U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,615 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of 2 and wanting to relocate from Midwest to South. I am looking for a small town feel, place where there are good schools and low crime, where community and faith is what everyone cherishes. I am looking for a place where we would see a lot of horses and beautiful hills and cowboys Down to earth, simple living, low cost of living, and good opportunity to find work. I have thought about North Carolina, Alabama, or Georgia.. I would appreciate any suggestions. Small town feel, cafe where people converse and where the locals welcome new families with open arms and neighbors watch out for neighbors. Do NOT want to be in a busy crowded city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 12:37 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,001,937 times
South Central or South Texas would be a wonderful place for you to move your kids to. There are many really small, incorporated towns between San Antonio and Austin, for example. The economy is easy to live on, there and you have no state income tax. Texas grants much personal freedom to its citizens and is not likely to bow to the tyranny that's becoming evident in DC.

South Texas is experiencing a literal Oil Boom that isn't making the national news scene. This has got to create jobs as the months pass. It certainly has for one sister of mine and a cousin's hubby, so far.

No doubt the school districts vary a lot in Texas, or so I would assume because the freedom to be different is so true, there.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,615 times
I am not sure about Texas...It is very hot there, and I am not one for extreme heat.. actually makes me very ill. I can handle your usual summer temps..but I think Texas is in the 90s or higher more often than not, at least that is what I have heard?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Then the South is not for you. The summers can be very hot, and sticky with humidity.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4change4us View Post
single mom of 2 and wanting to relocate from Midwest to South.
...and good opportunity to find work.
Focus on the work first. Secure that (whatever "work" is for you).
THEN look for an area near that work which is as close to your dream spot as you can find.

Don't expect to find that dream spot anywhere
Don't move before you have a job.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,452 posts, read 14,303,163 times
South + (relatively) cooler weather = mountainous areas, but I really don't think you are going to find many cowboys in those areas.
Horses and hills sound like KY and TN might be your best bets if TX won't work for you, but the job situation in small towns and rural areas probably won't be great.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM

13,819 posts, read 18,775,199 times
Have you considered south carolina ? relatively mild winters and humid hot summers but hey the beach is only maybe two hrs away depending on what city you choose and also two hrs to the mountains which I would consider the best of both worlds . You can always get a pool to cool you off in the summer or there is air conditioning . Im really considering a move from the midwest to the south as well to be closer to the grandkids and kids .

Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
A lot of people think moving to a small town is heaven. But locals don't always take well to new folks. And small town life can be a difficult adjustment for kids not used to a small town lifestyle.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
A lot of people think moving to a small town is heaven. But locals don't always take well to new folks. And small town life can be a difficult adjustment for kids not used to a small town lifestyle.
Really true. Just in the movies do they.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM

16,781 posts, read 25,845,337 times
If you don't like temps above the 90s in the summer do not move to the Carolinas, Georgia or Alabama. You won't be able to handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues