threat of natural disaster.
Yes, we do have lower-than-average wages combined with high COL. However, we actually don't get hurricanes as often as you might think. They are always a threat, because hurricane season is several months, but sometimes you can go the whole season and not get a real threat.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 PM

254 posts, read 573,483 times
I've lived in both states for many years. I don't recommend Florida to anybody unless you like rude people, muggy weather almost year round, and horrible transportation infrastructure. The only time worth being down there would be the winter. It is also extremely fake--particularly around Orlando and South Florida--and has long been known to attract problem people up the East Coast.

New Mexico is much better in my opinion. You can get seclusion, it's easy to drive around the state--very little traffic--and feels real. The food is distinctive, most of the people are genuine and friendly--except Santa Fe--and isn't your typical place. Yes it is gritty in places, but so is a big chunk of Florida. The main difference is a huge display of wealth like that seen in FL or SOCAL isn't noticeable in NM outside the capital. This turns many people off, which to me is perfectly fine. After living in tourist traps in FL I'm perfectly content being off the radar for once.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 12 hours ago)

8,596 posts, read 10,787,046 times
New Mexico, southwest in general, a freer outlook on life. Live and let live, open mindedness. Florida, many retirees, transient place (I think moreso than N. Mexico?), humidity, different feeling. I don't care for Florida except for vacations.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,512,323 times
When I saw the title of this thread, I was sure that New Mexico would get hammered hard. It is a different type of state and does not seem to appeal to some of the mainstream. I also frequent the Retirement forum and few mention New Mexico while many aspire to relocate to Florida. I was pleasantly surprised to read all the complimentary reviews of New Mexico although I realize that most are more than a year old.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
I am interested in opinions regarding relocation. If you had a choice between Albuquerque, NM and Clearwater, Fl to live (having a job in either place) which would you choose and why????
Definitely Clearwater, Fl.
New Mexico has one of the driest climates in the world which causes many people to develop allergies, skin, nails, and hair problems, among many other reasons for not choosing this state to live. There are no upscale department stores and no quality entertainment. We've lived in Santa Fe, NM, X 10 years in a beautiful area with gorgeous views of the mountains, however, we can't wait to relocate. We enjoy the tropics, the beach, and therefore humidity is not a problems for us. We are fit, long distance runners and love running in Florida any time during the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues