U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 10:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,207,510 times

Advertisements

Not really a "move issue" but it's due to a move that I need this assistance.

So I am newly located in northern Washington State. 25% of my belongings are still down in San Diego and I need to fly back to make arrangements for them after I get the relocation bonus. The problem is I have no furniture - I chose not to keep it, trashed it all because it was fairly old and I needed new stuff. I can buy the stuff, but I'm in a 3-story townhome. Until I get settled and comfortable at this new job of mine, I'm not keen on taking on any major projects that will wear me out in the long term. I haven't even fully unpacked yet.

I have been researching a number of places and have found furniture I like, and have no problems buying it, but the issue is getting it up to the places where it will be. I need to get a computer desk in the rear of the dining area, a full sofa or sectional in the living room, and a bed in one of the bedrooms upstairs. I'll move my current airbed in there for guests (which I don't plan to have any of). But I totally am not with lifting 300+ lbs up three flights of stairs. So I want to have someone else do it and I'll just pay for it. Problem is I can't find anyone who will do it! Or if I do, their schedules absolutely swallow.

OfficeMax has the computer desk that I want. They'll deliver it free. Problem there is that they will only deliver 8-5 M-F. I can't express how annoying that is - people are working those hours/days. The bed companies will deliver it but it's all done through major shipper who won't bring it in the place for me - also I can't control what day they show up.

So here is what I want:

• I want to schedule the delivery and I want it to be a Saturday or Sunday delivery. I don't even care what time. But it cannot be during the week. I'll have to likely be leaving at least an hour early to get to work on time every day due to some construction and I'll probably end up getting home an hour late for the same reason, so M-F won't work unless they can give me definitive times (not ranges). -OR-
  • I want to find a company that will just provide hired help for whatever, and task them with the heavy lifting. I'll buy the stuff, they can pick it up and bring it here on the day I choose, they put the stuff in the proper rooms.

Does such a company exist or does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 AM

521 posts, read 3,932,501 times
Does such a company exist? Yeah, they're called professional movers.

The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission regulates them so before you hire someone, confirm that they are permitted with the UTC. UTC Movers Homepage

Most will do whatever pick-up, delivery, lifting, or rearranging you want as long as you're willing to pay for the manpower, material, equipment, and level of insurance protection you require.

Typically weekend and after-hours deliveries cost extra and a minimum rate may apply. Since convenience is a priority for you, expect to pay either time-and-a-half or double-time rates depending on your personal schedule and what you can afford.

Beware of "For Hire" labor services found operating through popular community bulletin boards like craiglist. They could break your new stuff after you pay them and then you have no recourse under the law. The UTC has tried to shut a number of illegal operators and unlicensed 'man and a van' companies down in the last few years but consumers shopping for "cheap" seemed determined to keep them in business.

Last edited by RikkiTikki; 01-02-2012 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Does such a company exist? Yeah, they're called professional movers.

The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission regulates them so before you hire someone, confirm that they are permitted with the UTC. UTC Movers Homepage

Most will do whatever pick-up, delivery, lifting, or rearranging you want as long as you're willing to pay for the manpower, material, equipment, and level of insurance protection you require.

Typically weekend and after-hours deliveries cost extra and a minimum rate may apply. Since convenience is a priority for you, expect to pay either time-and-a-half or double-time rates depending on your personal schedule and what you can afford.

Beware of "For Hire" labor services found operating through popular community bulletin boards like craiglist. They could break your new stuff after you pay them and then you have no recourse under the law. The UTC has tried to shut a number of illegal operators and unlicensed 'man and a van' companies down in the last few years but consumers shopping for "cheap" seemed determined to keep them in business.
Unfortunately, that site you posted is down. But I get the general idea. And let me clarify an example of what I want to do, because in my experience (Southern California) movers don't do this.

I go to OfficeMax. I buy some furniture. I want this company, whoever it is, to wait outside or whatever, OfficeMax wheels the stuff out, this company takes it back to my place, brings it upstairs. At that point OfficeMax would handle the actual installation and setup.

But the company I'm trying to find basically needs to be an on-call type service where they would patiently wait for the stuff that needs to be delivered.

I think after some looking using UHaul's Moving Helper service might be my best bet, then I can just rent a cargo van myself.

Last edited by revelated; 01-02-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 AM

521 posts, read 3,932,501 times
Most reputable moving and installation service companies will wait as long as you want or do whatever your heart desires as long as you're willing to pay their price.

The OT rates for a weekend business pick up, in-home delivery, and onsite installation might cost you as much as $320-500 for a four-hour minimum depending on the items you purchased, parking restrictions, and access/egress limitations.

Many up-scale apartment and condo complexes and restricted or gated communities will not allow commercial movins over the weekend particularly if a parking dock, elevator or stairs are involved.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Most reputable moving and installation service companies will wait as long as you want or do whatever your heart desires as long as you're willing to pay their price.

The OT rates for a weekend business pick up, in-home delivery, and onsite installation might cost you as much as $320-500 for a four-hour minimum depending on the items you purchased, parking restrictions, and access/egress limitations.

Many up-scale apartment and condo complexes and restricted or gated communities will not allow commercial movins over the weekend particularly if a parking dock, elevator or stairs are involved.
I don't have that problem. There's nobody above or below me. As long as I keep it within 9 - 9 hours, they don't care. We get plenty of moving and towing trucks through here and it's not gated.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM

2,865 posts, read 6,390,260 times
Have you asked at OfficeMax if they know how you can get that done? Maybe they can refer you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues