U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,942 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I need some advice right about now, so much is going on. I'm so stressed and on the fence about what to do next.

I have the opportunity to relocate with my company (well its kind of a backhanded relo, if I don't go I will no longer have a job)
The pros are a cheaper economy, where we can finally afford a home and send the kids to a good public instead of the expensive private school and this three bdrm apt we rent now.

The cons are that I will have stay at my level now (senior accountant, no mgr promotion at the moment) and take a 5% pay cut
I don't know what to do, I've been with my co for 5 years so I'm pretty invested, but careerwise this does not seem like a good move, but the benefits to my family might be worth it. Any advice or people who have been in similiar situations. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 7,072,104 times
It doesn't seem like a great deal for you careerwise, though you would still have a job. At least your company values you enough to offer you a move. I would imagine that private school is quite expensive so that would probably balance out the pay cut. If you and your family could be happy and still live the quality of life you would want to then it would be worth it to me.

My husband took a job a few years ago that he wasn't entirely thrilled about but it got us back to a region we wanted to live in. After a year it paid off with a great promotion to a job he would have never even been considered for had we not been living here.

Point being you never know where life will take you but if you and your family are happy and have a good quality of life then some change may lead to bigger things.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,737,753 times
I took a pay cut, and voluntarily moved to a small town, from a big city. It was the best move I have ever made. I don't miss the city at all. As for my job, it is slower paced, less expectations. I am okay with that.

Sometimes it is not about money, but quality of life.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,792,463 times
What are the career options in your current city?
If they are slim to none, the I would go for it. Unemployment benefits is not going to keep your kids in a private school.
If the new location has better options then in the long run you may be better off.

I am relocating in 5 weeks, my company is closing one location and opening another, I see it as a great opportunity to live in an area with a better overall job market, a better housing market and way better schools.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,942 times
Actually were currently in a big city (NY) and the relo is to a smaller one (CO). There would be many more career opportunities if I left my job and found another job here (NY), but it’s just too expensive (Were a family of 5) We always have wanted to move "south", but career-wise I'm not sure if this makes sense. I need to look further into the job market in CO, I was planning on staying with my co FOREVER

I'm not necessarily a "climber" at work, but I want to be valued for the 50+ hours a week spent away from my family. How long can you stay at the same level, won't future employers think your lacking something if you've been with a co ten years without a promotion or position change? I mean half of my coworkers are taking their retention bonus and looking for something else.

It makes sense that we would be able to save the money used for private school, since the public schools are great, we could afford a home, and a better car. My husband works in a hospital so I'm confident that he will be able to find work. As far as family my parents said they would follow us (I'm an only child) and I have a cousin in Denver.

I know that I'm employable, I'm educated both (BA/MBA) but 5 years ago there were maybe 10 people for your dream job, know there's 50! This decision is so hard, I cannot stand the UNKNOWN, I don't want to move my entire family to work in a box with a tight lid, when now might be the time to change employers.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 AM

3,187 posts, read 7,072,104 times
On geography alone, coming from a CT girl who has spent 15 years in CO. The weather is soooooooo much better here, other than the occasional blizzard like today. No humidity, 300+ days of sun, people are much more outdoor focused, it's a different attitude than back east. The downsides can be there is no ocean and it's not as lush as the Northeast, but the mountains make up for all of that for me.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,769,807 times
I agree with others, 5% doesn't seem like a big deal to me if it balances out in the way of better COL, quality of life and no longer funding private school. As long as you're satisfied with your changes careerwise, why not?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)

8,720 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Concentrate on how you feel about it. Your feelings usually tell you what's up if you can screen out the mind/brain chatter of "what we should do." I think we know what to do inside ourselves (gut feelings) when faces with big decisions, but our brain chatter can override that.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
You'll be paying alot less taxes in CO as well, compared to NY State, so that would probably make up for the 5% pay cut right there. You didn't say which city in Colorado...if it's Denver & surrounding area, I would say definitely. Some of the other "cities" might be too small for you. It would definitely be a "culture" change but probably one for the better, IMO. To me having a job is better than not having a job, with family of 5, but only you can really decide that really.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,631,079 times
I would lean toward CO also but do you have family in NY? If so can they travel to see you and your family or perhaps even move out there with you? I myself love CO much more than the NY area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues