U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,797,845 times

Advertisements

There's been much talk these days of many people having to move back in with their parents for various reasons.
I'm one of those people who has never really moved away.
At 28, I'm finally beginning to feel it's gotten much past "that time".

With that said, what would be the best way to go about "living on ones own" for the first time?
I posted some things about buying a cheap house in a cheap area, but that's obviously jumping way ahead of myself.
Then there's getting a small, studio apartment in a cheap place as well.
However, the only thing that bothers me about this is, "being by myself" so-to-speak.

After giving it much thought, I've considered renting a room with someone similarly aged would be a good way to ease myself off of "living at the house".
I've checked out membership sites related to room-rental and found some rather good prices in areas I'd consider relocating to.
However, the lingering question I have about this is how long does one normally rent a room for?
I look at the options available on these sites I go to and the lease agreements/options seem to only go up to 12 months at the most.

Is there anyone out there that has, or knows about anyone that has rented a room for a lengthy amount of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,124,906 times
I don't think I could live with a stranger. Sometimes it can be a nightmare. I think living on your own is the best way to go if you can afford it. You will get used to it.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 AM

Only other reason I'm thinking the room-rental would be good for now is due to a quick job-change if it happens.
If any of my other posts were telling, I'm currently putting in applications for non-driving jobs in the cities I want to move to.

I figure get a room there right now, then get my own small apartment once enough funds have been amassed.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 AM

16,134 posts, read 20,760,860 times
My son lives with me half of the time and with a friend the other half. It seems to work fairly well for all concerned. It gives his mommy time to ensure her baby (almost 50) is OK

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

5,703 posts, read 16,124,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Only other reason I'm thinking the room-rental would be good for now is due to a quick job-change if it happens.
If any of my other posts were telling, I'm currently putting in applications for non-driving jobs in the cities I want to move to.

I figure get a room there right now, then get my own small apartment once enough funds have been amassed.
When we relocated out of state my husband had to go first. He rented a room from a single guy. It worked out okay but my husband hated it. The guy was dirty, had 3 cats that he never made sure had a clean litter box and would eat my husband's left overs from a restaurant. Ack. The guy was harmless but gross. It was the cheapest way though for us to get moved. We still had a house to pay for and he needed a place so he could work at his new job. We did this for about 3-4 months. There have been a few transplants at my husband's work, same situation of married men needing to start the job first but couldnt move the whole family yet. I believe most found their arrangements on craigslist. Some had better experiences than others.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,373 times
Surely theres some back story you're not sharing... you sound very unsure of yourself. Look move when you are ready mentally and financially not because some imaginary clock is ticking.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM

29 posts, read 128,909 times
I've lived with two people for almost two years. I was originally renting out the rooms of a house I was renting to some people I worked with at the military base. I worked on the same shift with the guy, but I didn't really know the woman at first. I did a thorough background, credit and reference check on both of them. It worked out great considering I wasn't paying rent and they were not paying much for a huge house. We became good friends and still stay in contact with each other. We joke about quitting our jobs and moving closer together so we can be roommates again.

Most people are good, but the saying 'Trust but verify' comes to mind. I've lived in furnished places with other people on a short term basis because of job offers. I don't recommend it unless you make sure to really check out everyone carefully.

If you don't want to get locked into a 12-month lease then I would live in a hotel for a couple of weeks until you can find something better.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell Cogs View Post
Surely theres some back story you're not sharing... you sound very unsure of yourself. Look move when you are ready mentally and financially not because some imaginary clock is ticking.
I may just stay over at my stepdads place until I'm able to move.
There's at least already a job lined up back over there and it's my ability to drive semi-trucks that's becoming mentally-impaired.
Too many risks and variables to take chances with when it comes to 80,000 lb vehicles and an easy-out is all I'm looking for.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM

8,823 posts, read 6,346,018 times
maybe see why you really want to move, just kind of put your thoughts in order and see where you stand with everything in your life..don't move because society says you should not be living "at home". I'd start by renting a room or small apartment short term to get a feel for things, that way you can turn back if you see you're not ready like you thought you were or whatever the reason .. Or stay where you are and take breaks by going away for the weekend alone now and then...sharing a place to live with a stranger can go either way, you really get to know a person by living with them and sometimes they're not who you thought they were at all...so signing a lease to rent a place with someone you don't really know, that's what I call taking a huge risk.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:01 PM

As far as the two cities I've got my mind firmly placed on moving to, Denver and Albuquerque, I already have some specific areas considered as far as where to rent goes.
But last night, I decided upon another idea to make getting a job in the area easy as well.

This sounds like a dumb idea to some, but I like it.
Stay and work where I live right now, and then place a security deposit/rent a decently priced apartment out-of-state.
I figure I'll pay rent on it even though I'm not actually living in the area yet in order to at least have a local address for job purposes.
Once I get some type of local work in the desired area, up and leave.

As to where I'll be living while pulling this off? Parents place where I have a job for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or