Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,946 times

Advertisements

This is my first post so bear with me

What we grew accustomed to in Vail:
-friendly locals
-little to no traffic
-low crime rate
-ample outdoor activities
-somewhat solid economy for this day and age
-culture
-small town vibe
-great place to raise a family

What we're looking for:
-all of the above plus...
-[work] great food scene - fine dining a plus
-[work] mid to high end real estate market
-max of 200,000 people
-snow is not ruled out but the record of 511" of snow did me in last winter. Cool your jets skiers! I know it was an epic year!

Have considered Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, and Ojai in California. Then heard of Bend, Oregon and parts of Washington but is there too much rain/snow there? Hawaii is too much of a process with moving, being far from the mainland, etc. We think we want to stick with the west coast but will not rule out the rest of the U.S.

Why we're moving:
-winters are a bit long
-lack of career opportunities
-high cost of living (not a major factor since we were still able to save but one regardless)

I understand this is a "needle in a haystack" but I thought I'd reach out because you never know until you ask.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
We left Vail 16 years ago and have moved all over the country since. We finally made it back to Vail 2 years ago, we just couldn't find the right fit in other places except for Basalt/Aspen for 5 years. Last year's snow was harsh on us too, but this year has been pretty easy.

Bend is nice and worth checking out, it's a fairly similar community mindset. Oregon/Washington isn't as wet as it's made out to be, but it's considerably more humid with less hours sunlight in the winter. The pay scale in Bend is nothing close to what we have here. We have such a high concentration of fine dining here, it's hard to find the same clusters in many areas, California will probably be your best bet if that's a necessity for work.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 AM

Thank you DogMama50. We'll probably end up back in Colorado later on down the road but not in a resort area. Our goal is to open a restaurant and with the high cost of living it's simply unattainable. Thanks again for your input!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Have you visited Taos? It's about the same size as Vail, nicer weather in winter, has mid- to high-end real estate market, fine dining scene, rich in culture, friendly, outdoor activities, etc.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post

Oregon/Washington isn't as wet as it's made out to be, but it's considerably more humid with less hours sunlight in the winter.
That's only true within the Cascades (where Bend is) or west of there.

East of the Cascades, Washington and Oregon are radically different and probably shouldn't even be included in the same states.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Have you visited Taos? It's about the same size as Vail, nicer weather in winter, has mid- to high-end real estate market, fine dining scene, rich in culture, friendly, outdoor activities, etc.
And, Santa Fe.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Thank you! Sounds like I need to plan a trip to NM. I've heard great things about both Taos and Santa Fe but haven't made it out that way.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
I've lived in both Santa fe and Taos, they are both unique, but very different from our valley. Look carefully at the education system if you have school age children.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I thought of Santa Fe, except for the request for little or no traffic Can't drive Cerrillos or St. Francis Drs & say that LOL However, Santa Fe does have the culture, fine dining, high end real estate, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues