Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Florida is the state that most people want to leave...reading through general moving and individual state forums I've notice that there are a lot more people looking to leave Florida than any other state.

Tennessee seems to be where a lot of people would like to relocate to...

Anyone else notice this....?
I don't notice the Tennessee thing but I do see a lot of people wanting to leave Florida. I see a lot of people wanting to move there too. Florida seems an ideal place to live due to its climate and proximity to the rest of the south and the Caribbean and all of the things to do in Florida.

However I imagine for some people all of this isn't enough when one has lived there long enough or they have gotten a good whiff of the economy there and how hard it is to get by down there. The cost of living in certain areas combined with the lack of jobs or lack of well-paying jobs is a no-brainer. There is a lot of crime in some areas as well though there is crime everywhere.

Me, I would go back in an instant if I could get a job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertrepuR View Post
Because Florida sucks lol at least South Florida. Like someone else has mentioned; horrible education, hard to find jobs if you're not bilingual (or even if you are), high crime is starting to appear more in what used to be good areas like Coral Springs and even Boca Raton. Too much culture (unless you like that sort of thing, personally I don't though), everyone is rude (there are rude people everywhere but I've lived in a few different states and Florida has by far the rudest) and it's INCREDIBLY hard to get along with people here. Everyone is very stand offish. Good luck getting your neighbors to be friendly (at least in my experience but I rent apartments)
Miami #2 and Orlando #10 made the top 10 list of the rudest cities...

snip...No. 10: Orlando - "Apparently, being family-friendly is different from being just friendly."
Rudest Cities in America

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM

74 posts, read 275,043 times
Quote:
Miami #2 and Orlando #10 made the top 10 list of the rudest cities...

snip...No. 10: Orlando - "Apparently, being family-friendly is different from being just friendly."
Rudest Cities in America
Yeah, not really surprised about Miami getting the #2 spot, however I do disagree with New York City being #1.

Sure, not everyone is going to smile and wave at you when you see them on the streets, but if you actually talk to some random person they're generally nice. In Miami-Fort Lauderdale it's completely different. If I stop to ask a stranger for directions most of the time I've been either ignored or been told the directions in a rude tone of voice, like I'm bothering them where as in New York I've always been helped if I needed directions without bad attitudes.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Quote:
Florida is the state that most people want to leave...reading through general moving and individual state forums I've notice that there are a lot more people looking to leave Florida than any other state.

Tennessee seems to be where a lot of people would like to relocate to...

Anyone else notice this....?
It was. In 2005.

Florida is great if you are retired, will never need a job, and are internally satisfied. Dont go there looking for a haven, the bubble has burst. There are few jobs. Orlando is the ugliest city I have ever seen, tourism and tacky. It is like the south Bronx with palm trees, lol.

Tenn is okay but behind the times. Anyone moving from S Florida esp. should really research before moving. East tenn. economy not great unless you are in medical or teach at University.

A few years ago someone posted "you cant eat the scenery". This is very true in Tenn. Mountains dont really do it for me.

Florida in ten years may make a comeback, it has the ocean and if you are retired can be a lovely state. But the bubble hit very hard and the job issue is a serious problem. Also if you have young kids you will not want either FL or tenn as the public school system is very poor compared to the northeast or West.

When relocating dont take Money magazine or US News&World Rpt at first impression. Cities pay to advertise to get tourist dollars.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times
Default Still Miss FL

Quote:
Because Florida sucks lol at least South Florida. Like someone else has mentioned; horrible education, hard to find jobs if you're not bilingual (or even if you are), high crime is starting to appear more in what used to be good areas like Coral Springs and even Boca Raton. Too much culture (unless you like that sort of thing, personally I don't though), everyone is rude (there are rude people everywhere but I've lived in a few different states and Florida has by far the rudest) and it's INCREDIBLY hard to get along with people here. Everyone is very stand offish. Good luck getting your neighbors to be friendly (at least in my experience but I rent apartments)
All of what you say is true. We left So. FL 8 yrs. ago. However, when we lived there FTL was still mostly "American." We enjoyed our time there--South Beach, Coconut Grove, Las Olas, the beaches--Hollywood, Miami Beach Ft. Lauderdale Beach--all wonderful. Great restaurants. We found the weather wonderful. In the hotest part of the summer we went to the beach or jumped in the pool. The winters were fabulous, with low humidity and temps in high 70's-low 80's. I loved not having to change out the clothes in my closet. Same weight clothing all year, except maybe a sweater. We didn't have children, so schools were not an issue. Both had good jobs. But the people are rude and unfriendly. However, during our time there we did make some good friends and acquaintances. But I think things have changed a lot in that 8 yrs. from what I hear. Too bad!

Last edited by staywarm2; 01-25-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
I have lived in 5 states and I can say hands down people in FL are the rudest. Now most of the rudeness comes from the northern transplants, but it really doesn't matter what their birth certificate says when you're impacted by it.

What I notice the most is the "me first" attitude.

Just a typical example as I was getting gas tonight, another car pulls up and they go into the store. But they're not getting gas.

But they parked their car and blocked two sets of pumps. This happens all the time, he could have parked 50 ft away in a parking space, but hey why be considerate of others, it's all about ME. It never occurs to them "hey people need to pull in here to get gas, and I'm blocking two sets of pumps"....It's all about me.

He just parked his car where he shouldn't have and two sets of gas pumps are now blocked. I see stuff like this all the time. No one else matters.

I have never seen such a lack of basic common courtesy for others as there is in FL. It takes its toll on you after awhile.

And driving is downright scary.

Last edited by seain dublin; 01-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: error

Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
It appears, by wading thru various forums, so many want to move today, somewhere. It just could be so many want to move because they feel trapped, and the desire increases with your entrapment!

Here, In Las Vegas, the polls state a good third of Las Vegans would skeedaddle elsewhere if they had the chance, but not so during the boom times, where you could sell your house in a heartbeat! Now trapped, the desire increases?

And where is everybody going? Does it all come down to musical chairs?
And the ones constantly moving somewhere, looking for their shangri-la's, will they ever find it?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I lived there. It was okay. The people are different.
I think you are not referring to cultural diversity, but to their being some sort of strange folks living there? There's a wonderful author, Carl Hiaasen, who writes books set in Florida about based on some strange characters he's found there. He gets inspiration for his books from newspaper clippings.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Several people I know who moved there and came back said the same thing. They were from New Jersey, so I don't think they are overly sensitive or overly chummy types, either.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I lived there. It was okay. The people are different.
My friend used to live in Florida. I used to visit him frequently. He moved back to Connecticut.

He said it is a state where many people believe they are "following the yellow brick road." People move there thinking they are going to start a new life, that all their problems are going to disappear and they are going to be so much better off. He noticed a lot of the younger people were transients and would quickly move into relationships and then just disappear in the middle of the night.

It is tough because since so many people have no roots in the area when things get tough they bail or get into trouble.

No place is perfect. I like Florida very much from late October until March. I couldn't live there the other months of the year. I find the summer heat and humidity is worse than the cold and snow of winter so if I had to live in one place it wouldn't be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues