U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM

8,671 posts, read 7,639,349 times

Advertisements

To the OP, yes, but thats Ok, as the Bible says, Heaven is my Home.
1Pe 1:17 Since you call on a Father who judges each man’s work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear
1Pe 2:11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM

16,722 posts, read 40,852,901 times
I grew up moving around a lot. I get what you are saying.

Get involved in your local community volunteering in ways to make it a better place. Invest yourself in it and it will become your home.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,715,779 times
I can completely understand the feeling. Even though I start getting restless if I don't move every two years, I kinda miss having a stable environment.

My home is where my bed stands. I try to keep the same furniture and decoration every time I move and it gives me some feeling of home. Otherwise I might go crazy.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,557,308 times
Yes I feel this way. I moved a lot over the past 10 years from states and rentals even. None of the places I have lived have I felt a content feeling that I think of in calling a place home. This is even in my home state now since so much has changed.
Some I feel is less the place but what is going on within a person. If one is unhappy within whether facing depression/financial/health this can make it hard to feel content in a place. Also lack of relationships or ones that have changed.
When ever I hear a person state how happy they are feeling living in X state I think how wonderful it is and how can I feel that.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM

12,411 posts, read 16,432,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Some I feel is less the place but what is going on within a person. If one is unhappy within whether facing depression/financial/health this can make it hard to feel content in a place. Also lack of relationships or ones that have changed.
When ever I hear a person state how happy they are feeling living in X state I think how wonderful it is and how can I feel that.
My mother used to think ignorance was bliss. There is truth in that. It takes the ability to have insights and to evaluate your own life to be able to even be depressed. I think, if depression is not too severe, perhaps it is useful to goad us on to a more satisfying existence.

I don't feel that smothering sentimentalism about home, and probably do not fully appreciate having one, seeing so many people today having it so much tougher than I. What I DO feel, though, usually happens when I travel. I miss the familiar. About four days out and I am yearning to go back. I think these feelings are to be overcome, though, because much of the satisfaction of life comes in facing something new.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM

8,571 posts, read 10,776,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My mother used to think ignorance was bliss. There is truth in that. It takes the ability to have insights and to evaluate your own life to be able to even be depressed. I think, if depression is not too severe, perhaps it is useful to goad us on to a more satisfying existence.
Really true. People with little insight or understanding into themselves do seem happier perhaps than those that are more "thinkers" about their lives and their existence. I guess ignorance is really bliss.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 PM

2,762 posts, read 4,345,786 times
I think 'home' is hard to define sometimes. I've been thinking about gardening a lot lately, and what I'm planning to do with my yard over the next summer. It really feels like I'm making a home here that I'll be happy with for a long time. But then I started looking at some old pictures from when I lived in Florida, and I miss so many of those places. I know I won't ever live there again. It's just too hot and there are too many people, and it's not for me at all. But I'm almost homesick for certain places there. Hard to love parts of a place so much and know it can never be home.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,589,620 times
What a great thread. Currently I live in "God's waiting room." Seriously. People leave this place due to illness and the need to move to be taken care of by family or via the hearse. Hey, I'm still processing this and it will take some time.

You all know the saying "you can never go home again." Well, of course in my 52 years this has proven to be the case time and time again. People change. Places change. I'd been racking my brain trying to figure out where to go - that final place - until fate forced me into this strange twist of events that I am still processing.

At any rate, I think what matters most would be friends and family. Without this, no place will ever be home.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 AM

55,507 posts, read 74,405,087 times
no but in 1980 i lived in SF and came down here to meet the new fiancee's family they met in the sunroom for christmas reunion. little did i know that would become my living room 9 years later.
been there ever since. its small but i love it its home. surrounded by plants and sunshine.
i love SD
there is a great mexican song called mi rincon en el cielo my little corner in heaven.
btw u r right lots and lots of dead people but not my turn yet.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 AM

818 posts, read 1,947,145 times
I've found the state that feels like home to me, but not the part of it I currently live in. Nature and space is very important to me. I was raised on a farm and could never feel at home in a city or suburb. I was heartbroken to have to leave our last place, though I hate that oppressive state and never liked any of the neighbors there. Hated our house too, actually, but I loved the piece of land we had. After I planted flower beds and we built a pond and put a little cabin in the woods, the place became home to me. I raised all manner of animals there and slaved away at fixing up the house. Nothing like sweat equity to make you attached to a place. I got used to having 100+ acres of privacy too and now I feel crowded in the little lake community we're renting in. I miss having my morning coffee by the pond with all the swallows diving around me. I miss having campfires at our cabin on the weekends and listening to dozens of robins sing their bedtime song. I even miss having to cut and haul in cord after cord of firewood every year. I felt like a pioneer there. I have no projects and can't plant anything at this rental.

I know I'm in the right state though because whenever I have to leave for a while, I can't wait to get back and I feel complete relief as soon as I cross the state line again. I can't get over how beautiful it is here and I actually like the people (the natives, not so much the imports). I just happened to land in a rental that's surrounded by imports who I don't care to hang around with. This is kind of the "low rent" section, but it was the only place I could find that would allow dogs and it's at least a chalet, not an apartment. It will be a lot better when I find a chunk of land to buy, farther north where just driving down the road amongst awesome scenery makes me feel happy. Then I can plant some things and raise some critters and it will be home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues